BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2013 9:06:59 AM EDT
I know there has been some discussion here about these kits and I have some questions.

The Sportsmans Guidehttp://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=1115592 kit days it comes with everything but the disconector,  lower receiver, and barrel.

The McKays Kit http://store.mckay-ent.com/featured/ak74-parts-kit.html comes with everything but the trigger guard, lower receiver and barrel.

I am looking to get a lower from nodak http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htmand a barrel from ar15sport.com http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19.

If I get the barrel from them it already comes with the FSB attatched.

So, depending on the kit all I will need is a trigger guard or a disconnector??

Am I missing anything here??

Thanks , Joe
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Might need a disconnector regardless of which kit you buy but you could call and ask on McKay (is shown in pic).  A lot of the Century imported kits had the disconnector yanked in previous shipment.  Don't know about the latest shipment.  Appears they are probably gonna vary a little in condition to me.  Guessing the pieces with a little wear will be parted out but just guessing here.  Regardless on disconnector it's no big deal.   Gonna neuter it anyway.  Also guessing on the trigger guards they were left on the de-mills.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The first batch of kits had the trigger guard, nice one too.  Dunno about this second line of kits.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody see a benefit for one kit over the other??
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anybody see a benefit for one kit over the other??

They are coming from same place.  Think it's luck of the draw for parts condition.  I bought some of the first batch and most the parts were excellent condition.  Gas tubes in mine leaved a little to be desired.  Appeared to have seen some heat.  Real discolored at FSB and lots of fouling.  Furniture wasn't the best either.  Small parts showed no wear.  Think I'd go with best price and that is probably yet to come.  Without a barrel even in todays frenzy market it's kinda hard to justify any more coins than they are asking.  If you want to build a Colt clone it's almost one stop shopping.  NDS receiver and a barrel figure a nice almost Colt for $1000ish.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know there has been some discussion here about these kits and I have some questions.

The Sportsmans Guidehttp://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=1115592 kit days it comes with everything but the disconector,  lower receiver, and barrel.

The McKays Kit http://store.mckay-ent.com/featured/ak74-parts-kit.html comes with everything but the trigger guard, lower receiver and barrel.

I am looking to get a lower from nodak http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htmand a barrel from ar15sport.com http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19.

If I get the barrel from them it already comes with the FSB attatched.

So, depending on the kit all I will need is a trigger guard or a disconnector??

Am I missing anything here??

Thanks , Joe

If you end up just needing a TG, and can settle for black, (you'd have to refinish it if upper and lower is grey) IM me and I'll send you one.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Morg308

IM Sent
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Are any places parting these out and selling just the upper receiver?
Dustin
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Apex has the complete uppers but the "very good" condition ones are still pretty worn with a little rust on the steel parts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. Looks like they went up $50 too.
Dustin
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know what country these kits are coming from?
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
First post here,  I just ordered one of the McKay kits yesterday, the salesman was very decent  and generous with his phone time considering the circumstances....

I've got my fingers crossed this will be a nice kit to begin with. I have a 20" barrel on backorder with RRA along with a few small parts.    I'm hoping to get a retro lower on order from Nodak tomorrow, but if that falls through I've  got one on backorder at DSG Arms.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I remember hearing that the kits were from unused, crated M-16s sent to Isreal, from U.S., in the mid to late 70s. Apparently forgotten but when found CAI (Century) did the legal legwork and got them demilled and imported back to the US, assembled the kits and distributed them to retailers. Don't know if that is a true story or not .

Daf

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember hearing that the kits were from unused, crated M-16s sent to Isreal, from U.S., in the mid to late 70s. Apparently forgotten but when found CAI (Century) did the legal legwork and got them demilled and imported back to the US, assembled the kits and distributed them to retailers. Don't know if that is a true story or not .

Daf

Cool too bad the FEDS wont let them evil barrels come back home! They all have a date with a cutting torch!
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
So what is the final consensus, are these worth the price or should one just wait and see if the price drops?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what is the final consensus, are these worth the price or should one just wait and see if the price drops?

I'm surprised that there are any left - there must have been quite a surplus!  

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
i don't see a bolt in the McKays Kit ???
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i don't see a bolt in the McKays Kit ???

BCG is there.  A member from another thread called to confirm with McKay.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi all..long time.

I also just purchased a SG Colt kit... sans barrel.
I'm placing my order tomorrow with Harlan for the retro AR receiver but I need to know where to get a correct barrel?
I'm missing the disconnector also..where can one get that?

I'm an AK guy[14+ yrs] but also wanted a retro AR and figure now is time to take the plunge.

