BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/15/2006 11:21:15 AM EDT
I just bought a new Bushmaster lower from Impact guns. I noticed that the lower had the newer 6 position stock, but it has the older Bushmaster lower stamping. When I put the two halves together, the color was way off. The lower is a grey color. The upper is the standard black finish. My lower looks like and feels really shitty like it is parkerized. I figured it was just dry, but I applied some lube and the color was the same. Is this a problem? I know it just deals with how the gun looks, but I just paid $350 for a shitty looking lower. Any solutions? Should I contact Impact Guns and get a new lower, or should I contact Bushmaster.

SAMPLE
(Not Mine)

THIS GUN IS NOT MINE! I AM USING THE PIC BECAUSE IT SHOWS PERFECTLY THE COLOR VARIATION BETWEEN MY LOWER AND UPPER! I REPEAT, THIS GUN IS NOT MINE!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
We Need Pics
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We Need Pics

+1
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We Need Pics

+1

I'll try, I really do not have a good camera, I don't think I even have one. Leme check.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for pics.

Maybe it's not really as bad as you think. This is one of those cases where a pic is worth a thousand words.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Write down your serial number and call Bushmaster ask them to research it for you, see when your lower was manufactured. Or you can email them requesting serial number research information
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
tag for photos
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I have no camera right now, but I did find a perfect match in the pic thread. This is the M4 posted by Remedy, I hope he doesn't mind, just trying to solve a problem here.
Here is the adress to the pic (My pic-fu is weak) http://itrebel.com/media/downloads/BushyM4A3withLarue9andTroySights1.jpg

It is on page 3 of the pic thread, 1st of his pics, about 1/4 down the page. Sorry if this seems a bit improvised, I'm trying to get answers quick.

His lower+upper match looks exactly like mine. (Except I don't have his uber expensive gear)

I might be able to find the cam later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Who made the upper, i have a  Stag lower with a Model 1 sales upper that looks the same way,i dont think there is anything wrong with your lower.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Added A sample picture of what it looks like.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had grey uppers that turned nice and black once soaked in CLP and allowed to dry.  Thinner oils don't work.

If that doesn't work, then you can try getting someone at BM to take you seriously regarding the mismatch.  Good luck.

Or just get the can of Krylon and spray it all green.

I used Norells to good effect and learned a new painting skill in the process.  A guy's gotta have skills.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any ideas. Afterall, you do make and work on these things
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Trade it for a Hesse.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
just shoot it and be happy
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the serial number range on your lower?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats not bad at all. I'd live with it. The only time color match matters is if you were building a SP1 or the like that you wanted to look right.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
damn man if you can afford all that gucci gear..why not just buy a stripped lower that matches and just sell the other one..
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Just shoot it....hell, my upper is purple.....

BD
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh my gaaaaaaad! My lower is a different colorrrrrrr!

I'm sorry. Me personally, I think that's a really nice looking AR you've got. My advice would be to just shoot it and use CLP on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Am I wrong here or what? I always thought Colt and Bushmaster had a somewhat "greyer" color finish than all the others. Come to think of it so do the FN's. Seems like all the others out there are more black in color. Has anyone else noticed this?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I think you have a nice Rifle. But with bushie unless you buy the whole rifle at once there is going to be a color mismatch. They if I remember dont make there own stuff so the finish lot to lot is going to be diferent.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
damn man if you can afford all that gucci gear..why not just buy a stripped lower that matches and just sell the other one..

That's not his rifle, hence the "SAMPLE" statement at the top of the picture....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Oh my gaaaaaaad! My lower is a different colorrrrrrr!

I'm sorry. Me personally, I think that's a really nice looking AR you've got. My advice would be to just shoot it and use CLP on it.

That's not his rifle, hence the "SAMPLE" statement at the top of the picture....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
CLP - what does that stand for??????????
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Clean Lube Protect
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Not my AR-15

LOL, I wish I had one that looked that good!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
If you arent happy with it, send it back. I had an issue with some EAA Witness slides I bought, and had to return to the seller recently..He handled the transaction perfectly, and Id do business again with him again in a heartbeat.. Ill bet you will have the same experience.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]
+1, just shoot it.

if not have the upper and lower reciever refinished.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#31]
If you buy a lower and an upper from two different manufacturers - or even from the same manufacturer at different  times - and don't "hand-pick" them, why would you be surprised that they are different colors?

Just re-finish them together with some DuraCoat, Gun-Kote, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#32]
all of my bushmaster lowers have chameleon finish on them so i dont have to worry about it not matching
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Just to point out to everyone that is not his rifle,just a sample pic to show the problem he speaks of.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Lack of color match is absolutely common when mixing parts.  While you say the lower looks shitty, it probably looks damn fine when matched to an upper with similar color characteristics.

There is nothing wrong with it.

Just Shoot It
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Heat the barrel up and be happy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Bushies have been coming from the factory for a while like that. Mine is the same way, and I have seen many others. That is normal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
You will have color variations no matter what brand it is.

