Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 3:43:24 PM EDT
Waiting on my Busy V MATCH. If evryone is in agreement would like to just put rings on the flat top high enough so my grand slam scope does not get in the way of the charging handle. Troy I had the armalite mount that you like so much but found it limited in how I could move the scope foward ( but a great suggestion in other posts).I just want rings high enough that will allow the scope to be forward enough so I can lean in to the shot rather then sitting back with my head moving around. Millet rings alright? low, med or high. Or would you just get the charging handle extention and put the scope as low as it can go? Where do you get the tactical charging handle extentions. Thank you all
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow - what are you trying to do with the weapon?

The Armalite one piece rings will put the center of the scope at the same height as the iron sights - or close enough to it that I don't notice the feel on the cheek weld.

ARMS #22M (medium) sights feel about the same.

The issue you'll face is the charging handle impacting your nose. I enjoy keeping my nose right off the end of the (stock) charging handle so I adjust the sight forwards and backwards to get it there. As I mount a rifle the cheek hits the stock and I move my face forward until my nose touches the charging handle.

Your head doesn't "move around" as you shoot - you lock it to the weapon - with the cheek weld - to keep the front sight, rear sight and eyeball all in alignment as the weapon is fired. Holding the weapon gently with the support hand and with the pistol grip reduces the ammount of flinch induced into the rifle. The recoil is but a tiny amount - enough to flip the barrel off of the target a bit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Arbud, you might want to consider an Arms #36ex...that will give you the extra forward length you need to provide the proper eye relief with your face where you want it.  Also, it raises the flat top up about 1/3 of an inch...you can still use a medium ring, and it'll make it much easier to charge the rifle without needind the tac handle.  

Here's a pic of my 16" with the scope mounted on the #22 high rings, and on top of a #38.  

I outsmarted myself...had I known I was gonna put these handguards on, I would have gotten the #38ex...for exactly the reason you're discussing here.  As it sits now, this setup has the scope a little higher than it needs to be, but it still works.  

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/188491/modular1.jpg[/img]

BTW, the Aetec scope needs a little more eye relief than some of my other scopes, but this setup seems to be perfect for it.  Notice how everything is mounted as far forward as it will go...you can see why the #38ex would have worked better.  Of course, I can't go too much further, 'cos then I got the front sight to worry about.  BTW, the #36 does NOT have the rear sight built in...so it would not cause you any problems in that regard.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top