Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2023 1:59:57 PM EDT
So I've been on an optic buying spree lately ever since I developed a slight astigmatism in my dominant eye (not enough to warrant glasses but enough to be a minor nuisance with optics).

Unfortunately, my favorite optic, the ACOG is no longer usable with the chevron and blooming. Even if I tape the tritium, I get the same effect.

Currently a holo with a magnifier is far and wide the best optic for me. Aimpoints are ok but fatigue my eye a little bit. LPVOs are just not for me.

I want to give the Elcan a try. I think the full crosshair will help but this is one of those optics that just has bad information everywhere on it.

Did anyone deal with POI shift between 1x and 4x?

Without consideration of price, would you recommend it? What's your experience?

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Thread from a few weeks ago had a few haters. Search it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thread from a few weeks ago had a few haters. Search it?
View Quote

Tried. Got a few hits but weren't very helpful.

Any chance you have a link?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen POI shift from 1x to 4x.

I think the consensus was that may have been an issue on very early elcans and it just continued to be a thing that people repeated.

I think you'll be happy with it. I love using mine. I'm always slapping it between 1 and 4x.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Hands down the best looking optic of its era ...

It is very tough and usable ...

Is it worth the squeeze ... well ... I rather have a Razor 1-6 ...

I've had 3 Elcans ...
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think the consensus was that may have been an issue on very early elcans and it just continued to be a thing that people repeated.

I think you'll be happy with it. I love using mine. I'm always slapping it between 1 and 4x. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310196/20230409_220237-2776982.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think you'll be happy with it. I love using mine. I'm always slapping it between 1 and 4x. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310196/20230409_220237-2776982.jpg

Quoted:
Hands down the best looking optic of its era ...

It is very tough and usable ...

Is it worth the squeeze ... well ... I rather have a Razor 1-6 ...

I've had 3 Elcans ...

Appreciate this feedback boys.

I'd still argue the 4x32 ACOG is the best looking though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
- Clear glass
- Great daylight bright dot
- Fast
- Heavy
- Bulky
- Expensive
- Usable "BUIS" built in to top of optic
- Weird battery size
- Not great battery life
- Not lefty friendly
- BUIS are useless as viewed through glass
- Eye relief necessitated moving the optic to the very rear of the upper, thus eliminating the rear BUIS.
- Things can get jammed up in the external windage/elevation controls

Very niche and specialized piece of equipment that served a specific role very well. Unless going for a mil clone, there are better solutions. I don't have mine any longer and I don't miss it.

Pic of mine during mock up before I realized that I would have to remove the rear BUIS and move the optic all the way rearward.

Attachment Attached File

EDIT:

I have an astigmatism as well. I use an EXPS 3-0 in conjunction with a 3x magnifier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
- Clear glass
- Fast
- Heavy
- Bulky
- Expensive
- Weird battery size
- Not great battery life
- Not lefty friendly
- Eye relief necessitated moving the optic to the very rear of the upper, thus eliminating the rear BUIS.

Very niche and specialized piece of equipment that served a specific role very well. Unless going for a mil clone, there are better solutions. I don't have mine any longer and I don't miss it.

Pic of mine during mock up before I realized that I would have to remove the rear BUIS and move the optic all the way rearward.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/DSC_0466_jpeg-2937548.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful Block II!

Any issues with POI shift?

Appreciate your response.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Beautiful Block II!

Any issues with POI shift?

Appreciate your response.
View Quote

Never had an issue but I didn't put more than a few hundred rounds through the ELCAN before getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Never had an issue but I didn't put more than a few hundred rounds through the ELCAN before getting rid of it.
View Quote

Thanks again.

Noticed you mentioned that you use the EoTech + Magnifier setup with an astigmatism as well. I'm running the EXPS3 with a G45 5x and it's the only setup so far that my vision doesn't feel compromised with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks again.

Noticed you mentioned that you use the EoTech + Magnifier setup with an astigmatism as well. I'm running the EXPS3 with a G45 5x and it's the only setup so far that my vision doesn't feel compromised with.
View Quote

No problem... Yeah, the EXPS is what I have found to be the best solution for blooming comets/spiderwebs.

Just remembered I gave the ELCAN on last try on my 300 BLK before listing it on EE.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I own several Elcans- a 1-4x, 1.5-6x, and two 4x's.They are all great glass. Heavier than some. Bombproof though.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The Optic Nobody Likes Enough to Keep
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If you shoot NTCH, or close to it, and don’t mind the optic height (it sits about absolute height, or slightly higher), then it’s an excellent scope. I had one on a Scar 17 for a while, had a few prior to that for various clone builds, and I really wanted to love it, but the aforementioned eye relief and height ended up being a deal breaker.