Thx

Jorg
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Lot of competition for correct Colt LW barrels for the last few years.  GB and EE usually have one every other day.  Got to either be fast or ready to spend or both.  Got any local pawnshops or gunshops?  Good place to possibly find a deal.  CMP Chrome Bore will be correct for upper if they are still CH code this time around.  If you can post a pic or two after you get it cleaned up most here would enjoy them.  You need a Colt disconnector?  Any disconnector will work and Colt didn't mfg them not to mention it's hard to see.  Brownell's used to sell Colt disconnectors reasonably priced for Colt parts NIB.  Search Colt and M-16.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]
My SG kit shipped today, so their kits must be in. If turns out to be nice, I might just use my NOS C MP C barrel to complete it. I won't go to Retro Hell for that, will I? Might go with a three prong flash hider but that might be pushing it...
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My SG kit shipped today, so their kits must be in. If turns out to be nice, I might just use my NOS C MP C barrel to complete it. I won't go to Retro Hell for that, will I? Might go with a three prong flash hider but that might be pushing it...

what ever makes you happy, as long as you don't tapcofuck it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#22]
The Mckay kits sure are going fast. When I ordered mine a week ago, there were 89. Now it's down to 33.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered a kit from McKay on the 31st and am waiting for it to ship. Really looking forward to it coming in. My 604 build was completed today and I'm anxious to get a 603 complete to go with it. Been several years since I was forced out of the retro game.

Quoted:
The Mckay kits sure are going fast. When I ordered mine a week ago, there were 89. Now it's down to 33.

I ordered mine when there were 94 left. May have to grab a second before they hit 0.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I ordered mine when there were 94 left. May have to grab a second before they hit 0.

I might have to do the same. Damn, I can remember it wasn't too long ago That was as much as I put into the whole gun. Maybe I should just get another Garand...
I must be getting old.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I hear you.  I remember buying complete 603 uppers for $250-275 with bcgs, slapping them on any inexpensive lower I could find and throwing a type D stock on 'em and calling it good. Had a safe full of A1s and don't recall having more than $500 in any. Though rose colored glasses aside, I'm happier with the options we have now as far as lowers go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Should still be 1700 plus kits available if 2000 was the correct number.  Might want to wait for better pricing.  Might be a mistake to wait.  Decisions,  decisions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a kit in today from SG. Definitely not the quality of the kits to come in previously. Stock had a busted buttplate (thank God I had a new one). The buttstock screws were rusty, as well as the sling swivel. The buttstock itself cleaned up nicely. The tube, buffer and spring were clean. The upper had several large scratches and the port door would not remain closed. The handguards were nice and not cracked. There was no cleaning kit or sling included. The bolt carrier was nice, but the bolt had to have the gas rings changed out. The FCG was nice showing little wear. Not all the small parts were there. From what I have seen this time it will come down to the luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Uhm, isnt that pretty close to what they went for the first time around a few years ago? In this day and time thats too high? Did i miss something?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Who  has the correct barrels for these kits?

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd like to know too. The only one that I know of, and they are out of stock, are these guys. http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19

An original would be nice, but I'd be happy with a newly manufactured one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't know much about them but Green Mountain said they would have them around the end of January.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know too. The only one that I know of, and they are out of stock, are these guys. http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19

An original would be nice, but I'd be happy with a newly manufactured one.

DPMS has a light weight barrel as well I am not sure if it is correct or not

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#33]
That DPMS barrel looks pretty good... In stock and free shipping...
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#34]
From reports I think they're .75 under the FSB instead of .625 which looks odd; plus its been said they take forever to ship (only produce batches when they get enough orders). It would be nice if that's changed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That DPMS barrel looks pretty good... In stock and free shipping...

I agree---looks very nice. Been looking for a 20" pencil barrel for a while. I just wonder if they are allowing an "add to cart" to take the order---actually not in stock? I did that with Del-Ton some days ago. At least I have a place in line. Might also do the same with DPMS.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
From reports I think they're .75 under the FSB instead of .625 which looks odd;

.750 is the odd looking one?

Thanks for the info. I was wondering which one it came with.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#37]
IF IF IF the DPMS barrel is actually in stock, I am reasonably certain an interested party could send it off to John Thomas to be turned down for a proper FSB, and have him park and mount the FSB as well and get it back all in one piece in an amazingly short period of time.

The interested party would have to actually confirm all that with J-T, of course, not to mention get his grubby paws on the actual barrel, but my guess is J-T would be GTG and blazing fast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a little confused on this barrel thing..

Will the DPMS Barrel work on the McKay's kit??

