Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 3:33:33 PM EDT
Hi there,

I'm going to build a new AR, but I have a simple question that I haven't been able to find a clear answer for.  I'm debating either a CAR or M4 build, but I can't quite find out how long the M4 handguards are when compared to the CAR ones.  I am going to put some YHM handguards with rails on it, but if the M4 handguards are really short (not having much room for accessories), I might go with a CAR build.

Does anyone have the measurements for the two?

Thanks a lot!
-Parke1
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
They're the same length.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, now, don't I look silly?  Ok, that makes sense.  Are the M4 ones typically a different profile or something?  In most pictures they look different to me.

So I can buy CAR style handguards and put them on an M4 upper, right?

Thanks!
-Parke1
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They're interchangeable.  The difference is that proper M4 handguards are a bit wider and have double heatshields while the standard carbine handguards are narrower and taper a bit.  

The YHM carbine length handguards will fit an M4 upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top