Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2013 6:24:53 PM EDT
Years of reading this forum have led me to have an inferiority complex over owning a 16" carbine.  I have been told over and over that 14.5" is optimal for carbine gas systems, while the mid-length system is optimal for 16" barrels.  Moreover, 16" carbines only exist because of our NFA laws, not because they have any superior characteristics.

Two days ago I was reading the Diemaco C7 and C8 article on Wikipedia, and stumbled across the C8 SFW

The C8 SFW has a 16" barrel, carbine length gas system, and is used by special forces units in Canada and Norway, and also used (as the L119A1) by the SAS.  

So if a 16" carbine is teh suck, why do these elite units use them?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they are easier to get ahold of. And that looks like a 14.5 in the pic
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would 16" (15.7" actually) be easier to get a hold of then the already standard 14.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Years of reading this forum have led me to have an inferiority complex over owning a 16" carbine.  I have been told over and over that 14.5" is optimal for carbine gas systems, while the mid-length system is optimal for 16" barrels.  Moreover, 16" carbines only exist because of our NFA laws, not because they have any superior characteristics.

Two days ago I was reading the Diemaco C7 and C8 article on Wikipedia, and stumbled across the C8 SFW

The C8 SFW has a 16" barrel, carbine length gas system, and is used by special forces units in Canada and Norway, and also used (as the L119A1) by the SAS.  

View Quote

Canadians and SAS..... enough said...

Honest to god truth though. A ex DEVGRU guy told me a story about SAS in Afghanistan. They showed up with one pair of NODs and one sleeping bag per two guys.... He said they were the biggest joke ever. However apparently their SBS team is up to snuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure they still utilize the simon sleeve on the barrel, seems like dead weight.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Shot in the dark, but, I think they use a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system for the extra cycling pressure in the cold climate. I could be wrong though. . .
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot in the dark, but, I think they use a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system for the extra cycling pressure in the cold climate. I could be wrong though. . .
View Quote

I was thinking that was a possibility as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember that Radway Green 5.56mm is loaded for the standard British Army SA-80 rifle and is considered under-powered in United States military weapons.  

Radway Green bought by the US was marked "For Training Use Only" due to it fouling and stopping M4s and M16s.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Honest to god truth though. A ex DEVGRU guy told me a story about SAS in Afghanistan. They showed up with one pair of NODs and one sleeping bag per two guys.... He said they were the biggest joke ever. However apparently their SBS team is up to snuff.
View Quote

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/special-forces-operation-hailed-sas-2101028

Not too bad for a bunch of jokes. Tell me, what do sleeping bags have to do with a unit's fighting ability?
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
British SAS a joke? do some history on them they taught US Army Rangers under Darby in WW2.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SEALs took their flippers to Afghanistan.

SAS doesn't have the funding that the US has, for what it is worth, and they are not all comparable to CAG--they cover missions from those comparable to SF to CAG missions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Other than discussing the relative bad-assyness of the users, does anyone have any data on why a 16" carbine was chosen?
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Parts compatibility for countries without bottomless pockets.  Works better than rifle gas 16" (especially if RG is underpowered)
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Other than discussing the relative bad-assyness of the users, does anyone have any data on why a 16" carbine was chosen?
View Quote

Uneducated decision?

The fact that they still have dead weight by having a simon sleeve pressed on for the sole purpose of mounting a bayonet makes me think that the requirements that they set forth might not have been the best.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If wanting to use a 16" barrel with a carbine gas port; I would build my weapon off the Naval Surface Warfare Center's - Crane Division SEAL Recon Rifle or known as a Recce Rifle.

http://highcalibersales.com/reconnaissance-recce-upper.html
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

50% security, you only need 1 sleeping bag per 2 guys.  1 dude is asleep, 1 dude is pulling guard.  That shit saves weight.

I dunno about the 1 set of nods, if they're only moving during the day, possibly same strategy (I don't agree with it).
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If wanting to use a 16" barrel with a carbine gas port; I would build my weapon off the Naval Surface Warfare Center's - Crane Division SEAL Recon Rifle or known as a Recce Rifle.

View Quote

Wow, sure glad you were able to bring the recce rifle to our attention. If you hadn't joined this year we might never know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow, sure glad you were able to bring the recce rifle to our attention. If you hadn't joined this year we might never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next thing we will be told is that there are pictures of it....
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mean bastards
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see you fell off the short bus lacking basic English Comprehension; living with small-man syndrome must be a challenge.

Years of reading this forum have led me to have an inferiority complex over owning a 16" carbine. I have been told over and over that 14.5" is optimal for carbine gas systems, while the mid-length system is optimal for 16" barrels. Moreover, 16" carbines only exist because of our NFA laws, not because they have any superior characteristics.

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#22]
What are you getting at?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I see you fell off the short bus lacking basic English Comprehension; living with small-man syndrome must be a challenge.

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']Years of reading this forum have led me to have an inferiority complex over owning a 16" carbine. I have been told over and over that 14.5" is optimal for carbine gas systems, while the mid-length system is optimal for 16" barrels. Moreover, 16" carbines only exist because of our NFA laws, not because they have any superior characteristics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']Years of reading this forum have led me to have an inferiority complex over owning a 16" carbine. I have been told over and over that 14.5" is optimal for carbine gas systems, while the mid-length system is optimal for 16" barrels. Moreover, 16" carbines only exist because of our NFA laws, not because they have any superior characteristics.

It's just the internet and they are just giving you a hard time  

Gotta have a little bit thicker skin or you're gonna have a rough time here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was implying that the Recce rifle is old news in reference to your post that seemingly implied that the Recce is a new concept.  He's not known for having tact.  Welcome to arfcom
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess "teh suck" is some sort of gibberish that means 16" carbines are bad.

I'll simplify things. They aren't.

If you cowboy the f**k up you won't have an inferiority complex.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Lay off vaginitis is a serious deal
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#27]

God I wanna get one of those mil spec stock bodys for my SFW/C8 build
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Back in the dark ages, before anyone had seen much combat with carbines, and those that had had usually done so in fairly limited circumstances, everyone just knew that 14.5" barrels were only effective to 200m and just barely at that, and everyone also knew barrel length was the key factor in both range and accuracy, "midlengths" were just an oddity that Eagle Arms/Armalite was making for hobby guns.  

16" barrels and carbine gas were common, with the Colt SP1 Carbine starting production in 1980.  

With the perceived need for more range than was commonly believed to be possible from a 14.5" barrel - a 16" barreled carbine variant was requested.  Diemaco, now Colt Canada, still builds 16" carbine gas format rifles, even in their newest IUR variants.  For better or worse, their position is "it works fine," and they do.  

In the meantime, turns out 14.5" barrels, and even 10.3" barrels are doing a pretty respectable job out to 500-600m, and by most accounts, the role once filled by the "recce" is now being filled by a 14.5" barreled platform.  The SFW/C8FTHB is an artifact, IMHO, of an outdated paradigm in carbine utility.  

But.  Once again.  16" carbines work, and have worked for a long time.  If that's what you have, and that's what you like, I wouldn't worry about the internet chatter.

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#30]
What the military chooses and what works best are not always the same thing. Many people see what the military uses and say that's cool I want it. The military has specific tactics that require certain weapons, civilians do not. Although civilians do have tactical needs, they are MUCH different than police and the military.

Any AR that works and is somewhat accurate is a good rifle no matter what brand or what length barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top