Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2011 8:15:21 AM EDT
Hey guys i found a pretty good deal on a brand new Chiappa arms .22 M4 style upper. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this upper.  I do know that the barrel is made from milspec steel, but the upper itself is a synthetic material.  The way i see it, with .22 this shouldnt matter a whole lot, its not like the upper has to be super durable. I dont plan on shooting it in any matches, so im not extreamly concerned with accuracy.  And i would rather not get a conversion kit, 1 because my brother has a CMMG conversion kit in his rifle and it is impossibly stuck, 2 i would rather preserve the life of my barrel and gas system.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at those at one point, but I haven't read anything about them. CMMG is all over the place around here, so I bought a dedicated upper for $350. It is well worth the extra money to know you have a good product and people that stand behind it.

Besides your probably gonna spend right at $300 by the time you ship it.

I don't regret buying my CMMG.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would spend a little extra and get the CMMG with black bolt to be close to the price range.
Dave N
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one. Front sight broke day 1, didn't cycle ammo. FTF's, and FTE's constantly.... all with NO support from Chiappa. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you all my un-responded to e-mails from Chiappa. Won't return phone calls either. Ended up buying a CMMG upper.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Do some searching on this upper before buying one. There is a reason CMMG has taken over the .22 AR market with a quality unit at a fair price.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My chiappa upper has been 100% flawless since I bought it. For a 22 plinker, I just don't see the advantage in paying the extra money for a CMMG.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad it's working out for you
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 of the Chiappa uppers on 2 Plum Crazy lowers.  They are very light and make a good light weight build.  I built 1 of them for the wife and she loves it.  I got mine for $250 each so they were a good price.  I am happy so far and have put over 1000 rounds through each one.  I guess I will see how they hold up for the long run.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Had one. Front sight broke day 1, didn't cycle ammo. FTF's, and FTE's constantly.... all with NO support from Chiappa. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you all my un-responded to e-mails from Chiappa. Won't return phone calls either. Ended up buying a CMMG upper.

Pretty much my story.  I ended up building a CMMG from parts.  Night and day difference.  Spend a little bit extra and get the CMMG.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much my story.  I ended up building a CMMG from parts.  Night and day difference.  Spend a little bit extra and get the CMMG.  

I don't have any experience with Chiappa but I did just get a CMMG upper in .22. Thing is great! The Bolt Hold Open Actuator worked very well with the BHO magazines.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I was also thinking about getting a Chiappa arms .22 upper. After reading this thread I think I'll end up getting a CMMG upper.

Not to take over this thread but I do have a couple of questions:

Is the CMMG dedicated upper reciever made just like a .223/5.56 upper reciever?
If I wanted could I remove the barrel from the reciever and put in a .222/5.56 barrel and use it for a build?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes to all the above.
Sent you an IM
Dave N
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'm new here, but I'll give you my impressions.

I bought a Chiappa and a Plum crazy lower, thinking I'd get into a .22 AR for plinking, and because, frankly, I'm a pretty poor person, so I don't have big money to buy expensive guns.  I figured I'd update it as I went along.  I had to shave the plum crazy firing pin (too poor to buy the blowback hammer.

I had horrible fail to feeds, and failure to ejects, BUT...

I grabbed a barrel cleaning brush for an Ar15, stuck it in a drill, and just "polished" the feed ramp, and throat and chamber.  Just polished the crap outta it.

it now shoots completely flawlessly, and I just love it.

Jeff

That's the reason I'm here (that rifle).
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top