Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 1:20:46 PM EDT
I am looking to finish a lower receiver in flat black. I have used two kinds of (cheap) finish and it doesn't stay on very well. Could someone point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The only proper way is to have it hard coat anodized...that is if its forged. If you don't hard coat finish your lower will get beat out of shape.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I will check into it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Call these folks. Get it done right.

[url]http://www.fortwayneanodizing.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
In the spirit of the board....

anodize it yourself.

Many of us are anodizing and dying our projects ourselves.  Mine turn out great with the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
have LCW refinish it for you for $45.  email me for pics of the lower they just refinished for me.

[url]www.lauerweaponry.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
have LCW refinish it for you for $45.  email me for pics of the lower they just refinished for me.

[url]www.lauerweaponry.com[/url]
View Quote

I like the thought of doing it myself. I went to the above website and found the dura bake and the durocoat. Which would be the best to use. looks like the dura bake is in one can and you don't have to add hardner and mess up a spray gun. Would the dura bake be a long lasting and durable finish. You said they just refinished one for you. Which method did you use. Never mind about that I just looked at at the web site again and Looks like you used the dura coat. The price posted by them is $45.00 for the duracoat and $140.00 for the durabake. I wonder why the durabake is so much higher. Does it suppose to last longer or what??
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Try John Norrells Moly Resin.He will supply you with enough to refinsh 2 AR15's for $21.00 inc. shipping,in any colour you want to match.If its good enough for SOCOM and the military(hey use it to refinish M16's) then it's good enough for us mere mortals.(www.MolyResin.com)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Try John Norrells 'Moly Resin'.He will supply you with enough to refinsh 2 AR15's for $21.00 inc. shipping,in any colour you want to match.If its good enough for SOCOM and the military(they use it to refinish M16's) then it's good enough for us mere mortals.(www.MolyResin.com)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]
OK I'm going to the web site and check it out. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I was at the WAC gun show in Puyallup, WA a few weeks ago, and Eric from Vltor was there with his state of the art line of stocks(I picked up one of the clubfoot carbine modstocks)

[url]http://www.vltor.com[/url]

He had refinished his display rifle with the collapsible modstock with KG Gun Kote, from KG Industries Inc. I went to KG's website and decided that's the finish I'm going to use, with their K-Phos as the undercoat.
Check it out:

[url]http://www.kgcoatings.com/gun-kote/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
In the spirit of the board - you did post here - check this out.

[url]http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html [/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you send a preban lower to Colt to have them re-anodize the Colt dark grey lower to match the black finish of current LE ARs, has anyone done that?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I was wondering the same thing. I just had an all COLT M4 built for me using a pre ban (Grey Anodized) lower and all the current (Black Anodized) parts. The two-tone contrast just kept bugging me, so I wanted to have the upper and lower refinished in a flat black to match and look "stock" new again. I just sent it out to ROBAR Industries to get the upper and lower redone in their MATTE BLACK "ROGUARD" finish. I was told by the builder of my rifle that ROBAR had the best refinish work he had ever seen on AR rifles. But I did wonder about what you mentioned about sneding the parts back to COLT if they could all be redone in their current "BLACK" reciever anodizing. I would like to know if any one out there has done this.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
[b] What ever finish you decide to use let us know how it comes out and post pics if you can . Thanks and good luck  [/b]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I have ordered the $21.00 Moly Resin from Norrell's. It has not got here yet. I am looking for the shipment in a day or two. As soon as I am able to get the lower cleaned up again(It has a sorry finish I put on it now)I will try to  apply the Moly Resin. I'll let you all know the outcome. Thanks for every one's reply to my problem.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top