Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2011 5:48:07 PM EDT
Hi everybody,

If I was to build the lightest milspec AR15 possible (reliable and durable) under the below requirements, what would that be?

16" Barrel with flash hider
Semi Auto Receiver .223/5.56
Quadrail Forearm
Light System
Red Dot Optic
BUIS sight system (cowitnessing with red dot)
Polymer magazine
Sling
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want it light, them I'd have no rail, no light and find a skinny 14.5 inch barrel. Have a flash hider pinned and welded in place to make the length legal. Run irons or a tiny optic.

Keep it simple and the gun will weigh  6-7 LBS. The more stuff you add, adds weight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you want it light, them I'd have no rail, no light and find a skinny 14.5 inch barrel. Have a flash hider pinned and welded in place to make the length legal. Run irons or a tiny optic.

Keep it simple and the gun will weigh  6-7 LBS. The more stuff you add, adds weight.

This.

The DD 1.5 rear sight is pretty light.  You may be even able to find an old Colt BCG with the back rear removed to go even lighter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi everybody,

If I was to build the lightest milspec AR15 possible (reliable and durable) under the below requirements, what would that be?

16" Barrel with flash hider
Semi Auto Receiver .223/5.56
Quadrail Forearm
Light System
Red Dot Optic
BUIS sight system (cowitnessing with red dot)
Polymer magazine
Sling

7 pounds if you use a cut down pencil barrel, otherwise 7.5-8 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi everybody,

16" Barrel with flash hider lightweight profile, cut pin and weld 14.5" for even lighter
Semi Auto Receiver .223/5.56 They're all really the same, just stay away from billet
Quadrail Forearm DD are light. KAC URX is light. Look at something like the Troy tube for even lighter
Light System SF x300 or m300a Scout, or a TLR-1
Red Dot Optic Aimpoint T-1 micro in a DD mount
BUIS sight system (cowitnessing with red dot) KAC Micro sights, pricey but light, DD 1.5 if you have a fixed FSP
Polymer magazine Don't know what's "lightest", just find reliable, they all weight about the same
Sling Don't worry about weight, find one that's comfortable and it'll make it feel lighter slung.

You're basically looking at any number of standard ARs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
google project featherweight
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like this:

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/sdcromer/AR15/IMG_1303.jpg

I like.

Someday I'll do a 723 quasi-clone that'll end up looking a lot like this...
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO, if I was building to be the lightest setup I would use:

Cav Arms lower cut down to entry length with standard carbine buffer.
Upper receiver with no forward assist (I'd probably just run a regular upper with FA).
Pencil barrel cut down to 14.5" and pinned with a Spikes DynaComp or a XA2 flash hider.
Low profile gas block.
Troy Industries 13" TRX Extreme Battle Rail.
Viking tactics flashlight mount and a G2 LED light.
Magpul Gen2 MBUS sights.
Trijacon Reflex sight or light Aimpont set up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
14.5 Pencil barrel with pinned FS to 16"

No rail or light. Those go against the concept. 9mm flat top with a hole drilled for the gas tube will save some ounces by removing the forward assist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The Midwest Industries FF tube is 11.3oz. The Troys are heavier. rail chart
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
5.6 lbs. empty.  It uses a DD 16" lightweight barrel:

Start adding optics, rail and light, it fattens up fast.  Too keep it light though, an Aimpoint T1 is 3oz, LT T-1 mount is ~ 2 oz., SF X300 is 3.8 ounces, and a DD EZ-CAR is 9.1 oz. Subtract 6.85 oz. for the MOE handguard, and all that will add 11 oz. to the gun for a total weight of about 6.3 lbs.  Those parts will run around $1,100 - making something light usually isn't cheap.  You could shave a couple ounces off the gun by keeping the MOE handguard with an accessory rail to mount the X300, and save about $150 in the process.  Weight would be around 6.1 lbs.  Cost for the rifle and accessories would be in the neighborhood of $1,900.

Difference between a 14.5" and 16" LW barrel is negligible - just a couple ounces.  Not worth it IMO.  Better to have the ability to remove the FH further down the road IMO.

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/sdcromer/AR15/IMG_1303.jpg

Looks just like a Colt 6520 (with a 14.5" bbl) - 5.7 lbs empty.  My favorite AR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Why not just go buy a Shootrite Gaytana? A buddy of mine was just telling me yesterday about how badass they are
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not just go buy a Shootrite Gaytana? A buddy of mine was just telling me yesterday about how badass they are

And so it begins.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I just finished this....5.6lbs empty....

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]

I saw that in the other LW thread - very nice build.  Excellent example of a KISS rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is one I threw together using a 16" CMMG 5.56 pencil barrel.
Weighs  6lbs. without the optic.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I saw that in the other LW thread - very nice build.  Excellent example of a KISS rifle.

I agree. Great KISS
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a a USAF GUU-5/P clone that is pretty light, and was even lighter when it still had its lightweight barrel.

...but I've been planning an ultralight build for some time though, and here are some of the features that I'm thinking would keep the weight down:

- 9mm upper drilled for gas tube (flat top, no forward assist/brass defelctor)
- NDS black A1 lower (lighter due to less material around the A2 reinforcement areas)
- Semi auto carrier (less material than an auto carrier)
- Light rear BUIS (lots of options here)
- 14.5" lightweight barrel with pinned flash hider (not sure which model yet based on weight, perhaps extended A1)
- 6 position receiver extension (more holes = more material removed) with fiberlite type stock
- Standard carbine handguards and A1 pistol grip

I would probably go with a fixed FSB for durability purposes, although there are lighter weight gas block options.

