Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:04:34 PM EDT
Is there really much difference between CAR stocks?  (not M4 type)
TONY'S CUSTOM UPPERS
AMERICAN SPIRIT ARMS
RRA
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Listen for a minute, and I mean this in a good way.  You have the worst luck of anyone I have heard of when it comes to buying parts for weapons.

Save us all a big headache, and look at the CMT stocks.

Try Teknic, he is a good guy with good prices and good service.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.nwtactical.net/sess/utn;jsessionid=1542f97e802f416/shopdata/index.shopscript
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Listen for a minute, and I mean this in a good way.  You have the worst luck of anyone I have heard of when it comes to buying parts for weapons.

Save us all a big headache, and look at the CMT stocks.

Try Teknic, he is a good guy with good prices and good service.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.nwtactical.net/sess/utn;jsessionid=1542f97e802f416/shopdata/index.shopscript

Are you gonna sit him down and confront him about his drinking too?

WIZZO

BTW +1 on CMT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I did some pricing.  Eagle Arms has the Stag/CMT lowers.  With LPK installed, the cost is $60 over the cost of a stripped Stag reciever.  Price of RRA LPK from them is $59.  I'll let them install the LPK for $1.  The cost of an installed M4 stock is $8 over just the stock.  I'll let them install that too for $8.  So, for $9 over the cost of a stripped receiver, LPK, and M4 stock, I'll let them assemble it.  This way, I know the parts are all there.  This is how I bought my last lower.  My saved time is worth more than $9.  My time saved assembling the lower is better spent on a good trigger job.  Price on B/BC/CH is $119.  May as well buy this too and save seperate shipping.

I found that the added weight of a M4 stock over a CAR stock is only 4 ounces (CAR=14.6 oz.; M4=15.0 oz.).  For the added strength and functionality, I can handle the 4 extra ounces.

I also found the weight differences of the following
16" light weight barrel (A1) = 23.4 oz.
16" M4 profile = 28.2 oz.
A2 upper = 12.8 oz.
A1 slab side upper = 8.0 oz.

I am going as light as possible.  I have an A1 slab side upper on the way.  This is a piecemeal rifle: built as funds allow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't that be .4 oz ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wouldn't that be .4 oz ?

Quoted:
Are you gonna sit him down and confront him about his drinking too?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I found that the added weight of a M4 stock over a CAR stock is only 4 ounces (CAR=14.6 oz.; M4=15.0 oz.).  For the added strength and functionality, I can handle the 4 extra ounces.

A2 upper = 12.8 oz.

I am going as light as possible.  I have an A1 slab side upper on the way.  This is a piecemeal rifle: built as funds allow.

Just a side note, but the A1 upper on a light weight looks goofy with a ribbed stock.... IMHO  Besides, if lighter is better, it isn't like the old style is going to break.

Take a look at this picture and tell me this stock doesn't look out of place.

That being said, and the above picture being posted, if you like the ribbed style better, go buy it.  I just figured I would impose my personal opinion on you for a bit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought two of each from Brownells.
The Tony ones has a different looking buffer. Round with no angles cuts. Think the rubber buffer was yellow colored. Tube was shiny.
The ASA ones I got had an ok buffer but the inside of the tubes are rougher than a dirt road. All kinds of grooves in the inside from machining. Shiny tube.
The Rock River ones were the newer style and are pretty nice. Dull tube stock a little loose correct looking buffer.
Got some of the Tapco new style stocks. They seemed ok to me but the buffer does not look great. Kind of foriegn made looking.
Have not tried the US  made old style Tapco has but I would guess the buffer to be the same as the new style.  
Got a DPMS old style from Midway. Tube was dull buffer ok but the stock latch does not have the spring pressure I think it should. To easy to compress.
The Rock River ones for me were the best buy with the dealer discount at Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#9]
CMT CAR stock on my carbine,

CMT M4 stock on my carbine, with M4 handguards,

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=188153

Enjoy.

This is a most excellent post/link.

Yes, it is .4 oz.  Sometimes my keybored misspellss stffu.  