Thanks, Joe
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks, Joe

Why wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks, Joe

Will it work? Sure.  Any AR15 barrel will "work".  The discussion here is how "correct" it would look.
The early Colt "pencil" barrels have a diameter of .625 under the front sight base.  Many later barrels, even if they're called "light profile" are turned down from heavier stock, and to maintain FSB interchangeability with heavier barrels, many manufacturers leave that small area under the front sight at the larger  (.750") diameter.
So while any barrel will "work" (as in function as designed), some won't look quite like the originals.

Whether that matters to you...well, that's up to you!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Joe

Will it work? Sure.  Any AR15 barrel will "work".  The discussion here is how "correct" it would look.
The early Colt "pencil" barrels have a diameter of .625 under the front sight base.  Many later barrels, even if they're called "light profile" are turned down from heavier stock, and to maintain FSB interchangeability with heavier barrels, many manufacturers leave that small area under the front sight at the larger  (.750") diameter.
So while any barrel will "work" (as in function as designed), some won't look quite like the originals.

Whether that matters to you...well, that's up to you!

I ordered  one of the DPMS barrels. Their website does not say out of stock and it said nothing about it being back ordered so I am not sure when I will get it. I have never ordered from DPMs before. Does anybody  know how long it is taking McKay to ship the parts kits?

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#42]

I ordered  one of the DPMS barrels. Their website does not say out of stock and it said nothing about it being back ordered so I am not sure when I will get it. I have never ordered from DPMs before. Does anybody  know how long it is taking McKay to ship the parts kits?

[/quote]

I recently ordered the DPMS barrel and the McKay's kit..

McKay's has charged my credit card and their website shows my order as being processed..

I'll post to this thread as things progress..
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm mulling over ordering one of those DPMS barrels too. I can probably turn down the area under the FSB if that's all that needs to be corrected.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#44]
The contour looks wrong on the shoulder, before the muzzle threads.

Need to blend out those angles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#45]
It's definitely heavier under the HGs than a USGI profile. Looks like .750 all the way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Maybe we should make some inquiries to Green Mountain about this barrel.  It's darned close, nearly perfect and with the like of JT installing FSBs, could be a winner!  Maybe they don't see the need to re-tool it like we do.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Got my sportsman guide parts kit today.  No cracks or rust.  I recieved my green mountain barrel friday.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Got my sportsman guide parts kit today.  No cracks or rust.  I recieved my green mountain barrel friday.
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a476/PowerRanger40/20130114_173439.jpg
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a476/PowerRanger40/20130114_173502.jpg

Kind of hard to tell but the BCG is in the upper right?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got a kit in today from SG. Definitely not the quality of the kits to come in previously. Stock had a busted buttplate (thank God I had a new one). The buttstock screws were rusty, as well as the sling swivel. The buttstock itself cleaned up nicely. The tube, buffer and spring were clean. The upper had several large scratches and the port door would not remain closed. The handguards were nice and not cracked. There was no cleaning kit or sling included. The bolt carrier was nice, but the bolt had to have the gas rings changed out. The FCG was nice showing little wear. Not all the small parts were there. From what I have seen this time it will come down to the luck of the draw.

Mine is similar. Packing job was awful, they just put the small parts in a ziploc bag, then dumped everything else in the box with a piece of wadded up paper on the top and bottom. Items inside moved freely when box moved.

Furniture: Buttplate cracked in two places, trapdoor in good shape. Screws and rear swivel in good shape with minimal finish wear. Stock itself was in good shape with some minor scratches. Taped to the buttstock was a small tag with what presumably was the s/n of the rifle it came from: 9328094. Handguards are in overall good shape, but a tooth was broken off the Right handguard. As the broken tooth was in the box, this presumably happened during shipping. Pistol grip is mottled, unlike the rest of the furniture, and in good shape.  

Upper Receiver parts : Upper receiver marked CH, has a number of scratches and some wear. Most of the scratches were probably from the shipping. FA has surface rust. Door works OK but is brown. FSB complete and in good shape, "C" marked. Gas tube looks OK, but dirty...no roll pin. Slip ring and barrel nut assembly filthy but little wear. Flash hider looks like new. Got two handguard caps, both in nice shape. BCG is nice, with a little finish wear on the bolt lugs and some on the left side of the changing handle.  

Lower parts:  Disconnector was present, FCG shows little wear but either hammer or trigger pin missing. Mag catch, bolt catch, pins and selector show little wear. Buffer tube, buffer and spring clean and in good shape.

Missing:

1 pivot/takedown detent and spring
Selector detent
1 trigger/hammer pin
trigger guard and roll pin
gas tube pin

Received extra handguard cap. Disconnector was also included, though description says it should not have been.

I would have been happier if they had packed this better....it would have solved two of the biggest issues I have with the kit...but overall a decent rifle could be built from it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#50]
It was in the upper reciever.  Took it out and it looks unused.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top