Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 8:44:28 PM EDT
Or a forging flaw from colt. It's an older c7 colt upper. Should I be concerned ?

Here's some better pics

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Too small, can't tell much.  But that would be a very odd place to get a crack (low stress)

Edit: looks like a scratch on the forging (pre-finish) to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too small, can't tell much.  But that would be a very odd place to get a crack (low stress)

Edit: looks like a scratch on the forging (pre-finish) to me.
View Quote

Thanks. I've been worrying about it since I saw it. Haven't got to use it yet and I'm not a fan of things blowing up in my face haha.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
looks like an upper that was re coated because of big flake off...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Oddly shaped to be a crack.  Best bet it is a finish imperfection.  You can always do the poor man's magnaflux.  Soak with oil and sprinkle fine flour around the suspected crack.  Wipe off excess flour and the part will retain flour in the cracked area.  Check to see if it goes completely through the part. You'll have to oil and flour both sides.  Messy, yes.  But cheap and pretty reliable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one that is cracked in that area, all the way through from side to side.
I'll post pics when I get home. I bought it off EE for 10$.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oddly shaped to be a crack.  Best bet it is a finish imperfection.  You can always do the poor man's magnaflux.  Soak with oil and sprinkle fine flour around the suspected crack.  Wipe off excess flour and the part will retain flour in the cracked area.  Check to see if it goes completely through the part. You'll have to oil and flour both sides.  Messy, yes.  But cheap and pretty reliable.
View Quote

Then deep fry at 350 for 45min.  Goes good with hush puppies.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that's a crack !

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top