Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:32:25 AM EDT
I am in the military and am considering a deal for a BM LE/Gov't marked AR15.  Can I buy it?  The gun will be for personal use so it really has nothing to do with me being a gov't employee, but I don't know the official rule on this.  Please help!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, the AWB is over for the US unless you live in a Ban State you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you mean this mark:  "For Law Enforcement/Government use only"?

If that's what's on it, it means nothing anymore.  That inscription means that the lower was assembled into a rifle of LE/Gov configuration (flash suppressor, bayonet lug) during the Kiltoon AWB years.  The AWB is gone, so the inscrition is meaningless.

However, if the lower is made by Colt or FN and says "U.S. property", then you might be looking a a problem.

Some other companies (who are not suppliers of complete rifles to the military) put "US rifle", "US property", "Government Model", etc on their rifles either because the rifle they are selling is identical to something they supply to a .fed LE agency (like the Rock River DEA carbine) or just to be cool.

The long and short of it is that anything is legal to own as long as it hasn't been stolen from a .gov armory.

I have a rifle marked "U.S. Rifle, M1", which made it .gov property at some point in the past.  Fortunately for me, that rifle has been surplused so it was legal for me to buy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the update guys!  the weapon i am referring to is a "Restricted, Law Enforcement/Goverment Use Only" Bushmaster Dissipator A3 w/rem. carry handle.

Value I'm figuring is about 750-800.  Has about 1000 rounds through it, and comes with a few slings, case, paperwork, x2 30rd. mags, etc.

What do you think about the price?  I have checked elsewhere on the net and that seems to be about right on the price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
thanks for the update guys!  the weapon i am referring to is a "Restricted, Law Enforcement/Goverment Use Only" Bushmaster Dissipator A3 w/rem. carry handle.

Value I'm figuring is about 750-800.  Has about 1000 rounds through it, and comes with a few slings, case, paperwork, x2 30rd. mags, etc.

What do you think about the price?  I have checked elsewhere on the net and that seems to be about right on the price.

Sounds like a decent price to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
A good deal.  Jump on it.

Max
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Get it, get more mags and ammo, shoot it, take some classes.

Most importantly.....enjoy!

Youre good to go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just did a quick check for "dissipator" on gunbroker and found at least four NIB between $750 and $850.

I'll pay that much for a new one, not for one with 1K rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just did a quick check for "dissipator" on gunbroker and found at least four NIB between $750 and $850.

I'll pay that much for a new one, not for one with $1K rounds through it.

BIG +1
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, here's the reference from the atf that says it's OK to own the friearms marked "For Military/Law Enforcement, etc.

Specifically:

"There are no longer any marking requirements for semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Existing markings on firearms and magazines relating to law enforcement or government use may be disregarded......

Law enforcement officers and police departments who obtained semiautomatic assault weapons are no longer required to use such firearms only for official use.

Law enforcement officers and police departments may now sell or transfer semiautomatic assault weapons to persons who are not prohibited from receiving firearms."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Still, after watching the aftermath of Katrina, I try to avoid owning LE/GOV marked stuff because Joe Patrolman isn't going to know the ins and outs of the law and is likely to just make it up as he goes along.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Still, after watching the aftermath of Katrina, I try to avoid owning LE/GOV marked stuff because Joe Patrolman isn't going to know the ins and outs of the law and is likely to just make it up as he goes along.

They didn't give a shit what was written on the gun.  They took them regardless, so what's the point in avoiding some meaningless words?

Hell, for that matter, don't own any scary black rifles, since some cops think they are "machine guns".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top