Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:44:16 AM EDT
TO- how much you guys charge for FFL transfer?
S- what kinda gun
TO- umm a rifle
S- what kida rifle
TO- (scratches head, doesnt really matter) its an AR
S- $50
TO- what
S- yeah we sell AR's so your taking business away from us

TO- ok, well what kinda price can you get me for a 4pos complete AR lower
S- $375   (plus tax, so like $400)

is this normal?

btw, im going down to the other shop for $25 transfers and their FFL is already on file with the seller  worth the longer drive over there
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, its very normal, and there is no doubt that online business has hurt brick and mortar gun stores.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]

is this normal?

Not with the fine dealers we have on this site.

That, and the one good dealer I have in the area.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah i understand that, but this guy keeps nothing in stock, about 5 AR15's, an SKS and a few shotguns.

i was expecting him to do $35 transfers, especially b/c i bought a complete rifle for like $900 + tax from him not too long ago

sorry for the rant but this just frustrates me to no end. how does he expect to stay in busniess
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
yep, it happens. we had one like that, and i went thru the same thing...they bet on the general public not knowing the difference...he's out of business now.but my other option was a long time sprting goods in town, they recieved my lower, and charged the normal 10%....they've been in business since the 50's,in a large part due to being customer friendly....never go in that guys shop again! find you a good one, and give them all your business...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Which is why I deal with certain people, and certain places only.  I don't enjoy getting jerked around, and I don't deal well with people trying to pass off misinformation.  However, I can understand the lack of wanting to do FFL transfers, as he is losing money in his mind.

Try pawn shops, as many of them have FFLs, and they are usually more than happy to simply take your money without much in the way of questions or comments.  Of course that would mean you have to over look the clientele, and all the stolen property........
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Try pawn shops, as many of them have FFLs, and they are usually more than happy to simply take your money without much in the way of questions or comments.  Of course that would mean you have to over look the clientele, and all the stolen property........

hmm, maybe they can throw in a gold plated handgun in the deal
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
$50 for a transfer?? Geez...that's probably why he's losing business. I'm glad one of my two local gun shop owners is good. I think he charged me about $10 for my lower reciever FFL fee.  I've never bought a complete $900 rifle from him though.  I think if you're having to deal with this guy, the best way to go is buying a lower reciever, use his FFL, and then have the rest of the parts sent to you. It'd probably be cheaper and the FFL fee would probably be much less than $50. Also you get the satisfaction of building and shooting your own home-made rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The brick and mortar shops need to start employing better buisness ethics if they want to stay in buisness. There is a pawn shop here in town that I took a gun in to see about a trade. he wanted to give me $100 for a s&w 586 in great condition. He tried to show me the book value to prove his point and I pointed out to him that he was using the book of gun values from 1997. It's crap like that that is going to put hem out of buisness. Instead of trying to rip us off they need to give us decent service at a decent price and quit trying to blow air up our butts and lie so we'll buy what they want us to buy. I have vowed to never step into 90% of gun shops and pawn shops in my town. There are only a couple I will patronize here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah, i dont really care if they screw people just off the street who don't have a clue and maybe buy one thing  every couple yrs or see how much they can charge to those who don't know much.... but he knows i know what's up, and i pretty much told him flat out i was looking for a shop to be my go to shop with FFL transfers and bulk ammo sales (i normally get ammo on the internet)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Happens every day, and you would be a sucker if you ever dealt with him again. I have a dealer who transfers for $10 15 miles from me. Check the boards, try a pawn shop. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, move on.  The local dealer I use is way high on his stuff too, he knows it, he's preying
on the uneducated.  He is happy to see me come in for a transfer.  I have a CHL so he doesn't
even have to make a phone call.   Makes $20 for 45 seconds of work.  He's very happy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]
One good gunshop owner/employee is worth his/her weight in gold.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
just setup the transfer to be at the other shop

