Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2017 10:51:19 AM EDT
I ordered a PredatOBR several months ago. Received it,took it out to shoot and had several issues.  Using factory ammo, I had issues cycling.  Jams 9 out of 10 times. Accuracy issues. I mounted 2 other scopes and still could not zero.

On Nov 23rd I called Larue and created a ticket.  On Nov 26th, I responded to the techs questionnaire. The questionnaire has been copied and pasted below for your review.

If you have made it this far in the post, it is now 2+ weeks later.  After 4 phone calls, 3 emails and posts in a Facebook group I have come here for help. This rifle is about to be shipped back. I'm pissed. These issues above are only half of why I'm pissed.  Here is the main reason.

Larue now implements, apparently, thier XTRAXN chamber. I reload. After 100 rounds, not 1 piece of brass can be resized. They will not fit in the die. I have tried 3 different dies.  They will NOT FIT. Most likely due to the wonderful XTRAXN chamber.  This is a giant middle finger to me, in my opinion.  If I can't reload for it, I don't want it. This defeats the purpose of owning the rifle in the first place.  With that being said, this is not the Larue that I know.  I have looked forward to owning a Larue for YEARS. YEARS. Now that I finally have one, I am more then disappointed.

Any help is appreciated.  I'm going too my ffl tomorrow. This rifle is going to be sent back tomorrow if I can't get any help. Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't post the email. It's too long.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Sucks your having issues, their customer service is usually top notch.  They delays may be due to the season and high volumes of product movement.   They xtran chamber stuff is on you, last I looked its all over their websites and I know many ppl discussing reloading that brass.  You will likely be dog piled even if your customer service grips have legs.

Did you try various mags?  Various ammo?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry for your troubles.  This is a technical forum.  LaRue has their own forum here and that is where you should have posted your complaint.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Not liking the rifle is one thing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If they cant fix, tell em you want your money back don't F around is it a .308? LARUE doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
How many other places/companies can one be talking to the owner of the company w/i 10 minutes of posting a complaint?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It just doesn't group. It has improved though. From being able to hit a 36" target at 50 to a 12" at 100. I had checked the new scope. It's mounted correctly,  level, with the torque specs per the scope mfg instructions.  At first I thought it was a scope issue.  Then I switched scopes. I can't zero because it just won't group enough to zero. If the email could fit, you'd have better info.  I'm trying to shrink it so it can fit.

As for the post being in the wrong place,  sorry.  Didn't see it. Will do from now on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
You mean weeks later? Probably quite a few.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Accuracy.  Pictures attached of 6 targets from the day I shot. User error is not the problem here.  I shoot PRS, im former military,  and i shoot very frequently. 2 Pics attached of a 500 yard target, 5 and 6 shot group with a 338lm. I have not disassemble the rifle past the bolt assembly. Only field stripped it for light cleaning. Ran a boresnake once after 20 rounds. Nothing else through the barrel for cleaning.

Feeding,  double feeding, bolt not locking back after mag Is empty sometimes.  Some failed extractions. Bolt head scrapes some cases still in the mag.

Which model/caliber rifle do you have?  PredatOBR 7.62 20" bbl

What length is your barrel? 20

What is your purchase date? Very recently. October or November.

Are you the original owner? Yes.

What kind of stock is on your rifle? Whatever you decided to pin weld to the rifle after being told it was going to get changed anyway.

Which buffer and buffer spring are you using? (if 5.56, do you have both springs?) Whatever came with it. I ordered a lighter spring anyway. Hasn't arrived yet.

Have you made any changes/modifications to the rifle (such as trigger group, bolt carrier, mag catch, or bolt catch)? No mods.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Was the rifle cleaned and lubricated when you experienced the issue?

Yes. I use CLP.

Is the gas selector on the left or on the right when youre in the shooting position? (Disregard for PredatAR)

Unsuppressed. Left.

How many rounds have been fired through the rifle?

How many rounds have been fired through the rifle when you experienced malfunction.

What kind of ammo are you shooting? Manufacturer and bullet weight.

M118s 175gr and FGMM 168 gr.

What was the ambient temperature?

Does the carrier lock back on the last round?

Sometimes.

When shooting from the bench is the rifle resting on the mag?

No. I shoot prone after scope is sighted in.

What kind of mags are you using?

Pmag. Whatever you shipped with it.

Where is the firearm throwing brass?

4 to 5 o clock. About 4 to 6 ft back when prone.

Is it consistent?

The brass throwing? Only when it ejects.

Any other information that you think may be helpful.

