Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 2:59:19 PM EDT
I just dropped off my BM upper to have a KKF A3 Tac Brake installed in place of the Mini-Y Comp and the gunsmith went on and on about how welding the brake in place could damage the barrel to the point where I'd have to reparkerize the entire upper. Is he just nervous because he's never pinned and welded a post-ban brake or does he have a legitimate point? Is his point only legitimate if he doesn't know what he's doing?

Just a little nervous...

Glenn
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The area where the pin is welded over will need to be refinished, but that is it.

Most gunsmiths are uncomfortable with attaching devices to muzzles and it sounds like yours is trying to make an excuse not to do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
So... do you think I should get my upper back and send it to a gunsmith (like me223 on this board) who specifically says he can do the install? Or is it not that big a deal?

Thanks again,

Glenn
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I know guys like Kurt have done this so many times over, that they probably can do it in their sleep.

As far as preparking the whole upper, I don't see why he'd say that.  I mean if anything he'd have to do the barrel if he messed up that much, and if he did mess up the upper, then maybe he has no business saying he's a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Box it up and send it to Kurt at KKF.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you post the urls or email addresses to smiths that can do a good job on an install? Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top