Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 5:06:39 PM EDT
I've been shooting for about 20 years, but today, I shot my new AR for the first time.

I had just shot off 100 rounds with my Glock to get warmed up.

I was impressed with the deep, resonant explosion sounding from each shot.  Wow!  It's been a while since I've shot a rifle.

I was expecting to be a better shot though.  From 75 feet (indoor range), I shot 40 rounds (that's every shot I took) in a grouping about the size of the palm of my hand.  I don't know if that's any good, but I don't see how I could shoot much better without a scope.  I found it pretty hard to focus my sights on the center of the target from that distance.  Guess what my next purchase is going to be???
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what you are talking about. 4 guns I have purchased in the past year. Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!!! Practice, practice and more practice.  Iron sights are a good start.  Opicts are not  the cure for poor shooting procedure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Addictivelittle suckers, aren't they?

Try a 6 oclock hold on the bull. see if you don't have a better sight picture and groupings.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
4 guns I have purchased in the past year.

"4 guns I have purchased in the past year."

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
4 guns I have purchased in the past year.

wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/Yoda.jpg

"4 guns I have purchased in the past year."

LOL!!!

But seriously, I have the same problem focusing on AR sights in an indoor range.

And yes, AR's have a great feel & sound when shooting them...they're a lot more fun the the MAK90 I used to have...that thing would beat me half to death.

My favorite is my AR 9mm...it is the best plinker I've ever owned.

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You thought you had fun today, wait 'till you take your first class and start really slinging lead dowrange!

As they say in the Vatican...

IT'S THE TITS!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You thought you had fun today, wait 'till you take your first class and start really slinging lead dowrange!

As they say in the Vatican...

IT'S THE TITS!

Like I said before, I've been shooting for many years, but mostly my handguns or other friends rifles.  I don't believe a basic intro course is right for me b/c I already know basic gun safety, basic target shooting principals (stance, grip, sighting, etc), and I can strip down and put back together my AR blindfolded.  I don't hunt b/c I don't like killing animals (I'd prefer to eat them without knowing how they got on my plate).  I got my AR mostly for target shooting and to prepare for armagedon.

What kind of class would you recommend for me?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've lusted after a AR for years and finally caved a few months ago, I am now a AR addict and anytime I see a movie with AR's I'm analyzing it
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Whats really fun is dumping an entire 30 round magazine downrange as fast as you can pull the trigger. With an Aimpoint at 25yrds (75ft) I got a palm sized group in a magazine. I have never really taken any formal course, way too expensive for me, but I guess I would recomend it if you liked learning and having fun. Something "tactical" might suit your fun needs. Plus you may learn stuff you never even thought of. Have fun, and enjoy your new AR. Let the customizing BEGIN!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
SEE what this EVIL gun has told me to buy so many mouths to feeds. No it is time to buy some K.I.S.S. rifles or some NFA stuff. First I think will be the new Halo supressor from Gemtech.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
SEE what this EVIL gun has told me to buy so many mouths to feeds. img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00194.jpg No it is time to buy some K.I.S.S. rifles or some NFA stuff. First I think will be the new Halo supressor from Gemtech.

That's an awesome collection!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait till you start shooting the variants!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome Grasshopper. There is no turning back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Sort of funny how these things happen ain't it?

I let my best friend run about 150 though my Bushy a few months back.

Now he is waiting on his very own rifle from our new freinds at CMMG.

I am currently waiting for my rifle to be de-clintonized.

Then my next purchase will be a new CMMG AR.
At his point I am leaning very heavily towards a 14.5 " MOD4 with a pinned 5C1 phantom.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top