Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 5:21:27 PM EDT
Hi ya’ll,

I just wanted to tell ya’ll about the special I’m running concerning my AR 15 Left Side Bolt Handle. For the month of May, anyone who sends their AR upper to me for my bolt handle conversion will get free return shipping - usually $15.

A little about my Left Side Bolt Handle -

Advantages -

1 - Able to keep your sights on target and shooting hand on the pistol grip while clearing a malfunction.

2 - May be used as a forward assist. Earlier AR 15s and current AR 10s have no forward assist.

3 - If your left arm is occupied or injured, you can clear a malfunction by hooking the bolt handle on your belt.

4 - Perfect for scoped ARs.

This modification has been approved for duty use by Denver PD.

See a article about my Left Side Bolt Handle and my CQB Standoff in “Special Weapons For Law Enforcement - 2003 Law Enforcement Buyers Guide”. On stands now.

Price for the conversion is $150. Contact me for the shipping address. All I need is the complete upper and the bolt stop.

Quick turnaround. Usually less than 2 weeks on the bolt handle.

Please check out my web page for other gunsmithing services. I’ve been a professional gunsmith for 15 years. If you don’t see it on my web page, please ask. I can accommodate most of your gunsmithing needs.

Thanks for looking,
Lee Hadaway
The Arms Room, LLC.
www.thearmsroom.com=

I would post a pic, but I'm not too good at this computer stuff. If one of the moderators can help, please let me know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
This is Brad at Target Masters Training Academy, Inc. ChiefBDT, on the forums. I just wanted to jump in on this post and let everyone know that Mr. Hadaway does outstanding work and has done the L side bolt handle on our Colt A3s. This is an awesome deal and you are going to Love his Left side Bolt Handle. PS: Can someone help me post a photo here???

Thanks,
ChiefBDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
How about if I already have a DPMS side charger? Are your mods similiar?(to the DPMS) will your bolt handle conversion work with the DPMS?
thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Here you go.

[img]http://www.thearmsroom.com.futuresite.register.com/db5/00460/thearmsroom.com/_uimages/ARbolt2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Notack,
I don't think my bolt handle will work with the DPMS side charging handle. My bolt handle attaches directly to the bolt and reciprocates with the bolt. Theirs rests ahead of the bolt and only moves when you un-fold the handle and pull it to the rear.

I firmly believe in K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

A folding handle is hard to manipulate with gloves, or if its cold or wet. And it is impossible to use as a forward assist.

In my opinion (and everyone else's who has used my conversion), my bolt handle is easier to operate, has more advantages, and is 1/2 the price of the folding handle conversions.

Thanks Terrato for posting the pic.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
what a great Idea, I really like it but, not only are you adding another charging system but you have probably made the AR a much cleaner gun to operate..... My applause....

but just from an engineer's prespective {and a bit of devils advocate or is it envy for not thinking that one up myself...lol} anyway Im curious???

How have the moments been recalculated to travel through the upper.

I didnt notice any external re-enforcement's are  they internal or did this procedure not cause any issuse's pertaining to terminating the recoil absorption???

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Notack,
I don't think my bolt handle will work with the DPMS side charging handle. My bolt handle attaches directly to the bolt and reciprocates with the bolt. Theirs rests ahead of the bolt and only moves when you un-fold the handle and pull it to the rear.

I firmly believe in K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

A folding handle is hard to manipulate with gloves, or if its cold or wet. And it is impossible to use as a forward assist.

In my opinion (and everyone else's who has used my conversion), my bolt handle is easier to operate, has more advantages, and is 1/2 the price of the folding handle conversions.

Thanks Terrato for posting the pic.

Thanks,
Lee
View Quote

Thanks for your reply. I will agree that the DPMS is definitely a bench gun item.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Going for the "Galil look" Nice gunsmithing that upper looks factory stock.

It's probably nice for clearing jams (when they occur).

But it opens a port in the side of the upper that dirt can enter (the Ar-15/M-16 doesn't like debris in the action)
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
DoubleC - The structural integrity of the receiver has not been compromised. The square raceway for the standard operating handle gives the receiver plenty of rigidity. Plus, the bolt carrier rides on rails inside the receiver. If it did not, the bolt carrier would have 100% contact with the receiver causing too much drag. The slot for the bolt handle is positioned so that these rails are not altered in any way.

The slot for the bolt handle is precision machined so that the bolt handle never touches the receiver. Also, if a PD or Agency sent in 100+ ARs for conversions, the receivers and bolt carriers would all interchange.

My main concern was that the additional weight of the bolt handle would slow the bolt carrier and create malfunctions. I have installed over 100 of these handles with no negative response. I mean 0, nada, zilch.
Denver PD really put it through a torture test before they approved it.

I try to think of everything before I put someones life on the line with one of my weapons. You should see me “Great Idea But Does Not Work Worth A Damn” pile that is growing in the basement.

Green0 - The one concern that some people have is that the slot opens the receiver and allows dust and debris to enter the action. OK, this may be a point if we are taking these to Iraq, but under normal or even extreme conditions, this is not a cause for concern. (I consider the conditions in Iraq to be horrific, well above extreme). The military can not adopt this conversion anyway because the bolt handle is held to the bolt carrier by a allen screw. It can no longer be field stripped without tools. I designed this for Law Enforcement. Think about it. The SWAT Team drives up to the crack house, takes it down, gets back into their van and goes back to the station.

I prefer to think of the slot as a opening used to apply oil to the back side of the bolt carrier. How many times have you been to the range and said, “Damn, it’s getting dry” and had to break open the receiver, remove the bolt and give it a shot of some slickum. I know I have. Not anymore. A few drops through the bolt handle slot and you are up and running.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Lee is a great guy...with time to talk if you need to...
He is working on my Bushy right now...will post pics upon getting it back...
I really want this mod on my AR-10 A4
as without any forward assist..and a good size scope mounted back over the charging handle..
A reciprocating bolt handle is the cats ass imo..
And if the weapon jams ..fails to extract..you can always kick start it...
If you watch where the barrel is pointed that is :)

BTW I forgot to add (and Lee is too modest to) that he was the head shotgun wizard of Scattergun Technologies before their sale to Wilson...that pretty well speaks for itself imo
Also if you need a post ban brake or comp Lee's another guy to see...nice turn around time to...

Wouldnt mind seeing a forum for scatterguns..here...Lee's experitise sure would be a nice addition to it...imo
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I know there has been concerns about the slot for the bolt handle allowing dust and debris into the action.

I just got off the phone with a former gunsmithing student of mine who lives in Alamagordo, N.M. I installed a left side bolt handle on his AR about 4 months ago. He told me that last weekend, he took his AR coyote hunting in the desert. He said his AR rode for 4 hours, un-covered, in the gun rack of his 4 wheeler in the New Mexico desert. He said red sand was caked on his AR, but the rifle functioned flawlessly at the end of the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top