However, excellent reticle, daylight bright illumination, glass is awesome, it’s a great optic for what it is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I love mine. Wish it sat a little higher, I experimented with risers none really worked as I didn't want a 1.92" height. The arms mount sucks but the upgraded levers help alittle but don't expect return to zero. I've had no issue with switching magnification and POI shift. Make sure you get the newer model that takes CR2032 batteries. Glass is awesome but has a yellow tint In the Sun ( helps with snow brightness) a better mount and higher height ( current height you see the front sight in button of the sight picture) I would be all over it
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#15]
You shouldn’t have POI shift unless your DR is broken or super duper old. I’ll stick to ACOG/RMRs for most things, but I have a DR currently, I’ve owned multiple in the past, and they’re nice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I think everyone in here has convinced to me to at least try it. Worst case scenario it shouldn't be too hard to sell, especially the FDE for all the Block 2 builds
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#18]

well you can't do that one without this one
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
- Clear glass
- Fast
- Heavy
- Bulky
- Expensive
- Weird battery size
- Not great battery life
- Not lefty friendly

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/DSC_0466_jpeg-2937548.JPG

EDIT:

I have an astigmatism as well. I use an EXPS 3-0 in conjunction with a 3x magnifier.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20200408_123836_jpeg-2937551.JPG
View Quote

Wanting 4 separate sights on a single firearm seems little redundant redundant... but okay.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wanting 4 separate sights on a single firearm seems little redundant redundant... but okay.
View Quote

Don't act like we all wouldn't do that too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I've been on an optic buying spree lately ever since I developed a slight astigmatism in my dominant eye (not enough to warrant glasses but enough to be a minor nuisance with optics).

Unfortunately, my favorite optic, the ACOG is no longer usable with the chevron and blooming. Even if I tape the tritium, I get the same effect.

Currently a holo with a magnifier is far and wide the best optic for me. Aimpoints are ok but fatigue my eye a little bit. LPVOs are just not for me.

I want to give the Elcan a try. I think the full crosshair will help but this is one of those optics that just has bad information everywhere on it.

Did anyone deal with POI shift between 1x and 4x? Nope

Without consideration of price, would you recommend it? What's your experience?  Yes, I've got several freedom-sticks (ARs and SCAR 17) in this configuration...had'em for many years.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#22]
My son (active Army) shoots combat with several National Guard and Army Reserve team shooters at the National Guard Championships, AFSAM, and the All-Army.  Regs are tight and enforced as to issued optics (ACOGs and Elcans).

Elcans seem to be clearer with field of view and eye relief advantage.  Major problems have been zero retention and inconsistent adjustment -- the same as noted by Canadian Army shooters.

ACOGs seem to hold up better.

Competitive shooters make the ultimate choice with their wallets.  An advantage is an advantage.  Elcans have a certain attraction until you lose.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know if the Elcan fits against a MaTech BUIS?

I'd like to keep the BUIS on and had to take it off for the ACOG because the eye relief was impossible otherwise.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
My son (active Army) shoots combat with several National Guard and Army Reserve team shooters at the National Guard Championships, AFSAM, and the All-Army.  Regs are tight and enforced as to issued optics (ACOGs and Elcans).

Elcans seem to be clearer with field of view and eye relief advantage.  Major problems have been zero retention and inconsistent adjustment -- the same as noted by Canadian Army shooters.

Competitive shooters make the ultimate choice with their wallets.  An advantage is an advantage.  Elcans have a certain attraction until you lose.

Thank you guys
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd like to keep the BUIS on and had to take it off for the ACOG because the eye relief was impossible otherwise.

Thank you guys
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you guys

Yes, it’ll fit underneath.  

The slightly longer eye relief of the Elcan over the 4x ACOG might work for you, but it’s not much, so you may still have to remove the Matech to set eye relief properly for your preferred head positioning.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, it’ll fit underneath.  