I think in the end this would make for a very light carbine that still retains features that I prefer such as aluminum alloy receivers , traditional type stocks, and a fixed FSB.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think the guy is looking for the ultimate lightweight carbine, just trying to keep the weight down on a standard carbine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Lightweight barrel no rails get a light mount thats bayo lug mounted and then with your flat top you can have an Aimpoint a BUIS and the light I use Lancer L5 Magazines.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got a a USAF GUU-5/P clone that is pretty light, and was even lighter when it still had its lightweight barrel.

...but I've been planning an ultralight build for some time though, and here are some of the features that I'm thinking would keep the weight down:

- 9mm upper drilled for gas tube (flat top, no forward assist/brass defelctor)
- NDS black A1 lower (lighter due to less material around the A2 reinforcement areas)
- Semi auto carrier (less material than an auto carrier)
- Light rear BUIS (lots of options here)
- 14.5" lightweight barrel with pinned flash hider (not sure which model yet based on weight, perhaps extended A1)
- 6 position receiver extension (more holes = more material removed) with fiberlite type stock
- Standard carbine handguards and A1 pistol grip

I would probably go with a fixed FSB for durability purposes, although there are lighter weight gas block options.

I think in the end this would make for a very light carbine that still retains features that I prefer such as aluminum alloy receivers , traditional type stocks, and a fixed FSB.

Here's a bad paint rendition of what I'm talking about.  It's a modified image of a factory Colt

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't think the guy is looking for the ultimate lightweight carbine, just trying to keep the weight down on a standard carbine.

Then why is the title "lightest AR 15 ever"?
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Plum crazy lower?
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#27]
RustedAce has "The Bestest AR15 Ever" that weighed 6lbs 14oz with an EoTech mounted. Maybe he'll pop in.

-REad
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering the samething about the title

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#29]
there's a thread about lightweights. guy in there has a 4lb 12.5" gun, pre-red dot sight
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#30]
There was a member here a few years back that did some serious shaving of weight off of his AR.  I forget what he got it down to but it resembled Swiss cheese with some of the spots he removed aluminum.  Worked good from what I remember.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor choice of title?
Read what the guy wants to put on his rifle, it seems like he wants the lightest version of that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
there's a thread about lightweights. guy in there has a 4lb 12.5" gun, pre-red dot sight

That rifle used a plum crazy lower
Clark customs carbon fiber tube
Cmmg 11.5" light profile barrel

It is light, I shot it

Found the video i saw of it.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=QUVhd62mPAI[/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=QUVhd62mPAI

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I just picked up one of those New Skinny Moe Noveske's a couple weeks ago,

Their web site states 6 1/4lbs.  The thing is crazy lite.  I swapped the Moe stock for an Imod and the Moe Pistol Grip for an MIAD  added an H1 and Mini Scout. I bet its still under seven pounds.  Not the lightest for sure but its a contender.  It handles great, the only detraction is(can be said of all rifles like this) is the skinny barrel gets hot QUICK
This is the only pic I have of it currently

Sir James...
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just picked up one of those New Skinny Moe Noveske's a couple weeks ago,
http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/sc-moe_1.jpg

Their web site states 6 1/4lbs.  The thing is crazy lite.  I swapped the Moe stock for an Imod and the Moe Pistol Grip for an MIAD  added an H1 and Mini Scout. I bet its still under seven pounds.  Not the lightest for sure but its a contender.  It handles great, the only detraction is(can be said of all rifles like this) is the skinny barrel gets hot QUICK
This is the only pic I have of it currently
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/SirJames_album/cb071096.jpg

Sir James...

But it cools down FAST
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That rifle used a plum crazy lower

Clark customs carbon fiber tube

Cmmg 11.5" light profile barrel

It is light, I shot it

Found the video i saw of it.

No thats not the one. This particular member has his on a cav-arms lower, and the stock was cut down an inch or two. It has a micro red dot and a carbon fiber rail. It was crazy light, IIRC.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#36]
This weigh a few ounces over 6.5lbs unloaded.

LW profile barrels, no fsb, and modular tube style handguards all help keep weight down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#37]
here's the lightweight thread, look for JoshAston's post. halfway down the page.

lightweight thread
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#38]
A few months late but here is the lightest I could make mine. The bottom carbine is a DD as well both 16 inch but made this after a bunch of carbine classes in the heat basically making whatever your carrying 5 time heavier at the course of the day. But I ended up with 7.00 LBS on the dot with a empty USGI mag. I even put the mags on the scale and here are some results. Tango Down = 5.2 oz , Magpul pmags = 5 oz , USGI 4.5 oz. can't wait to run around with this.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/siambxr/IMAG0721-1.jpg

specs
Started out with a Daniel Defense basic carbine
are guard changed to AR15 lite 7.0
gunfighter charger
BAD lever
Daniel Defense T1 mount / aimpoint T1
Trijicon backup night sights

I have yet to put it on the scale with the VLTOR clubfoot no rubber pads and Tango battle grip

option II weight is 7.03 oz but the Viltor stock and tango grips gives me the option of storage both were placed on the digital scale with an empty USGI mag
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/siambxr/IMAG0736.jpg
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#39]

6 pounds
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#40]
SR15 with Aimpoint Micro.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#41]
look up colt 653 its only 5.6lbs empty. and not hard to find the parts to put one together yourself.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Plum crazy lower?

That's what I used for my lightweight AR

Plum crazy lower

Del Ton 16" pencil barrel

A1 upper

Carbon Fiber handguards

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Ghetto.  I think your scale is off.  Sctexas has one in an even lighter configuration and it weighed 4lb 13oz with an 11.5" pencil barrel from cmmg.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ghetto.  I think your scale is off.  Sctexas has one in an even lighter configuration and it weighed 4lb 13oz with an 11.5" pencil barrel from cmmg.

Given that his scale is reading just under 6 pounds, I think it is pretty well on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Great KISS

+2 great example of a true lightweight!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top