Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 12:44:58 AM EDT
Reason I called it 'Jarhead' cleaning tips is because most of this stuff I learned while I was in.  Other reason is because while some of these ideas work really well, they may not be the best for the longevity of your parts.  

1) A .22 cal bore brush is excelent for cleaning the inside of your bolt.
2) An old bore or chamber brush will remove carbon from the gas tube end of the bolt really well.
3) Swirl an old cleaning rod (female end inside) around inside bolt carrier to get carbon off of the internal rims.
4) If you have a one stage trigger group, you can use the hammer (in the FIRE position) as a wrench to remove and retighten your bird cage FH. (Probably not the best for your AR, but good for field expediant)
5)Cleaning bore:  Put 2 mid section cleaning rods together and attach a .223/5.56 bore brush.  With upper reciever removed from lower, hold the upper with the muzzle twords the deck, and drop the non bore brush end down through the chamber.  There will be about 6" of cleaning rod protruding out of the muzzle.  Pull on exposed cleaning rod.  Repeat until you are satisfied.
6) Q-Tips. LOTS of em'.  
7)Not so much Jarhead, but definately invaluable.  Blowgun bolts!  Trust me, once you find one use for them, youll end up with a million more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah yeah, but are you published?

GySgt D
-author of the Fulton Armory website cleaning FAQ
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
And if you are done with it, before you would use the thing to Feed your child with.....
You might be one of those lesser animals on the planet.

Like the Dog and the Squid!

"I will keep it clean, even as I keep myself clean."

Techniques and tools are open for debate.
Intent and Mission readiness is never questioned.

Semper Fi!
S-28

P.S.
Ya forgot the stripper clip, and stripper clip liner as tools.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top