Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 7:36:00 PM EDT
Is there a difference between a standard AR receiver and one intended for a pistol?  I thought they were one and the same but now I'm having my doubts.  If I don't ask I will never know and always feel like a liberal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The writing on the side may be different but functionally... identical.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I sure feel better now and a bit wisor.  Thanks for the quick response.  I love this sport!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Functionally, no difference.  Exact same part.

The difference is in the legality / paperwork.  If your lower was purchased as part of rifle, it was recorded on the 4473 transfer as a "rifle".  It can never have a sub 16" barrel (as most pistols are) without a $200 Short Barrel Rifle tax stamp.

If, however, your lower started as a bare, stripped lower, or purchased as a pistol, then it was transfered on the 4473 as "other", "receiver" only, or "pistol".  In this case, the unit can be built up as a pistol.

There are more nuances, but that's the gist of it.  Your state may have additional regulations for pistols as well.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My lower receiver came as a bare bones receiver which means it can go either way.  

I also own an XP100 action that started out as a pistol.  Would that mean that I could build a sub 16 inch shoulder mounted fire arm with it since it originated as a pistol?  Or is there a reg against a shoulder mounted pistol?  It presently sits in a benchrest stock with a heavy .222 Remington barrel on it 26 inches long?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My lower receiver came as a bare bones receiver which means it can go either way.  

I also own an XP100 action that started out as a pistol.  Would that mean that I could build a sub 16 inch shoulder mounted fire arm with it since it originated as a pistol?  Or is there a reg against a shoulder mounted pistol?  It presently sits in a benchrest stock with a heavy .222 Remington barrel on it 26 inches long?

If by "shoulder mounted fire arm" you mean "has a stock", then it's no longer a pistol, it's a SBR and needs a stamp.

Pistol:

SBR:

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top