I tried 2 different factory ammunition. Both had the same issues with feeding,  extraction and most importantly, with accuracy.  The biggest issue other then the obvious accuracy issue is the feeding. The bolt gets jammed back and doesn't feed the round.  Sometimes the bolt doesn't even catch the round from the mag. I have tried hand feeding a round with and without the mag in, with and without putting pressure on the mag as well as pulling the mag down while it's inserted. No improvement.  The feeding issues got worse the more rounds went through it, even after cleaning the receiver and bolt assembly.  She was wet with CLP.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are having accuracy issues answer the following.

Optic?

Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18x50.

Optic mount?

Spuhr Cantilever 1.5" 20MOA.

Have the rings and mount been properly installed?

Yes. With loctite. Double, triple and quadruple checked at the range and at home after the range time.

Which positions are you shooting from?

Mostly prone.  Sighted in from the bench which,  was impossible due to the accuracy issues.

Are you shooting from a bipod, sand bags or a rest?

Atlas bipod with a small bag in the rear under the stock.

If you are shooting from a bipod, Are you loading the bipod?

Yes. Slightly. Consistent pressure in my shoulder and bipod with the legs at a 90 degree angle. Not a 45 forward or backwards like I see others do....
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey OP you got the Head Honcho on the line up there, might wanna respond to him
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you taken it completely apart and put it back together?
View Quote
Several times. The previous 3 posts are copy and paste of the email i sent back to Larue. Their questionnaire. This was done on 11/26/2016. Several things are a little different since them. I have taken it apart, fully, several times for cleaning. I could not see any burrs anywhere. When i rack the bolt, it smells brand new still. I can tell the tolerances are pretty tight. The other scopes i have tried are a Burris XTR ii, 4-20x50 with Larue Tactical QD mount, a Kahles K624i SKMR3 with Spuhr WD Mount. The Kahles and Burris, i have used both for PRS competition. There is now 107 rounds through the rifle. Still jams and doesn't feed sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't eject. Brass stays inside the chamber and jams. Ammo used is stated above. If i forgot anything else.... I cant think of it. Have a 4 month old. Too many things on my mind when im not at the range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey OP you got the Head Honcho on the line up there, might wanna respond to him
View Quote
I know. Im trying to give everyone updated info. Most recent developments. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you tell us what spring and buffer it has in it? I think they put a lighter spring and buffer in for a 308 than say a 260 maybe somebody got mixed up?

The buffer face should be stamped with a h1,h2 or h3 sometimes the h1's have no stamp and the spring has a paint color in it.none  of my 308's came with 2 springs.

Have you changed out the tube/stock/spring/buffer assembly?

What barrel length is the gun?

Don't worry it has been a very busy couple weeks at larue,but THEY will take care of you. In my dealings with them they have always been professional and top notch.

It is my understanding the gun is tested with federal 168/175 gold metal match ammo,i have shot tons of lr 118 ammo thru mine and have had no issues at all,i can say im not a fan of clp and would run it wet with Mobil 1 or similar lube for the first 100 rounds.i think larue uses the machine gunners lube they sell.

Good luck
Pete
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Am I missing where you identify exactly what ammunition ?
View Quote
Yep. Its above. And below:

What kind of ammo are you shooting? Manufacturer and bullet weight.

M118s 175gr and FGMM 168 gr.

Like i said. The questionnaire your techs asked me to fill out and respond to in the email, is pasted above. I had to split it up into several posts since i cant post more than 2K characters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BoomPow,

How did it shoot before the first time you took it apart?
View Quote
When i get a new rifle, i always take it apart and clean it before shooting. Most the time there is grease on the rifle and the action isn't always lubed. Wasn't much cleaning to do but, gotta make sure everything is there and it can function properly before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Adjustable torque wrench - if so, how many foot pounds?  I found that my tOBR shoots it's best at 44 foot pounds after testing it out in 2 foot pounds increments from 40 - 50. I was just estimating the 1/8th turn past hand tight and have achieved better results keeping a specific torque.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Adjustable torque wrench - if so, how many foot pounds?  I found that my tOBR shoots it's best at 44 foot pounds after testing it out in 2 foot pounds increments from 40 - 50. I was just estimating the 1/8th turn past hand tight and have achieved better results keeping a specific torque.
View Quote
44 foot pounds might break the rifle...Probably not a good idea. But, the rings are at 18 to 20 in-lbs. They are all QD mounts.  QD mounts are set per the instructions.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

44 foot pounds might break the rifle...Probably not a good idea. But, the rings are at 18 to 20 in-lbs. They are all QD mounts.  QD mounts are set per the instructions.
View Quote
What part do you think he's telling you to torque at 44lbs?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Come on guys.  Surely he ain't taking the barrel nut off.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Boom Boom ---- remain calm.

