Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 9:24:52 PM EDT
Been waiting for the ban to end (and of course to rake up some more bank) and now I'm ready to jump on it. I've narrowed my search down to a Bushmaster A3. Now here's where I'm not so sure... I was thinking about the M4 (14.5 + 1.5) but then I saw the 16" M4 profile threaded barrel. Well there goes my initial decision.

I wanted to know positives/negatives of each. I'm leaning toward the 16 so I can change the FS without sending it off to a shop. Or is this a useless reason, what happens if I never want to change the FS. Is there any other use for the smaller area on the barrel right beyond the front sight. This is for attaching a launcher isn't it?

I'm guessing there isn't much if any ballistic differences between the two. I thought I read somewhere that the 16" would have a gas port longer meaning something about smoother action because of more travel. WOW, as soon as I put it down in writing I'm not so confident about that answer. I need some of the forum's ultimate wisdom.

ANYWHO... I'm going to call my local FFL and see what his cost would be. I know AIM Surplus has the M4 A3 for about $810 plus shipping. Are there any better deals. Does anyone know of any local dealers in the Orlando area that can compete?

Other additions in the near future include one of those Gapper plugs and about a K of ammo from ammoman.com. Any other things to put on my list? Optics aren't an option because of cash flow for quite a little while, but this will give me a thousand round to get decent at the iron sights.

This will be a nice addition to my evil black gun collection. One evil black G32 - check... One evil black Rem 870 HD - check... One evil black Bushmaster A3 - on the way. I know I got a bit off topic, but the joy of getting this bad 8i+
Thanks
Me

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
actually there is A LOT of difference b/w a a 14.5in bbl and a 16in bbl--the extra 1.5 in of bbl will get almost 300+fps more out of you 5.56

this is essential for ranges beyound 100+ yrds. for terminal ballistics and accuracy, so if you plan on shooting CQB, go w/ the 14.5in bbl

personally, i'll stick w/ the 16in for the threaded bbl and better ballistics
& BUSHMASTER--excellent choice!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are gonna use it as a self defense weapon also then the 14.5 is the best.Its the smallest and being able to change the supressor isnt going to matter.If you had to change the barrel then you get the whole assembly any way and the phantom is superior to the regular birdcage.Range and balistics is a moot point as what was true 60 years ago is true to day over 90% of infantry engagements take plave at under 100 yds and 75% of that well under 50 yds and the 14.5 is plenty enough.If you are taking shots farther than 100 yds go .308.The 14.5 is plenty lethal at the ranges realisticly encountered.If you use the rifle with in what it was designed for even the 11.5 is a relevant legnth.Try this site www.isayeret.com and see what the israelis think about barrel legnths as they use the 11.5 as a sniper weapon out to 300yds.Every legnth carbine and rifle they use they also have a compareable sniper version in that class.1700 fps is the velocity needed to make 55 grain perform at its best and be able to fragment and a 14.5 barrel holds that velocit out to about 110 yds.Plenty of punch at realistic range and if you need a new barrel and have to piece things out wich isnt even done in the sewrvice as the barrel assemblys come with the FSB on it only the flash hider is replaced.If I have to change out a barrel Ill just get the assembly with it already on as I dont switch out supressors on any of my field rifles any way.Go the shortest legaly available.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That would be 2700 fps, for reliable 55gr fragmentation. Not 1700.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
my bad see what happens when im up late.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top