$25 and no hassels
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, sadly, that's not at all unusual.  Shop around.  I managed to find a pawnshop that'll do transfers for fifteen bucks.  Like previous posters have said, he digs my business cause he has to autograph 2 forms (no NICS call, I have a carry license) and he makes fifteen bucks.  Just be sure to tell the gunshop owner that you and all your buddies will be using an alternate vendor for your FFL needs.  There's no way to get attention like hittin' 'em in the pocketbook.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Havent looked into it it in years but how hard is it these days to get an FFL if you incorperate yourself? (also makes it easier to get class3 weapons =D)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a noob but look on gunbroker.com at any gun for sale and when you look up your city they have a list of people that do transfers and usually list the price of each place ......$50.00 ouch
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't get the "$50 mindset" on transfers. Doesn't he realize that if he transfers it for $15 or $20, you'll be more likely to come back for more transfers? I usually buy $15 or so of ammo from my local FFL as a simple way to thank him for doing the transfer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't get the "$50 mindset" on transfers. Doesn't he realize that if he transfers it for $15 or $20, you'll be more likely to come back for more transfers? I usually buy $15 or so of ammo from my local FFL as a simple way to thank him for doing the transfer.

i think they think they can trick people into buying stuff thru them rather than waste $50 on a transfer.

i had bought a phantom from one of the great vendors here (bravo company think it was like $20-$25) and took it with me to get put on at said shop b/c i dont have a barrel vise and the stocker was on TIGHT. anyhow, he told me my phantom had to be fake @ $20 and that YHM is sneeking them out the back door, not being sold thru bushmaster b/c they are inferior to the so called real deal @ $40

i dunno this guy is full of BS tall tales
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The shop I usually go to charges 40.  They have excellent prices on rifles, but very high prices on accessories.  Good guys though,  40 isn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Local place here keeps tons of neat stuff in stock and does transfers for $30. Works for me!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
10$ to the pawn shop and Im on my way. I am 80% sure the clerk was playing starcraft behind the desk last time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Which is why I deal with certain people, and certain places only. I don't enjoy getting jerked around, and I don't deal well with people trying to pass off misinformation. However, I can understand the lack of wanting to do FFL transfers, as he is losing money in his mind.

Try pawn shops, as many of them have FFLs, and they are usually more than happy to simply take your money without much in the way of questions or comments. Of course that would mean you have to over look the clientele, and all the stolen property........

To Stickman, have to disagree with your comments regarding clientele and stolen property in pawnshops, not trying to stir the pot but, I have owned a pawn shop for 7 and 1/2 years and honestly the customers are like any others in town that frequent other businesses and I have quite a few Lawyers,Business owners and other professional types that frequent our shop, as far as stolen property the national average of stolen property found in a pawnshop is less than 1/2 of 1%.

In fact in 7 1/2 years I have only had 3 problems with stolen merchandise, all were returned to the owners and charges were pressed, we have an excellent relationship with our local P.D. and all customers have to provide a photo I.D. which we photocopy as well as other safeguards.

In fact a majority of stolen items are sold at your local bars or between individuals as most thieves while being naturally stupid are not stupid enough to go into a pawnshop give a photo i.d. and sign the form saying it is their property, knowing it will be ran through the local and regional P.D.'s.

I do realize there are some pawnshops that bring a bad name to the 99.9% of the rest of the shops which follow the law and strive to keep stolen property out of our shops, but in all apects of life we all have to deal with the few that travel outside of our boundries and laws.

Again not trying to stir the pot but, I cannot let anyone slander my profession even in jest. In addition to running a pawnshop I still work as a flight nurse which I have done for the last 12 years, so I 'am not some uneducated hillbilly either.

As far as the topic being discussed , we charge a flat ten dollars for all transfers, if a customer transfers 1,2or 3 firearms at once we still only charge $10.00, so I agree check with your local pawnshops.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I made a thread about gun store prices. Look if ur gonna buy something like that from them do ur self a favor don't. Buy your lower and thats it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top