Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2013 8:48:27 AM EDT
I have an email sent out to Bushmaster asking when mine was made based on serial number and model number but I'm wondering if anyone knows exactly when Freedom group bought out Bushmaster and the quality went down hill. Mine is at least 6 years old, bought it at a gun show used.

Is there a serial number database or anything else that I can reference?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It either says Connecticut or Maine.This should probably tell you all you need to know.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It either says Connecticut or Maine.This should probably tell you all you need to know.

Well no because Freedom Group bought Bushmaster long before they moved manufacturing to NY not Conn and closed the Windham facility.  In other words Bushmaster in Windham, Maine was producing AR-15s while owned by the Freedom Group.  

OP you might posting this in either the Windham or Bushmaster Industry forums
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well no because Freedom Group bought Bushmaster long before they moved manufacturing to NY not Conn and closed the Windham facility.  In other words Bushmaster in Windham, Maine was producing AR-15s while owned by the Freedom Group.  

OP you might posting this in either the Windham or Bushmaster Industry forums

Thanks for the correction.Just passing own what Ive been told.Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Well mine was made in Windam, ME but I guess thats still no guarantee. Hopefully Bushmaster emails me back with the date that it was manufactured.

Does anyone know the date, or roughly the date, of when production was taken over by freedom group?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster closed it's doors on Mar 31st, 2011 I think.   I suppose the last firearms produced there was sometime in the previous months or weeks.

Bushmaster(Maine) was purchased in April 2006.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bushmaster closed it's doors on Mar 31st, 2011 I think.   I suppose the last firearms produced there was sometime in the previous months or weeks.

So when did the quality of the rifles go to hell? Was it shortly after April 2006 or March 31st, 2011?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The quality has never "gone to hell". Where did you get this false idea? They are not the best but certainly not the worse. I own several from different eras and they are all pretty much the same.

How do these myths get started?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when did the quality of the rifles go to hell? Was it shortly after April 2006 or March 31st, 2011?

Thanks

It depends if you count the purple Bushies that are out there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I'm not so sure the quality actually went down.   They just had some competition that made a better product.   Bushmaster is not as bad as some make them sound.  Obviously there are lemons however.  Personally I feel today's Windham made rifles are better than the Bushmaster(Remington) rifles.

Are you having issues with yours?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I'm not so sure the quality actually went down.   They just had some competition that made a better product.   Bushmaster is not as bad as some make them sound.  Obviously there are lemons however.  Personally I feel today's Windham made rifles are better than the Bushmaster(Remington) rifles.

Are you having issues with yours?

Zero issues with mine. Just wanted to know what era my Bushy was from.

I guess my choice of words was lousy, their quality has not "gone to hell" but I have heard from many people that the overall quality of their rifles are not as good as they once were (pre Freedom group)
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have an email sent out to Bushmaster asking when mine was made based on serial number and model number but I'm wondering if anyone knows exactly when Freedom group bought out Bushmaster and the quality went down hill. Mine is at least 6 years old, bought it at a gun show used.

Thanks

Bushmaster
Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban

Does your serial number even start with an "L"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Bushmaster
Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban

Does your serial number even start with an "L"?

Bushmasters I have seen start with "BFI"...
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The quality has never "gone to hell". Where did you get this false idea? They are not the best but certainly not the worse. I own several from different eras and they are all pretty much the same. How do these myths get started?

It's something to do with putting out junk.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Both the L and BFI serial number prefixes predate the Freedom Group acquisition. I have lowers with both and they were purchased before 2005.

I wouldn't worry about which era it dates from. Pre-Freedom era rifles had quality control issues, too. I know firsthand.

My thinking on Bushmaster rifles is if you push it hard and it runs fine, you most likely have a rifle that will serve you well. The lemons tend to reveal themselves pretty quickly once you put them through their paces.

I had one Bushmaster (16-inch hbar circa-2003) that never malfunctioned in approximately 8,000 rounds. I had another (20-inch government profile circa 2005) with severe short-stroking issues due to several QC issues with the rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top