Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 7:39:36 PM EDT
This will be used for a patrol rifle, so it must be very solid and hold zero like no other.  Would the LaRue be better than the ARMS w/spacer, or vice versa and why?

Edited to add:  It appears that the standard mount would be more solid and less likely to catch on anything during quick removal from the trunk than a cantilever(less nooks and crannies to get a sling/cloth/tire iron/etc... caught in), yes/no?
(Also, the mount will be used with an Aimpoint, it that makes a difference)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quick question on the Larue scope mount, for those who might know.......

Appears like the Larue mount is quite low, as in pic above, CAN YOU ACTUALLY GET YOUR HEAD/EYE LOW ENOUGH TO SEE THRU THIS OPTIC AS MOUNTED?

Does it not need to be raised?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quick question on the Larue scope mount, for those who might know.......

Appears like the Larue mount is quite low, as in pic above, CAN YOU ACTUALLY GET YOUR HEAD/EYE LOW ENOUGH TO SEE THRU THIS OPTIC AS MOUNTED?

Does it not need to be raised?

Mike

The flattop mount pictured here and above is 1.50" from top of receiver to the centerline of the rings which I believe is about average for most makers’ tall rings and works fine for me.

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/DSCN0085-2.jpg
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
THanks, for the info, sometimes pics can be deceiving.....

Mike
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a brief (maybe 20-30 shots) look with the Larue mount and I've owned a couple of ARMS mounts with a #19S that I have been using a lot for about a year now.

Both the Larue and ARMS mounts are solid and have excellent return to zero qualities. I can't tell the difference between a 5-shot group fired all at aonce and a five shot-group where the mount has been removed after every shot with either mount.

The major difference between them I noticed is that ARMS uses a pad that relies heavily on both the ARMS mount and 1913 rail being in-spec to work and Larue uses an adjustable tensioning screw for its throw levers that allows you to fit it to the cheaper rails that aren't quite up to 1913 specs.

Over time, there is less tension on the ARMS mount from repeated locking and unlocking of the levers; but so far the zero hasn't shifted even a fraction and it still has perfect return to zero ability for me. However, the change in tension makes me wonder how much wear is happening with the pad on the ARMS mount and whether an adjustable tension throw lever might not have an advantage in longevity? However, the ARMS throw levers have been around for awhile now and I've yet to see complaints about their longevity.

For me, if I was buying a new mount, the main factors would be price, followed by how closely I thought my upper receiver matched the 1913 spec.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]
As you will be using an Aimpoint, I would suggest the ARMS because of its versatililty.  The ARMS will cowitness with your iron sites via the following: on a SIR with no spacer, on the hump of a RAS II with no spacer, on the upper reciever with a full spacer, on the upper receiver with a catilever spacer, or on any forend with a full spacer.  

This is something to consider if you will be changing weapons or upgrading / downgrading at any time.

I do not believe the Larue gives you all of these options in one mount.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone probably knows my opinion on this matter.

I couldn't be happier with my LaRue mount.  The adjustable throw-lever is absolutely excellent.  It also places no stress on your Aimpoint.  The throw-lever itself is made of solid bar stock, not MIM.

It is just a beefier, heavier mount.  Mine has survived three drops from approx. 3-4 feet.  Has been mounted/dismounted over 65 times now, with no shift of my POI/zero.

And, it's made in Texas!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 Mine has survived three drops from approx. 3-4 feet.

I thought I told you to stop sleeping with that carbine!  Next time sleep on the floor so it won't keep falling off the bed!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Mine has survived three drops from approx. 3-4 feet.

I thought I told you to stop sleeping with that carbine!  Next time sleep on the floor so it won't keep falling off the bed!

Oh yeah!!  Sure...

Do you know how hard it is to eat and hold my cabine at the same time????  I tell ya, it got me some funny looks at Mother's Day lunch!!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top