Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 2:38:11 PM EDT
Well I've exhausted all the resources and I am just curious if Hornady 75gr match cartridges will work in a chrome lined 1in9" barrel.  I obtained a box and I wanted to make sure I won't be doing any damage.

Also, can someone please point me in the right direction for information on breaking in a new barrel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
IT may shoot real well, it may not shoot real well.  Either way it will not damage the gun.  Try it and see if the gun groups well with it.

Edit:  Chrome lined breakin procedure is shoot about 200-300 through it then clean.  Nothing to it.  Do not try to break it in like a match gun, just shoot it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
For home defense it should be great, but for groupings at distance is may be a bit heavy. It all depends on what you are looking for it to do.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sir, Hornady 75s (either BTHPs or AMAXs) are fine in a 1:9 barrel. Lots of high power guys with 1:9s run Hornady 75s with good accuracy out to 600 yards. I've personally run Hornady 75-grain BTHPs out to 600 in a 1:8, and while they're not as good as 80-grain bullets, they still do quite well. I've also gotten decent (1.5 inches) groups with Sierra 77-grain Match Kings off the bench at 100 yards in an RRA 1:9 mid-length with iron sights.

Hope this helps.

Ron_H
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sir, Hornady 75s (either BTHPs or AMAXs) are fine in a 1:9 barrel. Lots of high power guys with 1:9s run Hornady 75s with good accuracy out to 600 yards. I've personally run Hornady 75-grain BTHPs out to 600 in a 1:8, and while they're not as good as 80-grain bullets, they still do quite well. I've also gotten decent (1.5 inches) groups with Sierra 77-grain Match Kings off the bench at 100 yards in an RRA 1:9 mid-length with iron sights.

Hope this helps.

Ron_H

my 1:9 keyholes 50% every 75gr load I've tried.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Ron_H

my 1:9 keyholes 50% every 75gr load I've tried.

And this is what you will encounter most often. I have been in high power for a long time and good accuracy out to 600yds is not what I have seen in a 1-9 twist with these bullets. It is only used for lack of an appropriate barrel and twist (1-7 and 1-8) in these faster twist barrels it is excellent for the 300 yd line and while decent grouping is seen at 600 yds, the 80 gr. will be the best here. I have benched many 1-8 match barrels and chronographed loads at 100yds and while some barrels will shoot sub MOA with the 75 gr. most will only do about 1 MOA.

For self defense in a 1-9 the accuracy level may be fine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For home defense it should be great, but for groupings at distance is may be a bit heavy. It all depends on what you are looking for it to do.  

+1 won't damage your rifle, but it probably won't print exciting groups at 100yds either.

there's only one way to find out
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
As you can probably see from the responses above, the variations in barrels are such that the only real way to find out if your particular barrel will shoot the heavy ammo well is to try it out, and try a couple of different brands of ammo as well while you're at it.

Find out what your rifle likes, and shoot lots of it!  Keep your rifle and yourself happy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well I've exhausted all the resources and I am just curious if Hornady 75gr match cartridges will work in a chrome lined 1in9" barrel.  I obtained a box and I wanted to make sure I won't be doing any damage.

Also, can someone please point me in the right direction for information on breaking in a new barrel?

Thanks

Won't damage the barrel, for break in just shoot a couple hundred rounds and clean it. Also what barrel length? From my 16in barrel I get about 1.5 MOA with 75gr BTHP(black Hills blue box) at 100 yards. Never had issues with keyholes. If you have a 20in barrel it should do better as it gets a little more velocity and that helps a bit. It also shoots fine out of my 1/9 twist 11.5in barrel, though i need to do some more testing on that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
A twist of 9 will correctly stabilize 223 bullets up to about 0.92" length. You can use the Greenhill formula for that (I'd use 170 as a constant for 223):

Greenhill Formula

I don't have the length of an Hornady 75gr handy (I use 68gr), but it should be about 0.9" IMO

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks

Forget asking, (ya got the rifle, ya got the ammunition) just shoot them and see if they'll group IN YOUR RIFLE.

Then you'll know.

IMO, Ron H's post is total , HP shooters rarely shoot 75grn. MBTHPs outta 1/9 twist barrels from the 600 yard line, (that said their are plenty that have used the 75grn. AMAX "loaded long" in 1/8 and faster twists, from the 600 yard line with excellent success).

Mike

ps - based on my experience w/ the chrome-lined 1/9 twist, your rifle better have longer than a 16" barrel (ie 20" or longer) to stand any chance of coming close to MOA at 100 yards using 75grn. match BTHPs, (unless you have them loaded screaming hot, for ultra-high velocity can compensate somewhat for lack of twist and barrel length, but again IMO doubt you'll get them that hot without over-pressure issues)  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Sir, certainly the Hornady 75-grain BTHP is not the prefered bullet for 600, but I shot them across the course for two seasons, and I know others who still do. The folks I know running 75s in 1:9 barrels are doing so either because (A) they don't handload .223 or (B) their barrels won't stabilize 80s. You're quite right that 1:9 is not the best choice for full-distance high power.

Hope this helps.

Ron_H
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1...

For plinking or QCB, its a winner...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Forget asking, (ya got the rifle, ya got the ammunition) just shoot them and see if they'll group IN YOUR RIFLE.

Then you'll know.

IMO, Ron H's post is total , HP shooters rarely shoot 75grn. MBTHPs outta 1/9 twist barrels from the 600 yard line, (that said their are plenty that have used the 75grn. AMAX "loaded long" in 1/8 and faster twists, from the 600 yard line with excellent success).

I made Expert shooting nothing but Hornady factory remans loaded with the 75 HPBT all the way to 600, but I did use a 1/8 barrel.

I now shoot the 75 HPBT for 200/300 and the 75 AMAX to 600 in a 1/7.  I am testing Nosler 80s to see if the switch is worth it.  I'm looking for more elevation consistency and reduced group size.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 on barrel length, that is going to be important in this case, with a 1/9 twist, I don't think there's any way it would properly stabilize from something shorter than 16", even then it's hit or miss depending on how hot the stuff is and exactly how long the bullet is, from a 20" you are probably safe, I shoot 75 gr hornady OTM's from my 1/9 20" Colt HBAR with sub 3/4 MOA groups being the norm rather than the exception with optics, no indication of keyholeing. From a longer barrel you are almost sure to be GTG so long as it is loaded to decent pressures.

That's my opinion on the subject anyways.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A twist of 9 will correctly stabilize 223 bullets up to about 0.92" length. You can use the Greenhill formula for that (I'd use 170 as a constant for 223):

Greenhill Formula

I don't have the length of an Hornady 75gr handy (I use 68gr), but it should be about 0.9" IMO

The first formula of that page is wrong though, since it should be "D x D" on the right side

- Ice
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top