Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 8:04:19 PM EDT
I've been an LMT guy through and through but decided to grab a DDM4.  Great rifle with a finish better than my LMT's.  I'm also looking forward to shooting a midlength.

What I do like about the LMT more at first glance - grip (ergo), stock (sopmod), and the charging handle has a bigger latch than the DD does.  Other than that I'm thrilled with the purchase.

Now for help.  What rail did it come with?

And will this tool remove the barrel nut on this rail?

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
this: AR15 Lite Rail III™ 12.0 (Rifle)

yes, that is the barrel nut tool.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Lite Rail III
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
As others responded, that is the Daniel Defense Lite Rail III.

It is their latest and greatest rail.  Its also one of the lightest & best designed rails.  So enjoy it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is their latest and greatest rail.  Its also one of the lightest & best designed rails.  So enjoy it.

View Quote

I've got a 15" from SLR I'm replacing the RIS III with. Good to hear that tool will work though.

DD Rail to go on the EE as like new.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Your rail is the DDM4 rail. The Lite Rail III is identical but they call yours the DDM4 rail so they can tell if they installed it from the factory or if you bought it and installed it yourself. Thats why the Lite Rail III's have a different marking where yours says "DDM4 Rail 12.0". So all of the Lite Rail III's and Lite Rail III barrel nut wrenches are compatible with your rail. DD also makes a Daniel Defense "M4 rail" and a lot of people get it confused with the "DDM4 rail". They are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your rail is the DDM4 rail. The Lite Rail III is identical but they call yours the DDM4 rail so they can tell if they installed it from the factory or if you bought it and installed it yourself. Thats why the Lite Rail III's have a different marking where yours says "DDM4 Rail 12.0". So all of the Lite Rail III's and Lite Rail III barrel nut wrenches are compatible with your rail. DD also makes a Daniel Defense "M4 rail" and a lot of people get it confused with the "DDM4 rail". They are not the same thing.
View Quote

Thanks for clarifying. I've never had so much difficulty determining a rail, and the different markings and pictures were throwing me off. This sums it up well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations on a great choice in rifles and models.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Am I understanding right he is changing it out?  Why would you get a DDMV5 to change the rail?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Am I understanding right he is changing it out?  Why would you get a DDMV5 to change the rail?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's still a DD. I'm replacing the RIS III with a longer, slimmer, lighter rail and able to likely sell the unused DD rail for more than the cost of the newer rail.  I also liked that it came with a low profile gas block vs needing to shave the fsp of a v1 or something.

DD attracted me for its barrel (chf), gas system, and general excellence of build and customer service.  12" quad rails don't impress me...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for clarifying. I've never had so much difficulty determining a rail, and the different markings and pictures were throwing me off. This sums it up well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem. Awesome rifle choice by the way. I'd like to have a V5 someday.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because it's still a DD. I'm replacing the RIS III with a longer, slimmer, lighter rail and able to likely sell the unused DD rail for more than the cost of the newer rail.  I also liked that it came with a low profile gas block vs needing to shave the fsp of a v1 or something.

DD attracted me for its barrel (chf), gas system, and general excellence of build and customer service.  12" quad rails don't impress me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you post before and after pics?  I have a DDMV5 as well and am very interested.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my DD M4V5.

Just sayin...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Best quad rail out there IMO. Love mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you post before and after pics?  I have a DDMV5 as well and am very interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will. I already swapped the MOE stock for the Sopmod and changed the grip to an ergo as well as swapped the charging handle. I'll change them back and snap a pic then post the after when it has those goodies plus the 15" rail.

It'll lose a little DDM4 identity, but the stock, grip, and longer slimmer rail works better for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Excited to see what this turns into.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it might have been cheaper to build the rifle you wanted rather than buy and replace a bunch of parts
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think it might have been cheaper to build the rifle you wanted rather than buy and replace a bunch of parts
View Quote

I've had the 15" rail for months in a box awaiting a new build.  I also have kept the moe grip and mow buttstock, just put them on a lesser used LMT and swapped them out for the ergo and sopmod.

No extra money and will sell the quad rail for a good price.  12" quad rails are not my thing, nor is the low-end MOE gear.

Now the rest of a DD...good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Stop calling it a RIS. It's a lite rail III.

Dude why stop at 15", they got 8 foot sections of pvc at Home Depot.

Can you even justify the use of a 15" rail or are you one of the first to actually admit your doing it for looks alone.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you even justify the use of a 15" rail or are you one of the first to actually admit your doing it for looks alone.

View Quote

Exactly why does he need to "justify" using a 15'' rail? Who cares, he wants to use what he likes. Guess what? Everybody likes different stuff. Get over yourself.

Anyway... Nice gun OP, I am sure you will love it. One of these days I think I am going to get a DD rifle. Always wanted one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've had the 15" rail for months in a box awaiting a new build.  I also have kept the moe grip and mow buttstock, just put them on a lesser used LMT and swapped them out for the ergo and sopmod.

No extra money and will sell the quad rail for a good price.  12" quad rails are not my thing, nor is the low-end MOE gear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I don't think anyone would disagree on the MOE comment.  My MOE stock and A2 grip were replaced immediately on my V5 with a MOE+ and a CTR.  Added DD sights and red dot and of course sling, and done.  I have a spare parts box that keeps growing can't wait to finish up some builds.  I do think some people just have to do a take two on getting such a nice rifle with a nice rail to switch it out, but like the other guy said its your preference.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 6'3" and like the extended rail for a further grip
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh I don't think anyone would disagree on the MOE comment.  My MOE stock and A2 grip were replaced immediately on my V5 with a MOE+ and a CTR.  Added DD sights and red dot and of course sling, and done.  I have a spare parts box that keeps growing can't wait to finish up some builds.  I do think some people just have to do a take two on getting such a nice rifle with a nice rail to switch it out, but like the other guy said its your preference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, changing this rifle has been the most difficult as it comes pretty well equipped. Plus values of mismatched rifles to drop, but I don't plan to sell it.

I really don't like 12" quad rails as stated earlier. I'm a bit taller and like an extended grip out towards the muzzle.

Biggest dilemma now is do I change the DD flash hider for my griffin armament currently sitting on my lmt hog gun and make the DD the new hogger. The only difference will be the midlength gas system and few other variables of DD to LMT.

Decisions decisions
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#24]
He should justify it  to him self because guns that follow function over looks tend to get used more as are enjoyed more by their users. At the end of the day they are tools with uses, as toys they get expensive to feed and ignored. I was more snarky then I usually am and I'm sorry for that. I just think guys that have really long where that rail space isn't used are making a poorly thought out choice.  I choose 13" rails because where I put my hand there is just enough space for a light mount and kac micro.  I don't use tape switches and have no laser modules nor do I have a NV system that needs rail space.  Some would say a 13" rail is too long but I use the full 13", if i had my hand stop farther back I'd opt for the 11" if I could.

He can do what ever he wants but a big part of this forum is guys asking for advice. So we give it. If someone was going to do something that truly was a bad idea or really badly thought out (our OP isn't) would you just sit back and say "he can do what he wants"?

And at 6'3" with big arms a 15" rail is probably a good idea if you do the reachy grip.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top