Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 4:34:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a while.  I want to build a super light AR.  My lightweight M4gery has really turned into a heavy pig as the years have gone by ;) .

I see that Bushmaster has a Superlight 16" barrel.  Tempting, but I'm interested in the longer sight radius of the Dissispator style barrels.  Does anybody make a lightweight dissipator barrel?  Anybody know the weight difference between the new Superlight and a Dissipator?

Thanks in advance,

Lukejt
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Other than Bushmaster? I don't think so. You could always have someone cut down a 20" govt. profile barrel and open up the gas port.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I went ahead and ordered a Bushmaster Dissipator.  I see that BM does lighten the thing under the handguards in the M4 profile.  I want to use open sights on this gun, so the longer radius is a big plus.  Looking to try out a CAV Arms lower for added weight savings.

Lukejt
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I called BM today and asked them the difference between the two.  They guy simply said "ounces, maybe half a pound.".  That was not enough difference for me to switch.  I've just been cautious about what I'm mounting to the thing.  That's why the only things I haven't changed are the handguards and the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The best thing to do is have a Gov't profile 20" barrel cut to 16" and have any gas port work done that's needed.

ETA:  Actually, thinking more about it, is there enough material on an SP1 20" barrel to thread the new muzzle if it were to be cut down to 16"?  If there is, then you can't get any lighter than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top