The slightly longer eye relief of the Elcan over the 4x ACOG might work for you, but it’s not much, so you may still have to remove the Matech to set eye relief properly for your preferred head positioning.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I know half a dozen guys who were issued one and not single person was a fan. These are real shooters and a few are fellow gun nerds. POI shift, garbage throw levers, etc. A very cool option when it was new to market. At present, fit for cloning but far better options exist.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Why would ELCANs still be having problems with zero shift?  Those things are oldddd
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why would ELCANs still be having problems with zero shift?  Those things are oldddd
View Quote

This is only with older models.  The older model I carried did not have these issues either.  My current personally owned 2023 battery model with upgraded levers returns to and holds zero, on both 1x and 4x.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#29]
My favorite optic on my coyote gun.  The 1x with is crystal clear, bright, with no distortion and I can rapidly get on close, fast moving dogs that appear out of nowhere.  Reticle is easily seen at 1x and is great, unlike FFP LPVO’s.  I can use the illumination at 1x if need be, but normally don’t, it’s just not necessary, again unlike FFP LPVO’s.  When I need to transition to 4x, it’s extremely quick with little body movements to alert the coyotes.  Field of view is outstanding at 4x as well.

Never had an issue with shifting impacts but mine are the upgraded version with the stops.  Only the first generation ones had an issue when people didn’t fully flip the levers that rotate the prism inside the scope.  I imagine those older ones could possibly get bumped on the lever to slightly move it and cause issues.  I never had an issue with the A.R.M.S levers coming loose, but I eventually installed the MKII adjustable levers just because.

The only thing I wish they would change is to increase them from 1-4x to 1-6x.  I know they make a 1.5-6x but the extra .5 magnification is a deal breaker for me.

I’ve owned several LPVO’s from Vortex Strike Eagles to Leupold MK6’s and they just never work as well for me for my needs.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Elcans are some of our best sellers. We don't have any, right now. You won't have any trouble reselling it.

View Quote

I've had my elcan for a little over a decade now and not once I've seen someone else with one at the range. I always wonder where all the elcan shooters are going or are they keeping them at home?

To the OP, the Elcan is the main reason I got into AR15s. Seriously. I recall seeing the optic and I was very impressed by its appearance and loved the look of it on a carbine with the kac rails on it. Looks very slick and nice.

For me though, I rarely switch between 1x to 4x. I keep it at 4x but use a piggy back rmr. I upgraded to the 2032 batteries a couple of years ago but otherwise it's a very solid optic.

I think the only negatives I can think is that the ARMS mount is not very compatible with certain rails. If your rail as a slight variation to it, the optic can move back and forth. I've had to use a aluminium foil shim on a couple of them. I'm thinking of trying out the adjustable arms one but never bothered with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is only with older models.  The older model I carried did not have these issues either.  My current personally owned 2023 battery model with upgraded levers returns to and holds zero, on both 1x and 4x.
View Quote

Are there a lot of older models still floating out there or something, considering this zero loss has been mentioned several times in this thread already?

Quoted:

I've had my elcan for a little over a decade now and not once I've seen someone else with one at the range. I always wonder where all the elcan shooters are going or are they keeping them at home?
View Quote

I think it's fair to say that most gunowners don't really shoot their guns on the regular.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Are there a lot of older models still floating out there or something, considering this zero loss has been mentioned several times in this thread already?

I think it's fair to say that most gunowners don't really shoot their guns on the regular.
View Quote

I don’t think there’s that many early models around at least as far as I’ve seen.  I think I’ve only ever saw one for sale on the used market.

What you want to see on the newer ones are the flats where the lever springs up into so you know the prism is locked in place. You push the lever down and swing it fore or aft and it will self lock once it passes the flat.   I’ve circled them in the pic below.  This one also used the older battery, you can tell by the cap.

Attachment Attached File

This is an older model without the flats, kind of hard to see in this pic, but you can see that it also has a rectangular shaped protrusion vs the rounded one on the newer models.

Attachment Attached File

Last pic here is the latest version that uses a CR2032 flat battery.  Easy to tell these with the coin/screwdriver slot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

I like mine
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I tend to trust 1911 guys.

Thanks everyone for the info - I think I'm going to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not try a ta01 or ta02 if you like acogs
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I tend to trust 1911 guys.

Thanks everyone for the info - I think I'm going to give it a shot.
View Quote

Since you trust 1911 guys… I love Acogs and elcans…. You should give it a try.
Pic for trust

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since you trust 1911 guys… I love Acogs and elcans…. You should give it a try.
Pic for trust

https://i.imgur.com/iFDBLef.jpg
View Quote

I'm working on it! Thanks for the pic - nice setup!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Well boys, I did it.

Placed the order - thank you all for the info provided.

Is the eye relief decent enough to run a KAC micro 600 behind it or will I have to run it without a BUIS like the ACOG
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well boys, I did it.

