Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2004 7:53:37 AM EST
Planning on buying an M4 upper assembly in the future. Which would you buy? LMT or CMMG DPMS?

Any suggestions on what I should do to modify it? Rails? Vert Grips?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:55:47 AM EST
I would get the LMT upper
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:56:45 AM EST
CMMG are great guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:58:01 AM EST
Not all DPMS barrels that I've run across have a 5.56 chamber. I would want to make sure of that before ordering. There have also been reports of DPMS carrier failures.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:00:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 8:03:01 AM EST by M11293]

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
There have also been reports of DPMS carrier failures.

Heard the same with LMT Bolt issues.

But, I don't want to start an argument.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:16:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 8:26:51 AM EST by Tex78]
The CMMG/DPMS uppers are supposed to have a true 5.56NATO chamber. I cant say that I've personally measured the chamber to assure this, but I can say that thus far, the upper I have has run flawlessly, with the short 120 round session I had with it.

The upper I recieved had a chromed bolt carrier, which I was not expecting, but does feel very slick and hasn't seemed to be a problem.

The upper is T-marked, came with an M4 profile, chome lined 1in7" barrel, and seems to be New-Bushmaster-Black in color. It was very slightly off in color to my friend's prebanBM lower I tested function with.

My only gripe is that I am going to have to use my +.040 sight post with it because I like the ARMS #40, and it seems that wherever my #40 goes, so does my taller front site post.

Also printed a cute little 3/4" group at 50 yds with my EOtech using XM193 ammo.

Overall I am very happy so far.

Tex78

FORGOT TO ADD:

I swapped over my RASII to this upper and after a reinstall because I didn't think I needed to read the directions, it went on without a hiccup, locked to it in the standard super-rigid fashion.

I like this setup, but to make mounting a scope easier for accuracy testing, I will might go with a system like the LaRue, Troy, or DD in a 12" setup down the road. That is unless you allready have an ACOG, in which the RASII has the no issues to worry about.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:25:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:34:56 AM EST
I like my LMT form Denney's guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:59:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By CMMG:

Our uppers & barrels are not made by DPMS. Our first batch was, but now we "roll our own". Our receivers do have T markings and are the correct height. Barrels are 4150 steel, chrome lined and 5.56 chamber with a 1/7 twist.

Jeff

CMMG:

I'm curious about the railed forearms on your SBR uppers; who makes them?
Thanks
Balisong
Top Top