Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:47:44 PM EDT
I was thinking of re-barreling an existing upper. As best I can tell several companies make mid-length gas systems which is what I'm leaning towards. I was curious if there was a standard for "mid-length" that all manufacturers used or if every company does something different.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about a Novoske barrel but need to run conventional handguards on it. I was wondering if the handguards sold by Rock River Arms might fit the Noveske system.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:49:48 PM EDT
Yes, its standardized. Well, I think there was one small hold out, but they are not a serious factor in the civilian market. Everyone uses Armalites dimensions.

Why use standard handguards on a Noveske?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:53:48 PM EDT
Can anyone advise how much longer the handguard is on a mid-length versus a normal carbine handguard?

As far as why, to fit in an electric locking rack. My current rifle barely fits and I'm running a Surefire M500AB handguard/light on top and a non-M-4 lower handguard to make it fit in the rack. I've found a bigger lock but don't know its dimensions yet.

(I know the M500AB won't fit a mid-length if I re-barrel it)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:25:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ajp3jeh:
Can anyone advise how much longer the handguard is on a mid-length versus a normal carbine handguard?

As far as why, to fit in an electric locking rack. My current rifle barely fits and I'm running a Surefire M500AB handguard/light on top and a non-M-4 lower handguard to make it fit in the rack. I've found a bigger lock but don't know its dimensions yet.

(I know the M500AB won't fit a mid-length if I re-barrel it)

The mid-length handguards are about 2 inches longer than the carbine handguards.

The carbine is about 7" long while the mid-length is about 9" long.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:26:52 PM EDT
Guys,

Thanks for all the quick answers......
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ajp3jeh:

Most free-float options are thinner than M4 handguards and they'll give you better cooling plus let you get the accuracy potential from that Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:46:58 PM EDT
CMMG clearly didn't know the standard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:51:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By THellURider:
CMMG clearly didn't know the standard.

Story?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:58:55 PM EDT

Most free-float options are thinner than M4 handguards and they'll give you better cooling plus let you get the accuracy potential from that Noveske barrel.

Thanks for that tip. I just measured my current setup and it is 2.5"x2.5". The sticky tells me I should have several options that are smaller.
Top Top