Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:16:41 AM EDT
Hello:

I had an AR15 10 years back and am looking to buy one again. I had not realized the large number of pistol caliber conversion uppers now available & humbled by my lack of knowledge about them. It was great to find this forum & I hope someone can offer me some advice before I go much further.

I am considering the purchase of an upper in .50ae along with the base rifle. Does anyone have any experience with this round in an AR15?

My reasons for considering this round over a Cor-Bon based system one are that .50ae ammo is "reasonably" available locally & costs less per box. I am not a reloader yet & will do most of my shooting initially with factory loaded ammo. I've seen 20-round Speer as low as $18.25 in .50ae.

Ballistics seem on par with the .45 Win Mag which I recall as being more than sufficient for most deer out to 75-100 yds. Am I on the right track here or would you recommend another direction entirely. My main application for this rifle would be brush hunting (deer), self-defense, & range.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

robotstalk

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you Tony Rumore @  Tromix
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]

I've been to the Tromix site & have seen their upper.

I am looking to get opinions of this conversion from an end-user if at all possible.

robotstalk
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Thank you for the feedback. This is the type of info I am lookng for as well as impressions from a .50ae shooter. So far, no one has said I am out of my tree for being inclined to go this route so I'll take that as positive.

robotstalk
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife loves her's Tromix Sledgehammer.  It's a blast to shoot, my wife never complains about the recoil and it really leaves nice big holes.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wife loves her's Tromix Sledgehammer.  It's a blast to shoot, my wife never complains about the recoil and it really leaves nice big holes.

Steve

Pretty cool; pretty special wife! (Mine has committed to getting her LTC this year.) Thanks for the feedback too!

robotstalk
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top