Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 10:17:05 PM EDT
I found another continuous rail that has not been debated upon - at least that I have seen; the Les Baer Four-Position Free Floating handguard. Does anyone have experience with this handguard and know if the Picatinny rails are made to spec?

I am just curious how this would stand up against the Knights URX II handguards.

http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223b.html

Thanx.
Sammy

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Troy. That is all of the information I wanted to know! Sounds like I am going to wait for the HK 416 and mount a Knights URX II on her

Thanx.
Sammy

Quoted:
Well, to start, it's poorly ventilated, much heavier, bigger around, and the lower portion can't be removed for cleaning or mounting an M203, all of which the URX does or does better.

It would be fine for a target rifle, which is what Les markets to, but the market has spoken LOUDLY when it comes to tactical rifles, and LB ain't even a player.

-Troy

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you Troy. That is all of the information I wanted to know! Sounds like I am going to wait for the HK 416 and mount a Knights URX II on her

Thanx.
Sammy

I believe the 416 might need to use proprietary handguards as there is insufficient space in handguards built for the standard M16/M4/AR15 family to accomodate its piston system.  The URX might have to be modded or be redesigned to accept it.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Patience is of the essence my friend, patience is of the essence.

Sammy
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy I own a les baer thunder ranch carbine.I am so glad you told me it is not a combat rifle.I would just not know what to do if experts like you were not here to advise. Your a genius!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Troy I own a les baer thunder ranch carbine.I am so glad you told me it is not a combat rifle.I would just not know what to do if experts like you were not here to advise. Your a genius!

Actually, Troy said nothing of the sort. He said that in the market of tactical/combat rifles, few people buy Baer - a statement which is 100% true. He also said that Baer markets primarily to the competition/target crowd. Another statement that is 100% true.

Now, I'll agree that Troy may seem like a genius if only because he knows the difference between the possessive "your" and the contraction "you're"; but I assure you he is just a well-informed user stating the facts.

In any case, I always appreciate his advice if only to help separate the wheat from the chaff since there are so many people who feel qualified to put in their $.02 without actually bothering to make a coherent argument or demonstrate any knowledge of the subject being discussed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know Les Baer markets the Thunder Ranch Special as having bench rest and match quality barrel.  This is not a put down but rather just what the TR Special is.

Personally I prefer chrome lined barrels and 5.56 chambers and I was wondering how well your rifle shoots 5.56 ammo like XM193, Q3131a or XM855/SS-109?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just genuinely curious how well NATO spec ammo works with the LB AR's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If Les Baer had made a rifle exactly the way Clint Smith wanted it, he would have made what is essentially a copy of the SP-1 series of ARs (which is basically what Clint always recommends to his students anyway).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top