Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:37:20 AM EDT
I recently built my first AR and while installing the safety/selector, I noticed it is not a tight as my factory Bushy or Colt. It dosen't "snap" into place, just kind of swings. it does stay in place and is no real trouble, but what did I do wrong? I have tried replaceing the detent spring, but it doesnt seem to help. TIA
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
To me, this is a good thing.  Sometimes I find the selectors to be way too tight.  Just make sure you installed the correct detent with the "pointy" end towards the selector, and the spring is holding sufficient pressure between the grip and the detent.

If its really loose, it just means the manufacturer of the selector did not deepen the detent holes in the safe and fire position as much as others... therefore, the detent is not holding it so tightly in place.  If you really wanted it tighter, you could get a drill or dremel, and deepen/sharpen these holes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recently built my first AR and while installing the safety/selector, I noticed it is not a tight as my factory Bushy or Colt. It dosen't "snap" into place, just kind of swings. it does stay in place and is no real trouble, but what did I do wrong? I have tried replaceing the detent spring, but it doesnt seem to help. TIA

Sounds like you might have a burr obstructing the detent or spring.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sounds like you might have a burr obstructing the detent or spring.

Good point.

Remove the selector, then reinstall the detent and spring, and the detent should stick WAY up into the selector hole.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top