Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 2:40:06 PM EDT
I need to condense my ammo storage and the best way to do this is load all my mags with ammo.  The reason I haven't done it is that I'm hesitant to keep the mags loaded for an extended periods because I hate to keep those springs compressed for months at a time.

Am I being over cautious with my mags?   Is it bad to keep the mags loaded for months at a time?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on how many mags you have.  If you don't have too many, it means you aren't shooting your gun enough if you keep the mags loaded.  This is a very bad thing and may get you bannd from this board.

Seriously, metal fatigue is cause by the metal constantly twisting, keeping mags loaded won't harm the spring.  Constant use will weaken the spring long before keeping it fully loaded will.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Most here have strong need to unload magazines regularly.  Don't resist.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
No, it wont hurt to leave it loaded.

But if you don’t unload them regularly, you might become depressed, anxious and get grey hair.

Some choose to unload by hand as a substitute but, this is highly unrecommended (and uncalled for).
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
On a more serious note, your mags will last 100 years or longer if left unloaded. They will last (and be operational) for about 99 years if they are left loaded for the entire time.

Load them up or leave them empty, just remember that they are a lot heavier to move around when loaded.

Bob
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top