I will bet you a days pay that if you do, your problem will be handled and resolved.  Being one of many many satisfied LaRue rifle owners, and having 2 myself, I can assure you that your experience is a rarity and far from the norm.   Be patient, and allow the diagnosis to continue, or give the shop a chance to correct any issue, and I'm pretty sure you'll walk away satisfied.

ETA:  I reload for my xtraxn chambered .308 OBR, and don't have any problem resizing my brass with standard Redding Competition FL bushing dies

ETA2:  And, to be fair, if the shop sent you the questionnaire, then they did respond...not to mention that you've got the owner of the company talking to you here in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Boom Boom ---- remain calm.

I will bet you a days pay that if you do, your problem will be handled and resolved.  Being one of many many satisfied LaRue rifle owners, and having 2 myself, I can assure you that your experience is a rarity and far from the norm.   Be patient, and allow the diagnosis to continue, or give the shop a chance to correct any issue, and I'm pretty sure you'll walk away satisfied.

ETA:  I reload for my xtraxn chambered .308 OBR, and don't have any problem resizing my brass with standard Redding Competition FL bushing dies

ETA2:  And, to be fair, if the shop sent you the questionnaire, then they did respond...not to mention that you've got the owner of the company talking to you here in this thread.
View Quote
Where do I begin with you.  OH. At the beginning.  Right. Remain calm. How many thousands would you like to spend and then not receive anything but an "well call you before the end of the day," twice, not gotten a call back and ignored phone calls and emails? 2k? 10k? I don't need to spend ANY money for that.  I could just call the VA and tell them I still can't feel my leg from that explosion 9 years ago over seas. I could just do that  for free.

For the brass. Good for you.  How about I ship you 10 of mine so you can give them a try? For real.  I'll pay shipping both ways.  I have a redding type s bushing, Forster and the Redding competition dies. They don't work.  I didn't even count the RCBS but, I'm sure you can guess why

The shop sent me the questionnaire while I was on the phone with them because I'm very aware of what a busy mind can forget.  I didn't hang up until I made sure I got it so, no. They haven't responded to the questionnaire.  It's posted above and takes 3 minutes or less to read.  What's so complicated? Maybe Spanish would be better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where do I begin with you.  OH. At the beginning.  Right. Remain calm. How many thousands would you like to spend and then not receive anything but an "well call you before the end of the day," twice, not gotten a call back and ignored phone calls and emails? 2k? 10k? I don't need to spend ANY money for that.  I could just call the VA and tell them I still can't feel my leg from that explosion 9 years ago over seas. I could just do that  for free.

For the brass. Good for you.  How about I ship you 10 of mine so you can give them a try? For real.  I'll pay shipping both ways.  I have a redding type s bushing, Forster and the Redding competition dies. They don't work.  I didn't even count the RCBS but, I'm sure you can guess why

The shop sent me the questionnaire while I was on the phone with them because I'm very aware of what a busy mind can forget.  I didn't hang up until I made sure I got it so, no. They haven't responded to the questionnaire.  It's posted above and takes 3 minutes or less to read.  What's so complicated? Maybe Spanish would be better.
View Quote
Yeah, you don't sound calm.

I'm not saying mistakes don't happen.  I am saying that with LT they are rare, and can be resolved.  There are people here who can help you, who want to help you, but if you snap at them, they're just going to say fuck it.  Attitude goes a long way.  Meanwhile, thank you for your service  - for making the commitment to protect the freedoms of jag-offs like me.  I do sincerely appreciate your sacrifice.

Clearly, sending me your brass isn't going to help you if your chamber is out of spec.  Stick with customer service, gentle persistence -- and they will make good and get you squared away.

Also - for future reference -- here's a direct link to LaRue's industry forum where you might get advice from other LaRue rifle owners.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/LaRue-Tactical/219/

ETA:  I've been using both Lapua and Winchester brass in my OBR 7.62.  The Win brass is on it's 5th cycle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BoomPow,

How did it shoot before the first time you took it apart?
View Quote
Aha!

I see where this is going.

Did you clean the rifle and remove the cosmoline before shooting it?

A) No... Sorry your warranty is void, you didn't follow the instructions
B) Yes... Sorry your warranty is void, you took the rifle apart

Just kidding, I'm sure Mark will sort it out!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Op you come off as a real jerk.

