Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
Guys,

I had entered AR world just recently (been on a “dark” side for long time).
Anyway, I have a question (hope not so dumb) about standard iron sights apertures mounted on a carry handle. Here it goes: on my M4 clone the “small” unmarked aperture has a hole shaped as a cone with the wide side pointed toward the eye. This is done (at least I believe so) to reduce glare from the back lights. Now, the “large” 0-2 marked aperture has a cone faced toward the muzzle. This does not make any sense to me. So, could any one come with any reasonable explanation for this or at list look at your own AR’s and confirm that this is what it should be and not a manufacturing “sh@t happens” on my weapon.

Thank you all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The small arperture should be cone shaped toward the muzzle flat side to muzzle.The 02 arperture should be a large coneless ghost ring type.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
small hole=distance shots (use this to sight in)
bigger hole=CQB

unlike the AK, ARs have decent sights to begin with to reach out and touch something
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
so far every time I fire my AR or hell even my buddies AR I always use the small aperture.
However is there a difference for each one? Like hte smaller one for "up close" and the larger one for "farther out"? Or how the hell does it work?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so far every time I fire my AR or hell even my buddies AR I always use the small aperture.
However is there a difference for each one? Like hte smaller one for "up close" and the larger one for "farther out"? Or how the hell does it work?

other way around
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the bevel of the large aperture faces the muzzle, the bevel or dish of the small aperture faces your eye.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top