Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:13:35 PM EDT
I want to tie a loop around the front sight in order to attach a 2-point sling but I don't know the proper procedure for doing so.  I want to make it a true loop so that I can clip a sling onto it.  Sorry, I wasn't a boy scout so knots are not my thing.  Is there a certain way this should be done for maximum strength?  Tell me there's a set of detailed instructions on the web.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
550 cord doesn't really have instructions.  Use your imagination.  Square knots usually work well.

Pinch a length of cord in the middle, and tie a knot to form the loop.  Wrap it around as much as you want, and put a square knot in it.

I don't mean to sound snide, but there are no instructions on Jerry-rigging.  That's the bueaty of it!  Experiment.  There is no wrong way to do it (as long as it doesn't fall off!)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Just kidding.

The photo is from team member markm from this thread (more pics there) link.

For instructions on how to attach your 2-point or IDF sling with paracord click the link below.

DSG Arms Industry FAQ link

For instructions how to attach it to the stock, here's a link to the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
A hangmans noose works well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I punch out the front swivel and loop it through the swivel hole and then the rear of the FSB so its attached at 2 points.I make it like a figure 8 and then melt the exposed ends.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the USGI M16 top sling adaptor kit.  Thread the wire from the kit through para cord to silence it.

www.northridgeinc.com/1005-406-1570.htm
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the same kit.  At least when the 550 burns through I still have the wire holding the sling on.

I can't remember how many mags in quick succession it took to melt 550 on the front sight.  I think it was around 6.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top