Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 10:39:55 AM EDT
So I thought I'd try this question out here to see if it will shorten my research time. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a personally owned Colt 6920 that I use on duty. Here is the question.

Can I apply and recieve an SBR permit legally and put a 14.5" barrel on it.

I am full time sworn.

Please don't turn this into a 14 vs 16 topic. I own a chronograph to and really don't care what the bullet is doing beyond a couple hundred yards. Thats what The M1A and 700P are for.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it with an 11.5 barrel that I use for CQB but it has to retain post ban features, I dont know colt numbers but if it is an LEO rifle and you have a letter authorizing you to carry it, I would think it would be OK but I dont know the legal answer
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

What was the process and how did you go about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, if state law does not forbid it.

What you are trying to do is make a LE6921:

http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

I would be curious why one would spend $200, and have to deal with NFA paperwork to cut 1.5 inches off a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I filled a form 1 I think to make a SBR and once it was approved I bought the upper and put it on the now registered lower
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
LEO rifles have to be made/built completely by a C-2, and cannot be pieced together.  Read the BATF listing on LEO rifles.

As for a LEO SBR, Per BATF the LEO SBR needs to be built by a C-2 then transferred to the Department on a Form 5 for a tax-free transfer.

As for SBR'g a pre-purchased department owned LEO rifle, again, the rifle belongs to the department until it is gifted to you on retirement, even if you bought the rifle on an individual Ofc letterhead.  You can SBR a weapon that is personally belongs to you, not bought threw department on department letter head, but it still needs abide by the AWB due to not being department property/issue.

The down and dirty is to take the LEO rifle to a C-2, have Him install the SB, and register/transfer the SBR LEO weapon back to the department on a form 5.  When the rifle is gifted to you at retirement, either pull the Short barrel (remove the SBR from the NFA registry), or have the LEO SBR rifle gifted to you, then Transferred to you on a form 4 ($200 tax stamp) from the department.

Once gifted, the rifle belongs to you, and is no longer connected with the department as a issued weapon (even thought you paid for the rifle out of your own pocket from the start).
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
buy the time you put a fs on a 14.5" barrel you just about have 16". The barrel w/ out fs is 14.5" not with fs.

I would suggest you bypass the SBR and either have your barrel shortened and permenently attach a fs for 16" total barrel length, or you could get a 14.5 and permenently attach a longer fs or an A2 fs w/ washer behind it to get the 16".

Now if you want to go to a 10.5" or something, then maybe the SBR hassel would be worth it.

Now before you object to permently attaching a fs to your barrel because it will be hard to replace things, remember for $200 bucks you could just buy a new barrel and start over if something needs replaceing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
buy the time you put a fs on a 14.5" barrel you just about have 16". The barrel w/ out fs is 14.5" not with fs.

I would suggest you bypass the SBR and either have your barrel shortened and permenently attach a fs for 16" total barrel length, or you could get a 14.5 and permenently attach a longer fs or an A2 fs w/ washer behind it to get the 16".
View Quote

NOT!!!!!!!  When you add a standard FS, you only gain a 1"; you have forgot overlap of the threads on the barrel, and the FS.  

You have to Perm install a Longer FS than the stock unit to get you to the legal 16".  Also, start the measurement from the breach, and not the barrel extension.  On a legal commando barrel, the length is 17" from the back of the extension to the end of the FS.  The barrel extension is about an inch, but does not count as part of the barrel length.

But, again on the LEO, the BAFT requires it to purchased completely built from a C-2, so piecing one together is not allowed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
exactly, 14.5 plus about one inch is 15.5 which is so close to 16" that I was saying that it would not be worth $200 for the .5" reduction in length. Going way shorter might be i.e. 10.5" or the like.

I do have a question about fantom FS and those designed to bring 14.5" barrels up to 16" how much longer than a regular A2 FS are they?? .5" or longer?

ASA sells 14.5" barrels w/ a permently attached A2 FS and a larger than normal washer behind it. This is where I got the idea, and actually got the washer from ASA.

Am I way off here?
Help Help....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top