Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:06:34 AM EDT
I am having a problem with my M261 kit where it does not want to feed correctly.  The bullets tend to lay horizontal instead of at an angle when in the magazine, instead of ramping up and feeding into the chamber, it catches on the lip of the magazine and then jams the gun.

I had attributed this to the use of Remington Subsonics, normal .22 fouling, and suppressor use, but it happens with regular CCI and Winchester .22 with and without the suppressor.

I dissasembled the magazines and cleaned them thoroughly and stretched out the springs a bit last night, and I am considering using a file, to file down the lip on the magazine.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am having a problem with my M261 kit where it does not want to feed correctly.  The bullets tend to lay horizontal instead of at an angle when in the magazine, instead of ramping up and feeding into the chamber, it catches on the lip of the magazine and then jams the gun.

I had attributed this to the use of Remington Subsonics, normal .22 fouling, and suppressor use, but it happens with regular CCI and Winchester .22 with and without the suppressor.

I dissasembled the magazines and cleaned them thoroughly and stretched out the springs a bit last night, and I am considering using a file, to file down the lip on the magazine.

Any other suggestions?

I can't believe you have not gotten any replies yet!
Are you using a good GI magazine -- the M261 insert mags work best in a good GI mag.
When you have the mag loaded does it look like the picture below?

The first round loaded usually sits nice and high and the rounds tend to level off as the magazine is loaded. Try using plain old round nosed high velocity ammo and see if you still have the problem.

Is the bullet actually catching on the front of the mag or on the lower lip of the chamber?

The M261 insert mag should have a little support tongue in the front of the insert mag -- this tongue helps to keep the front of the mag aligned with the M261 chamber. Also, if you look at the top of the insert you will see that just in front of the area where the 22lr bullet sits is a slight ramp -- when the magazine is in the rifle that ramp should line up with the lower part of the chamber which is also slightly ramped. Check that alignment -- it can't be off much if you are using anything other than round nosed bullets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I was using Remington Golden Bullet Bulk Hollowpoints from Walmart in mine, but I had the same problems that you're describing. Try using a copper coated, high velocity, hardball round and see if that fixes anything. It fixed my problems to switch over to the Hardball Remington Golden Bullet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda off topic, but where can I purchase more M-261 Mags?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I got two with my kit, and I just did a general search for them on ebay and came across them on some kind of second rate magazine supplier's website.  I got them for 12.00 a piece.  But then again, as you can tell from above, I am having trouble with them.

Back to the topic at hand, so you all think that the ammo is the main problem, using the Remington Hollow Point sub sonic ammo?  Do you not think that feed ramps on the mag could be filed, rounded, smoothed, or otherwise enhanced to help this problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried shooting my kit today and had similar problems.  I am using Federal 22lr high velocity.  It appears the head of the bullet is not quite feeding into the chamber.  That is where it is getting caught up.  

Should the insert be sitting at a certain angle while in the AR mag body?   Sometimes I can shoot like 4-6 rounds and then a FTF.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Kinda off topic, but where can I purchase more M-261 Mags?

www.sarcoinc.com/m261.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The bullet should be sitting almost flat in the mag insert....the insert should be pushed as far forward as possible.....the small tab on the front of the insert should be in contact with the front of the mag....also make sure the ramp and chamber are clean....this works for me with almost no feed problems....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
user426, Thanks for the tips. I'll try that next when I'm out at the range.  Would lightly polishing the feed ramp help in feeding the 22lr?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had problems with the Remmington bulk stuff in my M261, but it didn't work well in a Ruger Mark II or a Walther P22 either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]

The bullet should be sitting almost flat in the mag insert....the insert should be pushed as far forward as possible.....the small tab on the front of the insert should be in contact with the front of the mag....also make sure the ramp and chamber are clean....this works for me with almost no feed problems....

In addition to what User426 says, I find that if I tip the front of the M261 mag insert UP slightly as I insert it into the magwell, it wil feed with no problems. If you don't tip it UP slightly, it won't feed. Ammuntion doesn't seem to be the problem, since I have the same problem with Remington Golden HP's and the Dynapoints.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I was playing at the range today....and I found that the inserts fit much better in 30 round mags... they hold the insert at the proper angle and the insert doesn't move around too much...  I had the same experience with 22LR and 17 HM2,,,,,,
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks user, I'll try the inserts with the my 30 rd mags and see what happens.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
you can also get the mags from numrich for 13.60 per mag.
mpi
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top