Placed the order - thank you all for the info provided.

Is the eye relief decent enough to run a KAC micro 600 behind it or will I have to run it without a BUIS like the ACOG
View Quote
If the aperture wasn't so small, put it in front.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If the aperture wasn't so small, put it in front.
View Quote

You will not have room for a BUIS behind the Elcan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one behind mine pictured above.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have one behind mine pictured above.
View Quote

I think gont might be right if I’m looking at your pic (unless he means height wise but seems like a few people said a matech will fit so I’m thinking the kac micro will) but I’ll test it out - here’s the carbine it’s going on and my stock position/LOP

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Per my prior reply, put it (the BUIS) in front.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an Elcan and like it a lot. I've kept over over pretty much every high end LPVO on the market (ATACR being the one I kept). Lots of people worried about BUIS, but really I have no problem using the ones built in to the optic. You can save a tiny amount of weight and not worry about eye relief by just ones the ones built in to the optic. Sure they aren't match grade sights, but I can make hits no problem at 75 yards on a IPSC 66%. If I need more than that I'm probably having a really shitty day and an expensive BUIS system wouldn't be saving it. That said I can definitely fit a ARMS 40 BUIS behind my Elcan and have no problems with eye relief/box, but my Elcan is mounted on top of an ARMS SIR raiser rail has a cutout for the ARMS BUIS.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have an Elcan and like it a lot. I've kept over over pretty much every high end LPVO on the market (ATACR being the one I kept). Lots of people worried about BUIS, but really I have no problem using the ones built in to the optic. You can save a tiny amount of weight and not worry about eye relief by just ones the ones built in to the optic. Sure they aren't match grade sights, but I can make hits no problem at 75 yards on a IPSC 66%. If I need more than that I'm probably having a really shitty day and an expensive BUIS system wouldn't be saving it. That said I can definitely fit a ARMS 40 BUIS behind my Elcan and have no problems with eye relief/box, but my Elcan is mounted on top of an ARMS SIR raiser rail has a cutout for the ARMS BUIS.

https://i.imgur.com/kwpTwJg.jpg
View Quote

Thanks, it's a great point.

I guess it gives me a reason to spend more money and do a URG-I build so I don't waste those expensive KAC sights

Btw I love that ARMS SIR!
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Got the optic!

Most definitely can’t run a BUIS - I’ve got it mounted as far back as possible and luckily the relief is just perfect.

The light settings on the Elcan are INCREDIBLE
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I love my Elcan. It is crystal clear and has enormous FOV at 6x.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love my Elcan. It is crystal clear and has enormous FOV at 6x.

https://www.hkpro.com/media/1035c497-fb6c-439d-ae1d-b715e672cb58-jpeg.274373/full
View Quote

Now that's pretty!

Here's mine and the mounting position that is most comfortable for me.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don’t think there’s that many early models around at least as far as I’ve seen.  I think I’ve only ever saw one for sale on the used market.

What you want to see on the newer ones are the flats where the lever springs up into so you know the prism is locked in place. You push the lever down and swing it fore or aft and it will self lock once it passes the flat.   I’ve circled them in the pic below.  This one also used the older battery, you can tell by the cap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/3217CF56-2610-498A-9CEC-9181709864C4_jpe-2942526.JPG

This is an older model without the flats, kind of hard to see in this pic, but you can see that it also has a rectangular shaped protrusion vs the rounded one on the newer models.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/B8462D54-C177-499F-8EAE-238253247A50_jpe-2942530.JPG

Last pic here is the latest version that uses a CR2032 flat battery.  Easy to tell these with the coin/screwdriver slot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/69D93A2B-1685-419D-A145-B933D3CD8708_jpe-2942537.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/3217CF56-2610-498A-9CEC-9181709864C4_jpe-2942526.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/B8462D54-C177-499F-8EAE-238253247A50_jpe-2942530.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/69D93A2B-1685-419D-A145-B933D3CD8708_jpe-2942537.JPG

That 2nd pic is a Gen 2.  Stops were introduced with the introduction of the Gen 2, so that one would have them, the angle of the photo is just making it hard to see.

Gen 2 with stops:  

Gen 1 (notice the conical battery cap and QD levers on the mag lever side).  These do not have stops:
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Now that's pretty!

Here's mine and the mounting position that is most comfortable for me.

https://i.imgur.com/S4sw1fp.jpg
View Quote

Nice! I love black and tan rifles. Is that Elcan brand new? Is it black or FDE?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top