Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:45:10 PM EDT
While loading up mags from my XM193 Lot 52 I had the usual for this lot, alot of rounds not seated deeply enough (crimped below the cannelure) and some too deeply but the oddest find of all.   A lone round with a painted green tip.  I dont know whether to shoot it and hope it's an M855 that just got mixed in somehow or disassemble it for components.   I figure if the 62gr M855 bullet found it's way into the line while loading 55gr M193 it may be loaded overpressure and cause a KB??  If they are loaded with the same charge I can just shoot it and forget it but if ???   Anybody know?  I figure I've shot about 600 or so rounds from this lot and that's the first green tip I've seen.   Hell I've never seen it in any of the other lots I've shot either.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
XM193 is already loaded hot for a 55 grain bullet. If the same charge is under a 62 grain bullet, dangerous pressures may well be generated. For less than 20 cents, I wouldn't take a chance. For that matter, if it was me, the whole lot would be going back. Crimped out of the cannelure my ass! The dealer can sell that crap to someone else.

Edit to clairify who should sell the crap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If Troy, Tatjana, or Brouhaha would like I'll gladly send them a box or two of unopened XM193 to verify that the rounds are not seated consistently.  Who knows maybe all the rounds would be perfect, and maybe they'd find a green tip... ??    Just for verification for anyone that would call BS on these QC problems with this lot.  Had em too long to return to the dealer I bought them from.  I try to keep at least 1500 or so on hand and tend to shoot a single lot at a time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I just measured a box of XM193 and the lengths ran from 2.245" to 2.250" long.
The maximum length for 193 ammo is approximatly 2.260".

If you have access to a set of dial calipers you can measure your ammo and see if it falls in the same area.

In the ammo you have, is the cannelure still visible in the rounds that were seated to deep or is the cannelure not visible at all. And on the ones that were not seated deeply enough, is the entire cannelure out of the case neck. I'm not sure how bad your ammo really is. Got any pics?

Larry
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll get a pic up in the next day or so, the cannelure is clearly visible.  A randomly opened box shows a normal looking round at 2.240" a not so bad but longer one at 2.246".  It may not seem out of spec but remember this is out of the same box.  Not the longest or shortest I've seen just a random sampling.

Edited to add:

My camera is a cheapo POS so I dont know what detail will show but I'll try.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Sort through some ammo and find some that are on the extreme of looking long and looking short and measure them. I think you're going to have to measure a few to get a better indication of what's going on.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Larry

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry guys, it'll be a few days before I get to this.  My mom passed away friday and I'm just not really into it right now.   I'll get to it though and post back in a week or two.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
As well. My best as well. Be well and see you back soon.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top