Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/22/2012 6:36:00 PM EST
Is there a difference between a standard AR receiver and one intended for a pistol? I thought they were one and the same but now I'm having my doubts. If I don't ask I will never know and always feel like a liberal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:44:25 PM EST
The writing on the side may be different but functionally... identical.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:56:46 PM EST
I sure feel better now and a bit wisor. Thanks for the quick response. I love this sport!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:04:41 PM EST
Functionally, no difference. Exact same part.

The difference is in the legality / paperwork. If your lower was purchased as part of rifle, it was recorded on the 4473 transfer as a "rifle". It can never have a sub 16" barrel (as most pistols are) without a $200 Short Barrel Rifle tax stamp.

If, however, your lower started as a bare, stripped lower, or purchased as a pistol, then it was transfered on the 4473 as "other", "receiver" only, or "pistol". In this case, the unit can be built up as a pistol.

There are more nuances, but that's the gist of it. Your state may have additional regulations for pistols as well.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:50:27 PM EST
My lower receiver came as a bare bones receiver which means it can go either way.

I also own an XP100 action that started out as a pistol. Would that mean that I could build a sub 16 inch shoulder mounted fire arm with it since it originated as a pistol? Or is there a reg against a shoulder mounted pistol? It presently sits in a benchrest stock with a heavy .222 Remington barrel on it 26 inches long?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:26:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zummie:
My lower receiver came as a bare bones receiver which means it can go either way.

I also own an XP100 action that started out as a pistol. Would that mean that I could build a sub 16 inch shoulder mounted fire arm with it since it originated as a pistol? Or is there a reg against a shoulder mounted pistol? It presently sits in a benchrest stock with a heavy .222 Remington barrel on it 26 inches long?

If by "shoulder mounted fire arm" you mean "has a stock", then it's no longer a pistol, it's a SBR and needs a stamp.

Pistol:

SBR:

Top Top