Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:11:22 PM EDT
Is fireclean used to clean and lube the bore?
If not, what products are recommend to clean and lube the bore on a very nice rifle that is NOT chrome lined.
I'm assuming you can use it on all other metal parts. Didn't know about the bore. Also do you use it on the exterior metal surfaces of an AR or is there another product for that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup it does it all
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
So I would not need to use a solvent in the bore? Just fireclean?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this barrel stainless or unlined carbon steel?

Fireclean is not going to have copper remover or otherwise be optimized for bore cleaning, the way a specialized bore cleaner will work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:50:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not 100% sure. I know the barrel doesn't have any liner. What would be some recommended products for this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not 100% sure. I know the barrel doesn't have any liner. What would be some recommended products for this?
View Quote

Hoppe's #9 is the traditional choice, there are probably 500 bore cleaners, what will work best for you depends on your shooting style and expectations as well as what kind of barrel you have.

Interesting that you have the name of the new very expensive supercool ubertactical firearms lubricant but don't know what kind of barrel is on your rifle.

There's a bit of difference between the typical bore care regimen for, say, a Lilja or Krieger 416 stainless benchrest barrel which fires no more than 50 shots between careful cleaning, and a rack grade chrome lined blaster barrel where you run a bore snake through it after you're done magdumping a case of Tula.  Or the various options in between those extremes.

Fireclean has a lot of hype, which if it is to be believed, seems to indicate it's good at removing carbon.  But it doesn't have any copper remover, and is very expensive to be flushing away in dirty patches.

Bores do not need lubrication, and unless you have an unlined/untreated carbon steel barrel, should be left dry after cleaning.  If you do have a bare carbon steel bore... the traditional technique is to put a corrosion protectant in there, then clean it out right before shooting.  Need to exercise some caution if you intend to just shoot it without removing the protectant.  After a little bit of thought and only anecdotal testing I generally use Boeshield in that application, just run a wet patch of it down the barrel after cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
OK. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the bore is bare steel but will verify that. I'm very new to this so I'm just trying to learn the best way to care for the barrel.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top