Nobody likes getting a product they’re unhappy with.

But you’re not going to get results by acting like a snarky ass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When i get a new rifle, i always take it apart and clean it before shooting. Most the time there is grease on the rifle and the action isn't always lubed. Wasn't much cleaning to do but, gotta make sure everything is there and it can function properly before pulling the trigger.
View Quote
I think marks point is did you remove the barrel when you disassembled the rifle,since this is a tobr and set up for easy takedown this is is a valid question.

If so did you retighten it properly? Of course even if you dident remove it dosent mean it is tight? On the tobr it should be tightened to between 40-50 ft lb or 1/8 turn past hand tight if I remember correctly. I put mine on as tight as I can get it holding the rifle in the field and 45 ft lb at home in the vise.

As for your brass you should be able to resize it,what are you using for case lube?

Pete
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes I will. I'm glad you got the message though.  I garuntee if I wouldn't have posted this, I'd be waiting for months for them to call me back. I'm done trying now. Mission accomplished.  Well see what happens now.

Thanks for the responses.  Including you Mr. Larue.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes I will. I'm glad you got the message though.  I garuntee if I wouldn't have posted this, I'd be waiting for months for them to call me back. I'm done trying now. Mission accomplished.  Well see what happens now.

Thanks for the responses.  Including you Mr. Larue. One can only stay patient for so long.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think marks point is did you remove the barrel when you disassembled the rifle,since this is a tobr and set up for easy takedown this is is a valid question.

If so did you retighten it properly? Of course even if you dident remove it dosent mean it is tight? On the tobr it should be tightened to between 40-50 ft lb or 1/8 turn past hand tight if I remember correctly. I put mine on as tight as I can get it holding the rifle in the field and 45 ft lb at home in the vise.

As for your brass you should be able to resize it,what are you using for case lube?

Pete
View Quote
I have taken it apart. I did not take the barrel off before the first time I shot. I took it off after the 1st time out. It is tight at 45 in a vice.

I have tried, one shot, imperial, lanolin and alcohol. Imperial seems to have gotten the furthest but it just got stuck. Bad.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks for the responses.  Including you Mr. Larue. One can only stay patient for so long.
View Quote
Oh I see. You’re one of those people.

I’ll just complain until I get my way. Excuse me if I think that’s just juvenile, and is the reason I’m glad I don’t deal with customers like you.

I’ll give you $500 for that upper though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Post the proof group that came with your rifle.

There are threads on here that tell you how to post a pic.

Or post your  order number and I'll post a pic of your tOBR's  proof group.

And if you think you're  snarky enough, bring the damn thing to Texas and I guarantee ya I'll embarrass the sh*t out of you with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post the proof group that came with your rifle.

There are threads on here that tell you how to post a pic.

Or post your  order number and I'll post a pic of your tOBR's  proof group.

And if you think you're  snarky enough, bring the damn thing to Texas and I guarantee ya I'll embarrass the sh*t out of you with it.

See Mr Boom. The man knows its not his rifle.  I urge you to drive down there and let the man himself shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]
What did your test target look like?

I have a tobr lite, and 2 larue barreled uppers, I have no issues with reloading brass from any of them. Not sure why your having issues, I’ve never heard of anyone having issues resizing brass out of a larue.

There’s a possibility that yours is out of spec one way or another, just take a breath and they’ll take care of you.

I’ve seen them bend over backwards to “fix” rifles that the customer altered.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now THAT'S customer service

Now it's getting good.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#42]
OP does not sound snarky to me. Just sounds a little frustrated trying to get some customer service. Hope you get the problem sorted out.
Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I see Nutnfancy is up to his old tricks again....
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I need to get a messed up Larue rifle just so I can get an invite to shoot with Mark.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I need to get a messed up Larue rifle just so I can get an invite to shoot with Mark.
View Quote
Nice....
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP does not sound snarky to me. Just sounds a little frustrated trying to get some customer service. Hope you get the problem sorted out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#47]
The op is coming off as a ass,it would seem to me he likely just needed to call LaRue again as I’m sure they would have had him send it back to see what was up. What seems odd is he seems like almost everything that can go wrong has. Along with the new account may just be trolling.
So let’s see it op what’s the test target look like?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
0!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#49]
LMFAO!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
LMFAO!!!
View Quote
the thread has spilled over onto facebook's Long Range Shooters and Precision Marksman group, and it's even more of a shit show over there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top