Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 2:35:49 AM EDT
I did a search and was hoping for some new ideas or information on accomplishing this.  
It seems like the only problem is the front, pivot pin, the rear take down pin seems to be the same.

So from just a few minutes of messing around with a standard AR Upper and my Sporter Lower, it seems like if the pivot lug on the upper is opened up a bit, any AR Upper can be made to fit.

Anybody try this?  Is this a bad idea?  
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't open up the pivot pin hole.
There is a small offset with the Original big hole upper.
Use the adapter that is sold specialy for the set up you're thinking of.
If I'm not mistaken it is sold by Brownells and DPMS.
It's a variation on the original two screw SP1 pivot pin and will cost only a couple of bucks.
I had a .22 upper on my SP1 for a few years and I'm glad I used this adapter.
The .22 upper now sits on a new lower and the SP1 is back in it's original glory.

Stef.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said ^^^ Get the correct adaptor and it will fit and function perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
buy a couple, they tend to break
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, buy this :

http://www.fulton-armory.com/frontoffsetpinfcoltlarge-holelowerandsmall-holeupper.aspx

I had a little problem with it binding, so I hit the center portion with a Dremel (just a little bit) and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!!!!!
I forget what my search was when it picked up that Fulton Armory pin.  It sure seems like just the thing needed to put a standard Upper on the Sporter lower.

I will report back about how it turns out.

I would like to believe that I would have noticed something off before removing any metal from an Upper, but I sure am glad for the help before even going there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Btw... I also say buy a few... who knows what the future holds for AR's.

And FWIW.... my late 80's Large Pin has used the same offset pin that I bought 15+ years ago.... so mine has lasted quite well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top