Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:39:40 PM EDT
I recently built an AR lower, and I have been looking for a good deal on an upper. I plan to shoot mostly ss109 ammo through it and I was looking for a basic standard A3/A4 with a chromed 20in barrel. Well I got this offer and I don't know if its a good deal-

a DPMS HIRISE upper with a 22” Wilson stainless steel bull barrel, hogue free float tube with charging handle bolt and bolt carrier. Had a picatinny gas block. $525

Also I'm not really clear on what is meant by "Had a picatinny gas block".
I am not a real expert on ARs so I am deferring to the experts here. I If it is a good deal I will get it, I'm not really feeling picky I just want a good deal, and something I can shoot right away. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the price on the DPMS is okay, but if you only plan to shoot SS109 ammo, a SS barrel is not needed, a good CL will be more than accurate enough and easier to clean.

If you built you own lower, why don't you build your own upper the way you want it and save a few bucks in the process.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd pass...

DPMS HIRISE upper - YUCK
22” Wilson stainless steel bull barrel - YUCK
hogue free float tube - YUCK.

Somebody figured out their upper sucked and they're trying to dump it to buy a good one

If you built you own lower, why don't you build your own upper the way you want it and save a few bucks in the process.

I tend to disagree on that one... It's a lot more expensive to purchase the tools to build an upper as there are some "special" tools you really should have.  It's OK if you're going to keep building, or make a lot of changes, but for your FIRST upper, get a pre-assembled one so you don't have to worry about malfunctions.

Check over on the Equipment Exchange to see if you can find what you're looking for.  One of the excellent, board supporting Dealers like ADCO could get you into a lower like you mentioned for less than $525.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a good deal on an upper from Del-ton or several other dealers in the Industry forum.
I just got an upper A2 20" chromelined for a good price around 460.00 with shipping. excellent fit and finish the Rifle is more accurate than my bushmaster and a blast to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top