Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:08:30 AM EST
I'm looking for a led light to use as a weapon light. I have a g2 mounted on my bushy ,but I'm wanting something else. I don't want to spend alot .I've looked at the surefires but to expensive for me. I am also looking at the streamlight scorpion led. I just need a light for use around my home. I'll still use the g2 as a handheld. Anybody have suggestions. Is 42 lumens very bright? I don't need a real expensive light just a good, durable light to replace the g2 I have mounted on the forearm.

United We Stand, Divided We Fall
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:05:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By m44u:
I'm looking for a led light to use as a weapon light. I have a g2 mounted on my bushy ,but I'm wanting something else. I don't want to spend alot .I've looked at the surefires but to expensive for me. I am also looking at the streamlight scorpion led. I just need a light for use around my home. I'll still use the g2 as a handheld. Anybody have suggestions. Is 42 lumens very bright? I don't need a real expensive light just a good, durable light to replace the g2 I have mounted on the forearm.

United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Have you looked at the Pentagon L2? I love this light for its output and cost.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:37:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 10:52:33 AM EST by m44u]
Thanks I didn't think about the pentagon light. Any idea how long the led is good for? Also what about batteries. Do I need to use a certain brand or will any do?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:41:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 10:33:26 AM EST by Walt175]
How about BOG LED module for your G2? I put one in my Maxfire LX and it works great!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:17:37 PM EST
what's a bog ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:03:08 PM EST

Thanks I didn't think about the pentagon light. Any idea how long the led is good for? Also what about batteries. Do I need to use a certain brand or will any do?

The LED should last, nearly, forever. It uses the standard CR123 batteries. I would not opt for a LED on a (rifle) light. At longer distances they do not cut the darkness as well. I will be using a Pentagon X2 on my rifle.

In my experience the Pentagon lights are very good. I have a X3, L2 and L3. I've never had a problem with them.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:59:27 AM EST
The best long rnage LED for cheap money is the Pentagon L2. 5mm LED cluster heads wont throw at all.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:20:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 10:32:37 AM EST by Walt175]
BOG is Bug Out Gear. They sell accessories, clothing, etc etc.

www.bugoutgearusa.com/index.html

Check out the LED drop ins for Surefire flashlights. I have the 3 watt version.

Here's a link to a review of them.
www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:53:21 AM EST

I am also looking at the streamlight scorpion led. I just need a light for use around my home.
Is 42 lumens very bright?

The Streamlight Scorpion LED at 18 feet in my garage. Door panels are about 18 inches high, and 8 feet wide.

The Surefire P60 lamp under the exact same circumstances.

The new Streamlight TLR-1.

Any questions? The Scorpion LED is not quite as bright as the TLR-1, but throws almost as well as the P60. IMO the Scorpion tail switch SUCKS, and I would STRONGLY advise buying their TL-2 LED Gen II instead which has identical performance with the superior body of the TL series. HTH.

Paladin

on second thought, you might consider leaving your G2 weapon mounted, and trying the Streamlight 3C Twintask light for a handheld unit. It has a low level with 3 small led's, another level with 6 small led's, and a xenon "high" mode that is almost identical to the P60 output, but with a whiter light output and undeniably superior ergonomics as an impact "tool" compared to the G2.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:56:19 PM EST
M44U,

42 lumens is decent brightness for "around the house" lighting, but not quite bright enough for most to consider as "tactical" brightness. Your Surefire G2 with the stock P60 lamp is rated at 60 lumens (with new/fully charged batteries of course) so that should give you an idea.

But, you asked about an affordable LED light for around the house, and from everything I've seen, the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA LUXEON light is wihtout a doubt the most durable, most output and cost effective light for that purpose. It's a bit big to carry since it runs on 4AA's but for the car/house, it's awesome. About 45 lumens or so, and runs for 3.5hrs! If you find some lithium AA's it'll run for almost 5hrs. And now for the best part, you can get it for less than $30 here:

http://www.fox-intl.com/searchresult.asp?id=3034

And here's a review from another great site: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Now, if you guys REALLY want to know about flashlights....
www.candlepowerforums.com

Check it out! You think you know your stuff about guns? You should see what these guys know about flashlights!

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:59:14 PM EST
Aw crap. Just re-read and saw you were looking for a weapon light, sorry.

Umm, yeah, check out the BOG upgrades for your G2 (meaning get another one!)
Top Top