Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 7:29:45 PM EDT
Just got a FF rail on a rifle length.

I was checking it out--not shooting it yet as I just got it in.  I was holding the ffrail at the end near the front site and used my thunb to press against the barrel and I can see some movement.  Not loose but I can see it move.  Is that normal to have play?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think so, you've got a pretty good size lever there, would have to be one hell of a stiff bbl or rail to have zero flex 12" from the receiver.  Of the two I'd say the bbl would be more likely to flex than a ff rail because of the smaller diameter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would think so, you've got a pretty good size lever there, would have to be one hell of a stiff bbl or rail to have zero flex 12" from the receiver.  Of the two I'd say the bbl would be more likely to flex than a ff rail because of the smaller diameter.

It is pretty surprising to see how much it moves.  That reinforces teh need for one for longer barrels fo more accurate shooting.  Pulling hard on a strap would def. cause some movt. in POI
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The barrel movement is why you have a freefloat handguard.

As long as your sling/hand/bipod is on the float rail it shouldnt be touching and in effect changing the point of impact of the barrel.

If your Barrel had zero movement there would be no need to free float it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top