Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 8:53:06 AM EDT
Ok first off I have been reading your site for quite awhile and love the site, so I decided I should register.  Heres my questions, 1.) I have been a long time builder of AR types and have always used Bushmaster and have liked them but now with so many more brands to choose from how do you know whats good and what isnt. I'm looking at building another shorty and full size for accuracy I like the SOPMODS.  At present I'm using ARMS rails and like them but thre are so many others that are slightly different but seem all the same any pro/cons there?  What about the new 6.8 hows that going to shake out and how does it stack up against the Black Hills 77 grain?  Can you even get Black Hills 77 grain loaded to 5.56 pressues?  I know you can get it for commercial 223.  Another avenue I was looking at is a 308 based AR but then again whos good and whos not.  I dont ever plan on putting a grenade launcher on so I dont need the M4 barrel but thats all I see anymore???  I kknow Bushy still has standard HB's full length, anybody else?  And finally for now that is, What do you think of Mid Length Shorty?   I do like the increased rail area.  I know I have more questions but for now this at least will give me a direction.
Thanks so much for the great site!
Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Do what most AR enthusiasts do.............

Get (at least) one of each!

Seriously, stick with the bigger names - Colt Bushmaster,RRA and you will be fine

The most popular configuration going is the Carbine M4 style

Namely the Bushmaster M4 A3, Colt LE series, and RRA Entry models.

Get the 5.46/.223, as it offers the most versatility, cheaper to feed,  and is an all around great shooter.

I'd make the fringe models - .308's, 6.8, and other calibers my 3rd or 4th AR15 selection after I  had the carbine, 20" rifle angles covered

Welcome to the boards, mstennes........................have fun and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok heres what I have now, 1.) Bushmaster M4A4 with a full heavy barrel, Phanotm flash hider, ACOG and a ARMS military forend (kinda big and bulky) 2.)  Std. 20" Bushmaster that is a stock as a rock flattop.  My plans are to modify it into a 18" SOPMOD?? here www.angusarms.com and build at least 2 other M4s setup differently. I'm also looking at no front sites etc. I have a extra Bushmaster lower that I was thinking of turning into a 6.8 and buying all new kits, etc for the other 2 - 5.56's I want to build.  The reason I'm looking at a 308 based AR is just something different to play with that I canstill utilize my Scopes, Sites and other M4 based toys that are not calibur specific.  I bought my first AR (Colt) back 20 years ago?) Anyway after going through about 3 or 4 I got into building them then about 7 years ago I built my last one slowly modified it over the last coupla years and now the bug has bit hard again and I want to build up some custom ones for the enjoyment of them.  When I bought my last stuff all there was, was Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS which at that time kinda left alot to be said for, Armalite and Eagle Arms? Now you have a whole selection that is second to none.  The reason I was asking on Blackhill is I have some 223 pressure but I was wondering if they load to 556 pressure for civillians? Whew I live out here in Washington State we have further distances and everything from Bear - Cougars so as you see not only do I do alot of Coyoteing but also want it to have enough protection from the bigger animals.  Kinda freaky when you look out the window your kids are outside and theres a Cougar, happend twice first one went down after 4 rounds of 223 55 grain, second one went down with the trusty 00 buck from a Benelli.  So hopefully you see where I'm at now and where I'm trying to get.  Thanks for the replys and you guys are great!  One last thing do you have any reccommend places to buy from?  One last thing I have a good friend down on the border with the Border Patrol in AZ and he knows I have been a AR fan forever and was wanting me to pick him up a rail system, scope, and front forgrip, his duty gun is a M4A2 with the carry handle.  Seems even though they are supposed to have that stuff issued theres no money so they have to buy it if they want to get it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
O I also forgot to ask about the mid length setups pros and cons.
Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top