Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 11:27:20 AM EDT
Hello,
I have my AR-15 (M4gery) all put together now and I'm looking into an optic for it. An EOTech seemed appropriate, but I was looking at the new Leopold scopes and thinking it would be nice to have some magnification for shots beyond 50 yards. They have two new scopes that are 1.5x - 5x which seems perfect for an M4 type medium-range weapon:

Leopold Mark 4 PR (Precision Rifle) 1.5x - 5x (~$600)
http://www.leupold.com/products/tac...w_products1.htm

Leopold Mark 4 MR/T (Medium Range Tactical) 1.5x - 5x (~$800)
http://www.leupold.com/products/tac...w_products2.htm

The MR/T is a bit more expensive and designed more for the military. I think the PR is for those that want to spend a bit less; police and civilians.

The MR/T has an illuminated reticle and bullet drop compensator, and its press release also notes that its eye relief is designed for the AR-15, so I think the scope definitely has the AR-15 in mind.

Does anyone have any experience with these optics? How does it do on CQB distances (i.e., 10 - 50 yards) and how does it do on longer distances (100-300 yards).

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I'm confused.

How does stripping features off a MR/T turn it a "precision" scope.

I see nothing added to it, just features stripped.

I've used the MR/T on a FAL since it came out and it's somewhat okay for CQB, but not in the same league (not even close) to a red dot. I've only shot it out to 300 yards and liked the way the target was right on one of the reticles lines. Easy once you figure out how much your bullets drop.

If they made this down to a true 1x and added a bright red dot in the center it would rule. As it is it will soon be eclipsed (by less expensive scopes that will have those features) and forgotten.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I received an MR/T on Friday. Couldn't be happier with it. I find it just as fast as my Aimpoint or Eotech close in, and I like it better than the MR/T 3x9 I have for up to 200yds (haven't been at a longer range yet). The reticle seems bright enough for me even in broad daylight on a dark background, but I haven't tested it against something like sand or bright concrete. In bright light I wouldn't use the illumination anyway. I've used ACOGs and I like this better, but I've never used the higher end variables like the S&B so I can't compare it to them.  I believe optical happiness depends a lot on your own vision, dominant eye, etc, but this is the best AR optic I've ever used.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd also add that the 1.5 magnification is not necessarily a bad thing. That is the logic behind the compact ACOG magnification, that the sudden change to looking though the scope focuses the vision on the target through the scope rather than through the left eye. I'm right handed and left eye dominant, so the 1.5 magnification actually makes the scope easier and faster  for me to use than an Aimpoint even at CQB ranges.  The point is that speaking as a physician, eyes and how the brain interprets the image the eye sends varies a lot from person to person. Which is why I think there are so many different opinions about which are the best optics to use.  You just need to try as many as you can, and practice with them, before you decide what works best for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]

If they made this down to a true 1x and added a bright red dot in the center it would rule.

No, what it would be is pretty much a Schmidt and Bender short dot.

Yes, the same setup for less than $2000!
In a U.S. made scope!

As far as 1.5x goes, it limits field of view ---drastically!
That's bad in CQB and beyond.
I've been using this scope for months and have cleaned up against slowpokes with red dots, but I can't touch capable red dots users or my old speeds with it. I lose a second here and there with it so if I have a lot of targets it can be significant time. I do catch up on medium range precision targets sometimes, depending on how good the other shooters are. If it had 1x with a greater field of view my CQB speeds would increase, and if it also had the red dot at 1x my speeds would be Ferrari class. Right now I have 65feet FOV at 1.5x while a Leupy or S&B 1x has 116feet. That's 51feet I'm missing!

As far as 1.5x being better for some uses and some people, that is still possible with a turn of the dial on a 1-3(4,5,6x).

The bottomline is, if I save up to pay $2000 for a S&B I won't have anything left for Leupys for a long time. I'd rather keep my money in the U.S. as well. Right now the closest U.S. scope is a Weaver 1-3x for $150. The reticle is a non-lighted duplex with an 87ft FOV. A compromise yes, but but it beats the Leupy MR/T by 22ft and saves $650.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]

I like my 1.5-5 MR/T.

It does limit your field of view, but I am working on using the scope with both eyes open at close range.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
my recon with a MR/T.....like mine alot.....wish it would go to 1.1 and had a little bit brighter rectical.........but all things considerd it a great little scope for the $$$$...............

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My MR/T 1.5-5x M2 just showed up in the mail today... wow!  I really think that I will like this one
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was looking at optics for an M4gery a few weeks back in my price range it was a toss up between the Leupy MT T and the  IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26 CRT Tactical Scope with illum. CQB reticle.  I ended up going with the IOR because of the 1.1 and I found a fairly smoking deal on it.  It should show up next week while I'm out of town for the holiday.  The rifle it's going on won't be here until after the first so there's no hurry but I'll report back with my impressions when I get it mounted (the LaRue I've had for a week or so is getting lonely!) and shoot with it some.

ETA:  I guess my check went through finally; I'm a team member.  Hello search!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top