Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 11:26:18 AM EDT
Wich is the best in terms of accuracy and general use?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]

I was always more accurate with my irons...mainly because the 4MOA dot covered so much of teh target.  I used my Aimpoint for speed and low light.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
aimpoint offers a 2moa dot and eotech has a 1moa dot.

reddots offer speed
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wich is the best in terms of accuracy and general use?

Red Dot.
In the battlefield targets are moving. Your scared, your hearts racing, you can feel your heart pounding in your chest, your trembling, your palms are sweaty, your nervous beyond belief. It is not a good situation for iron sights. The sights take alot longer to properly line up. In combat your moving, your targets are moving, and everything happens very fast.

With the red dot sighting systems such as the EoTech and the Aimpoint, you simply place the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Simple, something that comes as a godsend in a combat situation.

Iron sights require time and clear mind to use properly. You must line them up in order to make the critical shot. With moving guys running through a street, the shot will be hard to take. The red dot is much easier and will result in an increased combat effectiveness for the individual soldier. No reason to stick with iron sights, other than as backups for when the red dots may fail (RARELY).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Stationary Target - Iron sites
Moving Target - I used to think red dots. After firing all available, illuminated chevron (It's an upside down v- like a sgts stripe). It is instinctively better than the dot- I don't know why.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
quote from Burkey

Red Dot.
In the battlefield targets are moving. Your scared, your hearts racing, you can feel your heart pounding in your chest, your trembling, your palms are sweaty, your nervous beyond belief. It is not a good situation for iron sights. The sights take alot longer to properly line up. In combat your moving, your targets are moving, and everything happens very fast.

With the red dot sighting systems such as the EoTech and the Aimpoint, you simply place the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Simple, something that comes as a godsend in a combat situation.

Iron sights require time and clear mind to use properly. You must line them up in order to make the critical shot. With moving guys running through a street, the shot will be hard to take. The red dot is much easier and will result in an increased combat effectiveness for the individual soldier. No reason to stick with iron sights, other than as backups for when the red dots may fail (RARELY).

Excellent response... any one care to dispute  it........

People tend to forget that red dots were not designed to compete on the manicured lawns of Camp Perry  wearing a jacket and gloves all cinched up with a leather sling shooting from prone and having 1 min for slow fire,etc....

The Dot of Death is a quick and reasonably accurate optic to get a bullet into a bad guy at acceptable accuracy (4 MOA)

Both Irons and red dots are good in terms off "accuracy and general use"  You just need to define what your "general Use" is gonna be......
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
People tend to forget that red dots were not designed to compete on the manicured lawns of Camp Perry  wearing a jacket and gloves all cinched up with a leather sling shooting from prone and having 1 min for slow fire,etc...

But they work just as well there as iron sights do.  Red dots are very popular with the bullseye pistol shooters, not just the "action" guys.  

Both Irons and red dots are good in terms off "accuracy and general use"  You just need to define what your "general Use" is gonna be......
I'm sure there's nothing you could do with irons that you couldn't also do with a red dot, provided the dot and the front post covered the same area on the target.  (The possible exception being that no dot sight I know of allows for easy BDC adjustments like the match rear sights, but that's not really an "iron vs. red dot" argument.)

I also believe that there's little you could do with a red dot that you couldn't also do with irons if you had the time to line them up and enough light to see them.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The trick to shooting with a dot is to make sure that it is centered between the edges of the target. Instead of trying to cover a certain point of the target with the dot, just make sure that the dot is equidistant from the sides of the target and pull the trigger. If the target is narrower than the subtend of the dot, it is probably still taller than the dot. Center it so that the target peaks over the center of the dot and fire. Don't worry about subtend.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
from Mike_L

I also believe that there's little you could do with a red dot that you couldn't also do with irons if you had the time to line them up and enough light to see them.

And there in lies the beauty of the red dot sight, it is faster and not dependent on ambient light conditions which in my humble opinion makes it head and shoulder's better then irons....

If general use includes day/night/ fast and slow (which it does in my world), then a red dot will excel over the iron Sights.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Both, I use the red dot for general shooting out to 100 yards, and the iron sights for anything greater.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top