Just shoot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#38]
THE GUN PICTURED IS NOT MINE!

The gun was posted by Remedy in the pic thread. I used it because it appears on a finish level to look exactly like the finish match (or lack thereof) between my upper and lower. Currently the new lower is soaking in hoppes elite oil.

To be clear, my upper was manufactured as a bushmaster 14.5 A3 w/ perm Y-comp during the ban. I bought the complete rifle in the summer of '04, during the ban. I took the lower off for my new upper which is using an eotech at the moment. I bought this new lower to put on my original upper, which is outfited with an Aimpoint and larue mount, gg+g BUIS, as well as an m33 and a tango down VFG. (As well as a FH and bayo lug) The new lower is bushmaster, as all of my AR15 recievers are. All of my uppers and lowers come from Bushmaster. My newest upper matches the finish of the old lower perfectly, just as the old upper did. The new lower, however, neither matches the finish of my old upper, for which I intended to install it on, or my new upper. The lower is greyish, while both of my uppers remain black. All of my recievers match to a black finish except the new one, which is grey.

The picture illustrates the color variation between recievers, and in no way depicts the accesories on my rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Do you have felt attached to your brass deflector to prevent the brass from leaving marks too?

Dude, how the hell do you get the felt to match???????

LOL, I have two Bushys that were parted together and thank my lucky stars....THEY MATCH!

Bill

Edited to note that I realize that is not his rifle, as he mentioned he has no camera!
I don't want him to ALL CAPS ME in vivid color
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I just want something I paid $360+ for to match. I know I could blast it away and I'd never be affected or really care to much. Maybe my finish  matches up until now have spoiled me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Actually, if it really looked goofy, I'd be pissed. After all the GI Joe's I had as a kid, it is still a +$1K toy.

Bill

p.s. I actually do not, repeat, do not, fight or kill people with mine. Mine are for games, like a pool stick. I like pretty when the money stacks high.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I have some  Colt grey lowers with black uppers.  I must be crazy, I will dissolve them immediately. They are beautiful but the match is off-
 The color match between different batches of product will always be different. Extent of the difference will be out of your [anyones] control. Extent of the effect on your happiness, Buy a factory complete gun.  There you may be satasfied.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Actually, if it really looked goofy, I'd be pissed. After all the GI Joe's I had as a kid, it is still a +$1K toy.

Bill

p.s. I actually do not, repeat, do not, fight or kill people with mine. Mine are for games, like a pool stick. I like pretty when the money stacks high.

Get real, its a tool. If you like pretty, then go else where.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#44]
They're all going to laugh at you at the range!!!

Naw, slight differences are to be expected. Even on some complete rifles! CLP that bad boy and worry about your accuracy.  I have yet to see a bushmaster lower that was a "piece of crap!"

my .02...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmmm, is this about a rifle or a fashion statement?

Just shoot it. Who cares about a slight color mismatch if it shoots good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#46]
For what it’s worth…

Right before the Clinton AWB went into effect I rushed and bought a Colt Sporter Lightweight (AR-15 16”). I get the thing home, and can’t wait to tell my brother. My brother got home about an hour and couldn’t wait to tell me about his new Sporter Lightweight. (We tend to think alike about some things.)

These are identical Colts bought about one hour apart from the same gunstore. (Granted they might have been made months apart.)

My Colt is light gray his is a much darker gray. There’s more color difference between the two than there is between your upper and lower.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]
You got me thinking.  Mine doesn't match either.    Both are factory Colt assemblies.  

I'm gonna melt it down for scrap.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I did not just read this whole thread

Time to picket Bushmaster yet ??

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#49]

I don't think this is your personal board so I'll where the fuck I want to.
As a side note, this IS still America and it is MY money and I WILL do with it as I damn well please,
and not to please you. I am not your wife so keep it to your self and I'll do the same.

And to REPEAT, when I spend over $1K on a rifle of what ever, I don't think it is too much to expect it to look like the product brochures. I don't beat up my rifle to look like Rambo on the range. I compete with them and have done so since 1987. It just so happens that my rifles look at least 98% and I would be so presumptious to say I can shoot better than most on this board with their "battle scared" (lol) rifles with cup holders on the railed handgards.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I don't think this is your personal board so I'll where the fuck I want to.
As a side note, this IS still America and it is MY money and I WILL do with it as I damn well please,
and not to please you. I am not your wife so keep it to your self and I'll do the same.

And to REPEAT, when I spend over $1K on a rifle of what ever, I don't think it is too much to expect it to look like the product brochures. I don't beat up my rifle to look like Rambo on the range. I compete with them and have done so since 1987. It just so happens that my rifles look at least 98% and I would be so presumptious to say I can shoot better than most on this board with their "battle scared" (lol) rifles with cup holders on the railed handgards.

Bill

Gebus, you would think the AR is a modern art masterpiece.  Me thinks Valium is needed in this thread.............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top