Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 7:09:42 PM EDT
I was checking out a new Colt A2 upper that I got, and I noticed this: the side of the mag well is slightly curved outward, on both sides, and when I mate it with a lower receiver, the walls stick out quite noticeably.  Is this normal or is it faulty?

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have one of my uppers handy to look at, but I don't think there should be any bowing in the upper receiver. Here's a pic I borrowed from M60joe's site:

and the receiver walls look pretty straight.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a Colt, so it must be correct, and everyone elses is messed up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Its a Colt, so it must be correct, and everyone elses is messed up.

C'mon, please give me your honest, serious opinion, I'm really bummed about this right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It wont hurt, but if it bothers you, you can fix it.

With strips of rubber or wood on both sides, use a large C-clamp to squeeze the sides in.

Keep checking with your bolt carrier, NO OIL on carrier or inside the receiver, that it slides back and forth easily.  You don't want oil masking any excess friction.

Just squeeze in the sides a little at a time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it back. I wouldnt take the chance of trying to "fix" it. If you f*ck it up you are at a total loss.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
where did you get it??
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Per all the upper and lower drawings I have, there is not suppose to be any "bowing" of either the upper or lower receivers.  Send that "junk" back to Colt for replacement.  It's not in spec.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all your replys, I got this upper from a fellow member off of EE, he's a standup guy so I'm sure we'll be able to get things straighten out(no pun intended).  Here's another shot that I've taken, now it looks like the bowing isn't only on the magwell part, but along the entire length of the upper receiver

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
if it aint a colt its a copy right?  

...Right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh, that just doesn't look right at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
if it aint a colt its a copy right?  

...Right?

I appreciate all your comments, but please, I do not want to turn this into a Colt bashing thread.  Any company can let a dud slip out of it's factory every once a while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a prior kB!?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Whos bashing colt?  

It really dosen't look right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Maybe a prior kB!?  

I originally thought that may have been the case, but the interior looked new, no traces of any possible KB.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Whos bashing colt?  

It really dosen't look right.

Yes indeed it really doesn't look right, hense I started this thread asking for your opinions. But that doesn't mean I want to hear unconstructive, smartass comments towards Colt such as the one posted by five5six and mjohn3006.

All I'm asking is whether this is normal or a defect, so I could decided whether I should send it back or not,  That's it.  If you don't like Colt don't buy em, I don't wanna hear it.

I appreciate all of you that have answered my question in a serious manner.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Just does not look right. How does it looked closed on a lower along the seem?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Not normal. Send it to Colt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Send it back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Send it back.  It does look like a prior KB, a mild one.  Ive heard of guys who have had this happen and just put it in a vice to staighten it out.  If its some one on the board Im sure they will make it right for ya.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just does not look right. How does it looked closed on a lower along the seem?

When mated with a lower (I tried several) The upper sticks out over the edge along the seam approx 3/32".  The left side(bolt stop side) appears to be worse than the other.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top