Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 6:14:05 AM EDT
Hey all, I have stocked up at home 1K rounds PMC XTAC, and 1200 rounds of Silver Bear FMJ/HP mix.. Should be plenty and fine for plinking..

(this will all be shot out of my 16" midlength BCM......)

BUT, i have been looking at some hunting/longer range ammo and this is what i have in my cart.. what do you think?

Black Hills (blue box) 60gr VMAX - 200 rounds

Black Hills (blue box) 77gr Sierra Match King Molley coated HP - 200 rounds

i can get PPU 75gr Match HP for about $35 cheaper for 200.....

$283.60 before shipping.... Shipping is $17.62

Total - $301.00 for 400 rounds.... is this worth it?!!?!!?!? or am i wasting my money?!

PLEASE ADVISE

this is all from ammunitiontogo by the way..
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with any of those per-se, and if you want to test a bunch of different ammo types out, nothing much else you can do.  But - buying piecemeal bits of ammo always works out more expensive.  Only you can know if you are wasting your money or not - depends on your individual outlook.

Personally, I always need to try everything out for myself, so I'd probably go with what you have (maybe adding even more brands but in smaller quantities), shoot/test it all, find the round I and my rifle likes, and then bulk order that one next time round.  Just my 2c.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with any of those per-se, and if you want to test a bunch of different ammo types out, nothing much else you can do.  But - buying piecemeal bits of ammo always works out more expensive.  Only you can know if you are wasting your money or not - depends on your individual outlook.

Personally, I always need to try everything out for myself, so I'd probably go with what you have (maybe adding even more brands but in smaller quantities), shoot/test it all, find the round I and my rifle likes, and then bulk order that one next time round.  Just my 2c.

Yeah, i started thinking about this exact thing... I have absolutely NO idea what my Rifle is going to like... even though the two above selections have nothing but excelent reviews, every rifle is different and i have no idea if it will shoot well from mine.. SO, i decided to hold off on buying more ammo and i spend $400 bucks on an Aimpoint PRO instead lol. Figure when i get home, i will go go cabelas, and buy 20round boxes of a bunch of different weights/bullet types/brands and see what my rifle likes then shop around for that particular load for the best price, and order in bulk.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you have not shot the rifle yet.  In that case, to be perfectly honest with you, I'd probably recommend holding off on buying any fancy ammo altogether just now - get that aimpoint on there and go and shoot all of your PMC and Silver Bear first and get familiar with the platform.  You may find that is all you need, especially if you are going to largely be be shooting 200 yards and less.....which I assume to be the case due to the unmagnified optic.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have not shot the rifle yet.  In that case, to be perfectly honest with you, I'd probably recommend holding off on buying any fancy ammo altogether just now - get that aimpoint on there and go and shoot all of your PMC and Silver Bear first and get familiar with the platform.  You may find that is all you need, especially if you are going to largely be be shooting 200 yards and less.....which I assume to be the case due to the unmagnified optic.  Have fun!

Yes, this is exactly what i was thinking.. I am still in Afghanistan until Late June, early Julyish.. And im pretty familiar with the AR15 platform, carry my M4 every day..  But the Xtac and SIlver bear will shoot fine for plinking and whatnot which is what i will be doing for the majority.. Thinking about getting some further training and possibly getting into 3 gun, but thats later down the road. I would love to expand my knowledge and skills though, being military trained doesnt meen Sh!t haha. I did SOME tactical shooter/react to fire drills before coming to afghanistan, but nothing too indepth..

And, i firmly believe that One can never know everything. Someone will always be able to expand my knowledge, and when it comes to shooting/weapons, well I doubt my thirst for knowledge will ever be quenched!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy here

Free shipping over $99. Good selection of better quality ammo, and the price is right about in line with ammotogo. I have bought from them several times.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Without commenting on the specifics of the ammo, in general I operate under the general rule that buying more ammo is NOT a waste of money.

Your dollars are being devalued everyday.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy here

Free shipping over $99. Good selection of better quality ammo, and the price is right about in line with ammotogo. I have bought from them several times.

thanks for the turp_dog! I just ordered 150 bucks worth of BH Blue box from them. ordered 1 box of everything from the 60gr SP and VMAX up to the 77gr SMKHP. figure ill try each box in the rifle when i get home and see how my rifle likes the loads/bullets

HERE IS MY ORDER:

M223R10 Black Hills .223 60 Gr. V-Max (R) - Box
60 Gr V-Max - 50 Count Box
Unshipped $32.00 1 $32.00

M223R4 Black Hills .223 60 Gr. SP (R) - Box
60 Gr Soft Point - 50 Count Case
Unshipped $27.50 1 $27.50

M223R5 Black Hills .223 68 Gr. HMHP (R) - Box
68 Gr Heavy Match Hollow Point - 50 Count Box
Unshipped $29.50 1 $29.50

M223R6 Black Hills .223 75 Gr. HMHP (R) - Box
75 Gr Heavy Match Hollow Point - 50 Count Box
Unshipped $29.50 1 $29.50

M223R9 Black Hills .223 77 Gr. SMK-HP (R) - Box
77 Gr Sierra MatchKing HP (R)- 50 Count Box
Unshipped $35.00 1 $35.00
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey all, I have stocked up at home 1K rounds PMC XTAC, and 1200 rounds of Silver Bear FMJ/HP mix.. Should be plenty and fine for plinking..

BUT, i have been looking at some hunting/longer range ammo and this is what i have in my cart.. what do you think?

Total - $301.00 for 400 rounds.... is this worth it?!!?!!?!? or am i wasting my money?!

PLEASE ADVISE

Do people still shoot moly coated projectiles?
It seems like, 15 years ago, everyone was using moly because it was supposed to make cleaning easier.
It was popular with the benchrest crowd.

Then, everyone figured out moly attracted water and caused the bore to rust.
Then, everyone tried to figure out how to get that crap out of their bore.
There was a big run on kroil when someone figured out that it would creep under the moly and
help lift it out of the bore.

Am I wrong?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PLEASE ADVISE

Do people still shoot moly coated projectiles?
It seems like, 15 years ago, everyone was using moly because it was supposed to make cleaning easier.
It was popular with the benchrest crowd.

Then, everyone figured out moly attracted water and caused the bore to rust.
Then, everyone tried to figure out how to get that crap out of their bore.
There was a big run on kroil when someone figured out that it would creep under the moly and
help lift it out of the bore.

Am I wrong?

Well, I am not getting the molly ones anymore. SO its all good!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Not what I would order, but I'd also have to say never delete. Just add. But I've got issues.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top