The ribbed stock doesn't look out of place to me.  But then again, I like the dissipator look, with a pencil barrel.  I am also the one who always seems to buy more junk than others.  With CMT/Stag, I have had excellent results.  To me, both stocks look fine.

Thanks for the reply on the various stocks you purchased.  Without a forum to discuess such things, we would be in the dark.

I'll probably use the standard CAR handguards over the double heat shield M4 ones, because the standard ones cost much less.  As with most things in life, money is a factor.  Gasoline jumped 10 cents overnight here this week.

I only want to drink when I am at work, honest.  Being a doormat is not everything that it is cracked up to be.    I have another SIX years before I am vested with the City of Atlanta, and am able to receive a low pension.    After that is done, I am heading to Phycian Assistant (PA) school, or earn an RN in the meantime.  With either, I can earn a living in another country: travel the world, and pay my way at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Every city cop I know, myself included ends up with some disability, I would guess that city firefighters are busy enough where they are injured pretty often as well.  Hold out for the tax free injury status, sure the constant pain hurts, but at least you get bragging rights.......or that is what I've been telling myself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Every city cop I know, myself included ends up with some disability, I would guess that city firefighters are busy enough where they are injured pretty often as well.  Hold out for the tax free injury status, sure the constant pain hurts, but at least you get bragging rights.......or that is what I've been telling myself.

Here is the problem with that.  The CITY OF ATLANTA, the cradle of the Civil Rights Movement where it was equality and fairness for all, found a way around that.  I fall under a new pension governed by the Americans With Disabilities Act.  If I am injured to the point of not being able to work as a firefighter, the WONDERFUL AND JUST City of Atlanta can move me to ANY OTHER position in the City at equal or LESSER pay.  If I am injured to the extent of being 100% disabled (not able to work in any capacity), I can only get 50% of my current salary at the time of my on-the-job accident.

The old pension, which the MERCIFUL AND RIGHTEOUS City of Atlanta replaced, offered a pension of 75% of salary if a firefighter could not return to work as a firefighter.

Currently, the HOLY AND HALLOWED City of Atlanta Fire Rescue Department (AFR) is busting us ('reclassify' is the official word) Fire Medic II's from Grade 15 pay BACK to Grade 12 pay.  But somehow, AFR is able to 'reclassify' an EMS Captain to EMS Section Chief and magically create three Lt Medic positions, while the Fire Medic II's are being busted to a lower pay grade, and with it, a lower pension.  The Fire Medic II program was started in 1986.  Apparently, we have been overpaid for 19 years, and it just took this long for someone to catch the mistake.  ARF is currently UNDERPAID 23% compared to comparable fire departments.  AFR consistantly has the HIGHEST customer satisfaction record every year compared to every other City department.  So, no need to pay us what we are worth, when everyone is happy, except us firefighters.  I wish to take this opportunity to give a big love, hugs, kisses, and F#%k YOU VERY MUCH to the NOBLE AND VIRTUOUS City of Atlanta Fire Rescue Department.

In case you are wondering, there are 20+ more Fire Medic II's who share my exact situation and sentiments.   And we are fighting it all the way.  Know any good attorneys?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
If nothing else, it makes me glad to see someone else screwed over besides just me....  Can you transfer to another city/ county, or doesn't it work that way in your state?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A2 upper = 12.8 oz.

Just a side note, but the A1 upper on a light weight looks goofy with a ribbed stock.... IMHO  Besides, if lighter is better, it isn't like the old style is going to break.

Take a look at this picture and tell me this stock doesn't look out of place.
www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1101155235.jpg

That being said, and the above picture being posted, if you like the ribbed style better, go buy it.  I just figured I would impose my personal opinion on you for a bit.

Stick,

That is one of my favorite pictures of yours.  I don't see anything goofy about it at all.  It may not be "period correct" but it still is a nice looking carbine.  I sure wouldn't mind having one like it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If nothing else, it makes me glad to see someone else screwed over besides just me....  Can you transfer to another city/ county, or doesn't it work that way in your state?

It doesn't work like that.  If I moved to another FD, I would start at the bottom again.  I have 9 years in.  I will use those 9 years to get 15, and then out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top