Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 6:37:54 AM EDT
That gun shop on 44 minutes sure had a lot in stock if they are illegal to own in California?
Can you own them in California or not?
Thanks..
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, but I think that the situation in California with AR15s is rather like Microsoft's Windows XP in the rest of the country: You can have license to keep it (continued possession is not guaranteed) and you [u]must[/u] have it registered to be legal.

Nice, huh?  The trade off is of course all the sunshine, surf, and multiculturalism they get to enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=159037]California lowers- an update[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
You can own them if you had them (and registered them) prior to the cutoff date (IIRC it was 01 Jan 2000).

You can't buy a real AR-15 now.

The dealer may have them for Police Dept purchase - or they may be the FAB-10 models which use a fixed capacity 10 round magazine (you have to break open the rifle like a shotgun to load it).  Those are perfectly legal and they can have all the evil pre-ban features.

They look like regular AR-15s w/o the magazine till you look at the bottom and see the magazine well is covered up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Back in Feb. 1997, it was legal for a citizen to purchase a new AR15. Now, because of that incident (mostly), it is no longer legal. The only AR15 that a citizen may posess is one that was bought and registered prior to Jan. 1, 2000. By the way, if you move here with your AR15, sorry - the registration period has ended. Nice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
That sounds Suck O to me !!!  I'm in Florida where anything goes but was just wondering about California !!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top