Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2011 8:15:21 AM EDT
Hey guys i found a pretty good deal on a brand new Chiappa arms .22 M4 style upper. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this upper.  I do know that the barrel is made from milspec steel, but the upper itself is a synthetic material.  The way i see it, with .22 this shouldnt matter a whole lot, its not like the upper has to be super durable. I dont plan on shooting it in any matches, so im not extreamly concerned with accuracy.  And i would rather not get a conversion kit, 1 because my brother has a CMMG conversion kit in his rifle and it is impossibly stuck, 2 i would rather preserve the life of my barrel and gas system.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at those at one point, but I haven't read anything about them. CMMG is all over the place around here, so I bought a dedicated upper for $350. It is well worth the extra money to know you have a good product and people that stand behind it.

Besides your probably gonna spend right at $300 by the time you ship it.

I don't regret buying my CMMG.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would spend a little extra and get the CMMG with black bolt to be close to the price range.
Dave N
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one. Front sight broke day 1, didn't cycle ammo. FTF's, and FTE's constantly.... all with NO support from Chiappa. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you all my un-responded to e-mails from Chiappa. Won't return phone calls either. Ended up buying a CMMG upper.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Do some searching on this upper before buying one. There is a reason CMMG has taken over the .22 AR market with a quality unit at a fair price.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My chiappa upper has been 100% flawless since I bought it. For a 22 plinker, I just don't see the advantage in paying the extra money for a CMMG.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad it's working out for you
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 of the Chiappa uppers on 2 Plum Crazy lowers.  They are very light and make a good light weight build.  I built 1 of them for the wife and she loves it.  I got mine for $250 each so they were a good price.  I am happy so far and have put over 1000 rounds through each one.  I guess I will see how they hold up for the long run.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Had one. Front sight broke day 1, didn't cycle ammo. FTF's, and FTE's constantly.... all with NO support from Chiappa. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you all my un-responded to e-mails from Chiappa. Won't return phone calls either. Ended up buying a CMMG upper.

Pretty much my story.  I ended up building a CMMG from parts.  Night and day difference.  Spend a little bit extra and get the CMMG.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much my story.  I ended up building a CMMG from parts.  Night and day difference.  Spend a little bit extra and get the CMMG.  

I don't have any experience with Chiappa but I did just get a CMMG upper in .22. Thing is great! The Bolt Hold Open Actuator worked very well with the BHO magazines.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I was also thinking about getting a Chiappa arms .22 upper. After reading this thread I think I'll end up getting a CMMG upper.

Not to take over this thread but I do have a couple of questions:

Is the CMMG dedicated upper reciever made just like a .223/5.56 upper reciever?
If I wanted could I remove the barrel from the reciever and put in a .222/5.56 barrel and use it for a build?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes to all the above.
Sent you an IM
Dave N
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'm new here, but I'll give you my impressions.

I bought a Chiappa and a Plum crazy lower, thinking I'd get into a .22 AR for plinking, and because, frankly, I'm a pretty poor person, so I don't have big money to buy expensive guns.  I figured I'd update it as I went along.  I had to shave the plum crazy firing pin (too poor to buy the blowback hammer.

I had horrible fail to feeds, and failure to ejects, BUT...

I grabbed a barrel cleaning brush for an Ar15, stuck it in a drill, and just "polished" the feed ramp, and throat and chamber.  Just polished the crap outta it.

it now shoots completely flawlessly, and I just love it.

Jeff

That's the reason I'm here (that rifle).
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top