BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:00 PM EDT
whats the difference between this

and this

i can see it says the barrel is different, one is CL and one is SS and with a different twist.

is one more accurate than the other? im guessing the SS is? but then would it be bad for closer range rapid shooting?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]

you already have all of the answers.

the SS will be fine for *up close* work but it's more ideal for a precision rig. in theory the SS should be more accurate than the CL version but CL version has been very impressive. i'm more than likely going to skip the SS 308 barrel and opt for the 260 when it's ready.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

the SS will be fine for *up close* work but it's more ideal for a precision rig. in theory the SS should be more accurate than the CL version but CL version has been very impressive. i'm more than likely going to skip the SS 308 barrel and opt for the 260 when it's ready.

my main question i guess is would the higher volume of rounds hurt the barrel if the SS is more of a precision barrel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my main question i guess is would the higher volume of rounds hurt the barrel if the SS is more of a precision barrel?

i'm not going to say that it will hurt the barrel but if your intended use will be more of a *fighting rifle* i would go with the CL. the MWS 5R SS barrels are pure win for sure and should hold up to anyhing that you can throw at them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Amt. of rds. down the SS tube is not what wears them out per say but rather excessive heat on them occurring from higher volumes of relatively sustained fire or running excessively hot loaded ammo and you erode the throat....if you do not cook a SS and properly clean and maintain it than you will get quite a nice service life as well as its match grade life.  Just do not handle it as if it were the same as a 2-3moa high volume m4 CL type barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top