Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 8:17:41 AM EDT
Hey all! First of all great site! I have learned quite a bit here! Outstanding job!

I just bought my first AR15. It was on consignment at a local gun shop, it is a Rock River Arms Standard A2 20". It is stamped 5.56mm LAR-15. The upper and barrel have no markings but the ticket on the rifle notes that it is a FN Upper?

Question:
1. What is an FN Upper? Is this the standard for RRA complete rifles or do you think this rifle was built with different uppers/lowers?(super noobie question I know)

2. Being that this lower is stamped 5.56mm will it be more accurate with military surplus, or commercail .223? (I cannot find any markings on the barrel to confirm 5.56mm)

Sorry for the noob questions. I am just trying to sanity check what info I have already found.
:)

Thanks in advance! I'll post a detailed range report later today.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
2. Being that this lower is stamped 5.56mm will it be more accurate with military surplus, or commercail .223? (I cannot find any markings on the barrel to confirm 5.56mm)

Sorry for the noob questions. I am just trying to sanity check what info I have already found.

View Quote

in my experience, commercial .223 is alittle more accurate than surplus 5.56, but the 5.56 is more fun to shoot b/c it is usually loaded 'hotter' (bigger fireball, bigger boom, etc..)
welcome to the site btw [:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There is much debate as to whether FN uppers can be had on anything but a GI rifle.  I wouldn't sweat it whatever it is.  That is one of the beuties of the AR system putting different uppers on the same lower.  5.56 chamber have a longer lead than .223 but sometimes civilian .223 has a slight advantage in accuracy, more so if it is federal or black hills match etc.

RRA does make their own uppers.  That doesn't mean of course that your rifle was built by RRA since it was a consignment piece it could have been built by someone.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey all! First of all great site! I have learned quite a bit here! Outstanding job!

I just bought my first AR15. It was on consignment at a local gun shop, it is a Rock River Arms Standard A2 20". It is stamped 5.56mm LAR-15. The upper and barrel have no markings but the ticket on the rifle notes that it is a FN Upper?

Question:
1. What is an FN Upper? Is this the standard for RRA complete rifles or do you think this rifle was built with different uppers/lowers?(super noobie question I know)

[red]Some companies say their parts are FN because they are made by the same contractors that sell to FN. FN is forbidden from selling to anyone but the government due its contract with them. Since the tag stated that it was an FN upper on a RRA lower I would guess that it was built by someone other then RRA.[/red]

[red]The marking on the lower has nothing to do with the chambering of the barrel. The barrel you have is probably a 5.56 but you may have to do some more research to find out for sure.[/red]

View Quote

Welcome to the site![beer]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome and congrats!  How's it shoot?  RRA is some good eq.
If it were me, I'd want to know that my upper is chamberd for 5.56 before shooting mil spec ammo(m193,xm193,m855 or anything marked 5.56)

Some say it does not matter, however after a review of the faq ammo facts, I'd rather be on the safe side.[:\]

Enjoy that cool "Black Rifle"[:D]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!  :)

What exactly does "FN" stand for?

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Fabrique Nationale

[url]www.fnmfg.com[/url]

edited for link
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
QUICK range report:

300 rounds Fired. No Failures of any kind.
100 rnds. S&B .223 55gr. FMJ
200 rnds. Winchester White Box .223 55gr. FMJ

Sighting in @ 25 meters

I can't be happier! Very nice groups both
standing and from the bench. Forceful extraction with all rounds in a nice pile at the 2 o'clock position. Trigger pull is crisp, with nill takeup noticed. Muzzle blast and kick a bit more noticeable with the S&B ammo.

I'll post some pics of rifle and targets later this evening.

[banana]

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
welcome, enjoy the disease!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
OH SHIT! You've contracted the "Black Rifle Disease"!

Welcome to the Club, It's a down hill ride from here.

Planning #2 AR yet, carbine?

Danny
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the warm welcomes! [:D]

Minuteman419: hehe, yup already pricing out a carbine upper. [heavy]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OH SHIT! You've contracted the "Black Rifle Disease"!

Welcome to the Club, It's a down hill ride from here.

Planning #2 AR yet, carbine?

Danny
View Quote

yep i'm working on my M4 upper right now haha
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the warm welcomes! [:D]

Minuteman419: hehe, yup already pricing out a carbine upper. [heavy]
View Quote

Cool! If you ever make it up around Lynchburg, let me know!

Carbines are cool!

Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds good Minuteman419. I am up near Charlotteville quite often.

Again, thanks everyone for your help! It's great to have a helpful group around when I get a new toy and lose my mind! LOL

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
If it is a true FN upper, it will have FNMI stamped on the Barrel. Could be made by an FN subcontractor, but if it really a RRA upper, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top