Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 8:46:37 AM EDT
I looked back a ways, but didn't see this question addressed:

Is anyone worried about losing value in their pre-bans if/when the AWB sunsets? Or will everyone just be overjoyed that you will once again be able to pick up an AR with all the "evil, deadly, child killing" features you want for a reasonable price?

Is anyone holding off on purchases in anticipation of the sunset in 09/04?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever value my prebans have thanks to the AWB is a small price to pay to have our rights back.  I don't buy guns as investments so I don't look at it as losing anything.
However, I still don't think the ban is going anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
My pre-ban doesn't have any "evil, child killing" features. [;)]

I'm not worried about lossing value on a gun that I shoot.  Besides investment firearms are the kinds that are a one of a kind that aren't dependent on law.

Yes, I am holding off on my next AR/ long gun purchase till the ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be happy to see my pre-bans lose their value in exchange for the sunset of the AWB.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't hold off on getting a post-ban Bushy recently.  Thought about it for awhile, but I really wanted it.  I do want a collapsable style stock but if AWB sunsets, I can always add it.  I feel better knowing it is in my safe; I can always add something (stock/flash suppressor) later if things go our way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
What everybody else said.

It'ld be worth the paper loss (had all 3 before they were prebans)just to see magazines come back to a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a preban Colt a few weeks back and didn't think twice about it. I'm not investeing in the rifle. I will buy another WHEN the ban sunsets but until then, I'm quite content with what I have.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whatever value my prebans have thanks to the AWB is a small price to pay to have our rights back.  I don't buy guns as investments so I don't look at it as losing anything.
View Quote

I ABSOLUTELY agree with Spectre.  I think the right gain is well worth the value lost.  besides, like the rest of the guys, my guns are for shooting, and I do shoot all of them.  investment is never a concern to me.

one more thing, I would buy something if the price is right, just in case the ban got kicked up a notch in 04.  I agree with Spectre again.  I don't think the ban is going away. altohough I am saving money as w speak just in case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I liquidated much of my collection last year for various personal reason having nothing to do with the possible sunsetting of the AWB and have only five prebans remaining.  From a personal standpoint of losing money on the remaining prebans, I couldn't care less and hope I do !!

I do believe we're seeing the beginning of the dumping of some higher end prebans.  I've seen more Colts' government model carbines for sale - still at high prices - than I've seen before.

What will be interesting to observe is what happens in the market early next year.  [b]The Tulsa Gun Show will be in April 2004 - now the largest gunshow in the world - and I expect that to be the last 'hurrah' for most prebans and I expect prices to tumble as we move into summer 2004.[/b]  Assuming the political climate remains much as it is today - GWB must still look like a winner !!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
If the AWB sunsets this year doesn't mean it will never pass again. Just think all our post-ban guns may become "pre-bans" someday .... or maybe we will be required to turn them in "for the children"
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It [b]IS[/b] going away. Period. You will refrain from such pessemistic talk from heretofore. [slap]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there a possibility that weapons manufactured during the ban will have to retain "post ban" features? Does anyone think the ATFE might make one of their rulings to reflect that?

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not worried at all.  I will never sell mine so the price means nothing to me.  I'll be happy the ban goes.  The only way I would sell is if I were starving but then I could always hunt my food I guess..[:)]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a possibility that weapons manufactured during the ban will have to retain "post ban" features? Does anyone think the ATFE might make one of their rulings to reflect that?

View Quote

No.  The way the law is written is prevents any semi auto loading rifles that take a detachabble magazine manufactured after September 13, 1994 from having more than 1 of the list of evil features.  When that goes away so does the date.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I looked back a ways, but didn't see this question addressed:

Is anyone worried about losing value in their pre-bans if/when the AWB sunsets? Or will everyone just be overjoyed that you will once again be able to pick up an AR with all the "evil, deadly, child killing" features you want for a reasonable price?

Is anyone holding off on purchases in anticipation of the sunset in 09/04?
View Quote

Some states, like NY, have their own ban that matches the federal ban without a sunset. If the ban sunsets, the pre-94 weapons will be OK here, but the formerly-known-as-post-ban weapons that get "evilized" will not be legal here. I'm sure the state police will love trying to figure out whose got what. It seems like NY will either need to follow suit or ban them all if they expect to enforce anything. I bet 90% of the owners in NY don't even realize that the NY law is separate from the federal law. Unfortunately I see the latter more likely than the former.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If the AWB sunsets, then I'll look at getting a preban upper.  Until then I'll stick with what I have
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
New issue of SGN arrived today and I read Neal Knox's column on the AWB.  He mentioned that DiFei will probably try to attach a continuation amendment on to a Justice appropriations bill or some other must-pass bill that they will receive and that the Senate will likely approve it and send it back to the House.

He then said it would be very difficult, but not impossible, for the House to remove it from the bill.  I guess the political maneuvering would change it from a passive sun-set to an actual vote against the AWB and the democrats are thinking that the republicans might not have the courage to make that vote.  In some cases they are probably right.  

I used to be very confident that the ban would sun-set.  I am still somewhat confident.

I am contemplating calling my congressman and telling him to pass along the info that I will not only NOT cast my vote for Bush in 2004 if he signs another AWB, but will actually vote FOR his opponent- regardless of who it is.  

Lots of republicans are taking our votes for granted.  It is high time they stop.

I have some high-end preban Colts and I would hate to see them lose their value.  On the other hand, that seems to be a small price to pay.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Be careful about the "I won't vote for...." comments or we'll have the "Lesser of two evils, how could you do that, look at the bigger picture" crowd come out and lecture us all! Personnaly, I WILL NOT vote for any of my Congress critters or GW if a renewal gets passed. I don't give a shit if Hitlery is running for president. Payback can and should be a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I only paid 1000 bucks for my Bushy pre ban, but I am looking foward to it losing at least half that value.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#19]
[beathorse]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top